Poor boys 409 project

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wouldn't worry too much about the moisture, most of Colorado only gets two weeks worth of rain anyhow :D

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
083_zpse7b9a9da.jpg

087_zpse85d4fd2.jpg

088_zps520a969b.jpg

091_zpsf9589b4e.jpg

089_zpscb04b7be.jpg

090_zpsfb0f47e2.jpg

092_zpsb88adbb4.jpg

094_zps7a9abbf8.jpg

Thanks to the guide on this site, I think shes a '64. But...

Neither the block or the heads have a date cast in em, least not that I can find. Found the 'CFD' on the block and heads, the block has a '163' on the bellhousing flange, and the heads both have '115.' Dunno what those mean tho...

I'm used to small blocks having something like 'L 6 7' (letter, number, number) for a date code, can't find anything like that on this engine....

Kevin,
Yes, that is the casting number for 1964, the 163 casting date, with the Oct 1 build date, make it a bit confusing.
115 should be the casting date of the heads.

Great engine, though it looks like another one of those automotive geniuses:rolleyes was doing that installation... IE, car valve covers installed backwards, ect... that truck distributor is pretty dull as well:rolleyes

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
NICE FIND!! 163 would be the Julian date code, June 12th. 115 is April 25th, from the chart http://www.348-409.com/datecodes.htm.
One of the heads on my 422 64 engine was also cast on 115, the other 134. My block was cast 155. Stamp pad is T0916QC, assembled a couple weeks ahead of yours.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Kevin, That is not the truck motor that came in it. That is a 340 car motor. Way better!! Good going.

Bob

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks for that info Aubrey and Ron^^^

Check this out...Put the truck on Denver Craigs under parts, and some local dude recognized the truck and he calls me last night, kinda pissed off and demands, "WHERED YOU GET THAT TRUCK!? DID YOU BUY IT FROM SO AND SO!? SO AND SO TOLD ME I COULD HAVE THAT TRUCK FOR $2500!! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THE 409!? This world is too small sometimes.....

Are chrome valve covers/air cleaner/oil fill breather correct for a Biscayne/Bel Air/non-SS Impala with a 340? Thanks! Kevin

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for that info Aubrey and Ron^^^

Check this out...Put the truck on Denver Craigs under parts, and some local dude recognized the truck and he calls me last night, kinda pissed off and demands, "WHERED YOU GET THAT TRUCK!? DID YOU BUY IT FROM SO AND SO!? SO AND SO TOLD ME I COULD HAVE THAT TRUCK FOR $2500!! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THE 409!? Goofy bastard. This world is too small sometimes.....

If you're needing parts call me at 303-524-2690 or send me a message here on the board. I'd rather not ship big parts, but maybe we can work something out. $800 for the whole truck, I do have a title.

Also, I'm now in need of a stock 348-409 car distributer, a chrome single snorkel air cleaner and base, and a 465 intake manifold. If it has a fill tube and a chrome breather that would be cool:cool:

What are the correct crank and water pump pulleys for a '64 340? Are chrome valve covers/air cleaner/oil fill breather correct for a Biscayne/Bel Air/non-SS Impala with a 340? Thanks! Kevin

Contact Phil on here, he can likely supply much of that.

Don

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just picked up my first 409 today. Because of my budget I've been limited to six-bangers and small blocks, and a 409 was just a pipe dream...Until this truck fell in my lap a couple weeks ago.
Always felt like an outsider here cuz I didn't have a 409 (awwww shucks) But now ha ha ha, I feel like I'm gonna be somebody:D

Great find. I'm not sure what scrap iron brings there, but that truck would bring $800 just in weight here I think. I would HATE to see that happen to a super truck like that though. I kinda know how you feel and after years of haunting this place I've finally am getting some 409 stuff too. I must say that NO ONE here ever did anything to make me feel like an outsider.....I just did a little anyway. You are going to have one cool '63. The older I get the more the thought of a 4 door doesn't bother me at all. Espescially the Bel Air & Biscayne models. Keep us posted.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
"Are chrome valve covers/air cleaner/oil fill breather correct for a Biscayne/Bel Air/non-SS Impala with a 340? Thanks! Kevin[/quote]"

Yes

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Great find. I'm not sure what scrap iron brings there, but that truck would bring $800 just in weight here I think. I would HATE to see that happen to a super truck like that though. I kinda know how you feel and after years of haunting this place I've finally am getting some 409 stuff too. I must say that NO ONE here ever did anything to make me feel like an outsider.....I just did a little anyway. You are going to have one cool '63. The older I get the more the thought of a 4 door doesn't bother me at all. Espescially the Bel Air & Biscayne models. Keep us posted.

Kind words ^^^ thanks. Always liked this forum. Since I was in info processing class in high school:D 4 doors don't bother me either, I like em for cruisin.

A local dude wired me a $200 deposit on the truck a couple days ago. He's a trucker who lives pretty close to me. He says he has a 348 for it and wants to put it back on the road. Gave him a month to come pick it up, seems like a cool guy.

Thanks for confirming that, Grub:cool: and btw she's going in for paint in 2 weeks....Kevin

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is awesome about the guy keeping the truck on the road. Maybe one year I'll be able to make it to the convention or the shootout. Sure would love to meet everyone in person and see the cars.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
"Are chrome valve covers/air cleaner/oil fill breather correct for a Biscayne/Bel Air/non-SS Impala with a 340? Thanks! Kevin
"Kevin don't wonder about a 4 door 409. build. Back when i had my new 64 409 , 340 horse i had a guy come up to me with his bought new 1963 impala white 4 door sedan and red interior with a 400 horse 409 4 speed and asked me if i wanted his motor or anything i wanted as the bank was going to reprosess his car, behind on payment's. I told him i did not want to switch motor's but i did exchange my chrome single snout air cleaner for his chrome oval dual snout air cleaner for free, otherwise i had all chrome item's as he had . he ordered this car as he had a family , but wanted room and still have a performance car. So yes they did build those 4 door 409 car's, so you would have something not seen very much. After racing and wining race and seeing my motor i had guy's saying i had a 400 horse 409, which i explained the dual snout air cleaner, which i liked better than the single snout. Build it!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes[/quote]

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Kevin, You will easily have the coolest 4 door around. Look how many guys built 49 Anglias as gassers because it was hard to find a 2 door.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Since I was in info processing class in high school:D 4 doors don't bother me either, I like em for cruisin. I don't have to get out when people in back gotta pee.

Nothing wrong with all doors, Kevin! Our own Ronnie Russell had a fine example until recently. Of course, you may have to go to K&N air filters to get this kind of performance!