Never a Good Thing

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Russ, the rings are butting for sure. Here is a pic of the top and second ring. You can clearly see the shiny spots on the ends where they were rubbing. And at .034 gap. I should be able to spray with a 300 shot and be ok. They butted with Diamond and CP pistons. The engine didn't smoke but it is evident that oil was getting into the chamber which is what I would expect to see if the rings were butting.

Ray, the cylinder walls will wear before the rings as they are much harder. As for the locked timing, the only time the engine is at low rpm is when I'm driving around the pits in first or second with out any load on it. I doubt that 33 degrees would cause a problem under that scenario. HOWEVER, when one runs into an odd problem, sometimes the solution is equally odd!
. How can you tell if the shinny ends are from the initial file fit or from butting? This is getting stranger by the hour!

RCampbell

Well Known Member
I don't understand either. If the rings are butting I would think they would mark the cylinder walls. I have no experience with NOS. If it is too lean it makes a lot of heat..but that shows everywhere...plugs...pistons...???..not just rings

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Maybe you could gap the second ring a little more , gas may be being trapped between the top and second ring causing ring flutter as Russ mentioned.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have been basing my answers on common sense knowledge. This is getting past my pay grade. I think it's time to go through the piston, ring and cylinder bore and ask, what is different about this setup than others.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Since we know that the rings transfer heat fron the piston to the cylinder walls and if they don't you will have more heat in the piston and rings can we ask why the rings may not be making reasonable contact with the cylinder. What oil are you using for the Dyno pulls?

RCampbell

Well Known Member
If the rings are butting ????it is not from flutter or pressure To butt..the rings would have to grow in length. That could only be a product of heat. I would guess that since aluminum expands more than carbon steel... the heat required to expand the rings would cause the pistons to drag the cylinder walls. Don't see how the rings could be butting without the heat showing elsewhere

RCampbell

Well Known Member
I might suggest...when you put it back together...file fit your rings...you select the gap...black the filed ends with a felt tip. Run it on the dyno...pull it down and look at the filed ends. Make sure you truly have the condition you suspect.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What changed? I think you had lots of runs when you tore it down a couple of years ago. You rebuilt it and if I remember correctly you had Piston problems. Maybe not. You've probably been through everything in your trouble shooting, but maybe run through it all in print for the guys that know something.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rings are butting for sure. If you look closely at the pictures, you can see the darker grey area where the rings were ground and not touching verses where they are shiny and polished from touching. In person under magnification, it is very clear where the ends were rubbing and have a polished appearance and have polished most of the marks from grinding off. The bores looked like shit. I didn't take pictures of those before I had it honed. Yes it puzzling. My engine guy who has seen the parts is scratching his head also and he is no slouch. Just this weekend he is at Beach Bend tuning two cars he did engines for that Qualified #1 and #3 in mx235. Both cars in the final have his engines. I'm going to look over the plugs again.

Dave I did have problems before. Bad piston rock and butting rings. Rings were gapped at .028. Sent total seal pictures of the rings and they said they were butting for sure and to open them up to .034 which is what I did this time. This time also have different pistons that cured the rocking, or I should say cured it as much as possible given the lopsided and top heavy nature of the design.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Are the pistons scuffed from dragging the cylinder walls? Or is the cylinder scuffing coming from the rings only?

RCampbell

Well Known Member
NOS is known to collapse the top ring land. Roll a ring around the land to make sure there isn't a tight spot. Pay attention to the depth

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are the pistons scuffed from dragging the cylinder walls? Or is the cylinder scuffing coming from the rings only?
Rings only. Only a couple light marks on the piston but that's to be expected given the material that came off the walls. This is an n/a engine no nitrous.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 29