Ordered A Lift

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We added 3 Asymetrical lifts to the shop back in the mid 80's. We had the floor sawed up around where the post were mounted at each location. Then the existing cement was drilled around the edges of the sawed areas and rebar put in and tied. The cement was poured. When it set they just installed the lifts. So you may just be able to reinforce the area where the lift is mounted.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My 4 post isn't even bolted down. Never moved yet!
The beauty of a 4 post, is that it only requires 4" of 3000 psi reinforced concrete and some come with casters. They can be moved around. Very convenient. Also only require 110 current. My 2 post required 220. Originally, I had planned on a 4 post, but didn't figure in about 3 extra feet of ramps and this would have collided with the garage door, so I couldn't do that, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
The beauty of a 4 post, is that it only requires 4" of 3000 psi reinforced concrete and some come with casters. They can be moved around. Very convenient. Also only require 110 current. My 2 post required 220. Originally, I had planned on a 4 post, but didn't figure in about 3 extra feet of ramps and this would have collided with the garage door, so I couldn't do that, Carmine.

Mine is 220 volt. Bendpak HD-9 I think is the model number. I think they are all 220. We put about 5-6 inches of concrete in the area where the posts would be since I knew I was putting one in just for a little added security.

The ramps are removable but I leave mine on since they don't hit anything.

Junky

Well Known Member
I have a Bend Pak HD9XW, and it is also 220 volt, although you can get it in 110 by requesting it. I have a drive through garage, so I have ramps on both ends. My ramps are steel, and the last thing that I want to be doing is taking them off and on. I only with that I had kept my other Bend Pak lift instead of selling it when I bought this one. That way, I could have had room in the garage for another car.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If I was working under a 4 post, I would want it bolted down. Now if just parking under it that would be okay for me with no bolts.

Junky

Well Known Member
Mine isn't bolted down, and there have been times, that when I am wrenching hard, it will shake a little. When it first happened, I was shaken a little. Now, I am just used to it, but I do stop what I am doing, and look for a different way that isn't going to shake the lift. Bolting it down wouldn't work for me, because I sometimes move it around in the garage.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mine isn't bolted down, and there have been times, that when I am wrenching hard, it will shake a little. When it first happened, I was shaken a little. Now, I am just used to it, but I do stop what I am doing, and look for a different way that isn't going to shake the lift. Bolting it down wouldn't work for me, because I sometimes move it around in the garage.

Don't think I ever worked on a lift that didn't shake. You want some wobble? Large trucks on 6000 lb Asymetricals :confused Spooks you the first couple of times, then you just reach up and shake it back to front and move on.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I haven't noticed much movement in my 2 post when i have a car on it, although I'm sure there is probably some shaking taking place. I can't stress this enough and it's my own opinion. When I have a car as high up as it can go on the lift, I then put tall jack stands under it. These are rated at 2000 lbs. each. One under the rear and the other under the A frame. I screw them up to make contact and just a little bit more. Put stress on them. We should never forget that our lifts are nothing more then mechanical. Cables. Hoses. Hydraulics. Electric. Can be subject to failure. Some friends ask if those stands might save me if things don't go well. I don't know. Don't want to find out either. I do know they offer some peace of mind when this car I am working under is 6' plus in the air, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
The lifts I had used in a dealership have the safety catch that falls into a cavity as it raises , that is the click click noise as you raise the vehicle. Some guys lower the lift without pulling release lever and let the catch seat in the notch and takes pressure off of hoses By doing that it makes the lift more solid because the arm platform is resting on safety latch .

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have seen some really nice drive on
four post lifts at swap meets that have the roll around casters. .They even have the jack feature so you can raise axles and remove wheels l. If I had the height and room I would have one of those. That would raise any vehicle I have.

bobs409

Administrator
The Bendpaks have a catch about every 4 inches. The one thing that bugs me about this lift is that to release the safety locks, you have to use air! I only put my compressor on when it's needed and many times I have to put it on just for this. Luckily I have a small portable compressor I can use instead of filling up the 60 gallon! It doesn't take much air to operate these and I've been contemplating making something to eliminate the compressor... Still thinking on that... :rub

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The lifts I had used in a dealership have the safety catch that falls into a cavity as it raises , that is the click click noise as you raise the vehicle. Some guys lower the lift without pulling release lever and let the catch seat in the notch and takes pressure off of hoses By doing that it makes the lift more solid because the arm platform is resting on safety latch .
Yes, mine has those safety catches. I hear them click about every 4" or so. I raise the car slightly higher then I want it, then let it down on the arms to lock in. No pressure on the system at all. Then the tall jack stands. On mine, the manufacturer recommended that the clicking coming from both towers, be simultaneous with each other. I had to make some simple adjustments to achieve this. I believe the thinking behind it is, when the arms stop and rest on the safety catches, they are level across from each other. Anyway, works for me, Carmine.