NHRA Hot Rod Reunion

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
7 sleeps and now officially counting. Depart for USA on Fri May 27th. Heading to Portland and catch up with Dan (tripower) in the first week. A bit of drinking and a few lies along the way no doubt, down to Stockton, hopefully catch up with Dave (boxerdog) and then over to Kentucky. WHOOOO HOOOO.

Gav

alloy409

Well Known Member
Everything looks like it's coming together for Bowling Green. Just like last year at Mason Dixon, we're in need of a good photographer and/or videographer. If anybody is interested or knows someone who might be interested, please let me or Martin know.

Dick Mackenzie was nice enough to do it last year since he wasn't racing but he will be a race participant this year. Any volunteers?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
7 sleeps and now officially counting. Depart for USA on Fri May 27th. Heading to Portland and catch up with Dan (tripower) in the first week. A bit of drinking and a few lies along the way no doubt, down to Stockton, hopefully catch up with Dave (boxerdog) and then over to Kentucky. WHOOOO HOOOO.

Gav
Gav I forgot to tell you. Dan is a green tea drinker only. No alcohol.
How else do you think he can get so much done in his shed??
:D

Steve

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I've been working all weekend, every weekend, on the 63 to try and get ready. Remember last fall when I got all the runs in the clearcoat? A couple of weekends ago, I decided to take it up the road; I got about 3 miles and the bolt came out of the center u-joint and made the car stop. I went home and got the trailer and brought it back to the house. I backed the trailer in the garage and winched the car off but it got stuck on the ramp. I gave the winch some slack and pushed the car over the hump ( here's where it went to hell), I didn't notice that the winch hook came loose and the car rolled off the trailer, into the drill press and against the post of my lift. It broke the drill press off at the base and bent the rear cove area and the trunk lid; now I'm working on fixing more stuff that I caused.
Long story short, there's no way I'll be racing this car at Bowling Green, I only signed up to help make the 32 car field anyway and it looks like you guys have that covered very well. I instead signed up for the show and shine and should at least have the car presentable by then, The good thing is, the show is not a competition, just a chance to get with you guys and drink too much.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yeah Mearl I am busy making my own problems too. All I did was put a plug in connection on my mini starter, missed the wire when I crimped it down and my nightmare started there. The wire I missed is the wire that feeds the CD box with power when the starter is turning over. I had a hunch this was the problem when I decided I could jump power to the coil so I could time the engine, that didn't end well. Smoked the CD box and the + coil wire. Fixed all that and installed my backup CD ignition. Now the engine starts but backfires through the carb when I crack the throttle. Bad ignition box?? Since I don't know how to check the Accel 300+ ignition I bought a new MSD 6AL digital box. The only other thing I did different is remove the vacuum advance can from the MSD distributor and put in the block off plate, and oh yeh, proceeded to pinch the hall switch wire between the distributor and the cap right through the insulation on one wire. Repaired that with liquid tape. I think I'll hire a real mechanic and go have a beer.

Last edited:

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
:yup
Ray.
If you ever feel the need to teach the 60 a lesson with your .45 please reach out to your friends first.
I'm sure they can help.:D:hug

Steve

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ray,when you removed the vacume adv did you pin the ignition or just let it float?
MSD dist. Had the vacuum advance lockout/block off plate included. No float. After the problem though I had to get my head around the whole block off lockout thing all over again. I have also checked the ohm readings on the coil. Haven't Achieved the enlightenment on the procedure to check the hall switch yet but when I spin the distributor with a volt meter I have seen as much as 7 volts register. I have to assume that any reading means the hall switch is triggering as intended? That leaves my backup CD ignition as suspect. The backup unit spent a winter in the camper outside and may have picked up moisture due to the temp variation here.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ran the wildfire at msple grove last night. Did a freakin wheel stand! Woke me up. The annpuncer said i did a real good job making a replica of the real wildfire car. Thats hilarious! What a ass!
What kinda times did you run ? The car was fun I bet

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gav I forgot to tell you. Dan is a green tea drinker only. No alcohol.
How else do you think he can get so much done in his shed??
:D

Steve
Well might just have to slip a little in to my tea anyway and then help out in the shed. LOL