Poor boys 409 project

Ryan Burman

Well Known Member
Now that was a great story. No shame in a 4 door! Trust me I know.:beer First car show you take it to it will blow minds, everybody will think you got a 283 and and it's just a cruiser but pop the hood and that 409 W will show them to think twice. Great car.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks a lot:) Got it put back together in the last couple weeks, and drove it up to the mountains for the weekend with my girl. 400 miles round trip. I threw a stock '68 327/275 in it for the time being. Hopefully get the W swap goin soon.

Been gathering 14" chrome reverse wheels from junkyards for a couple years, and it took 10+ wheels to put a matching set of 4 together that aren't bent:rolleyes
488_zps960dd990.jpg

490_zpscaaabd69.jpg

489_zpsb48ff15d.jpg

Horn ring was broke off when I got it:(
Currently searching for a good one.
491_zps5bb05a11.jpg

492_zps09721b8d.jpg

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks great. Interior is awesome. Love the hole-sawed air cleaner. I wonder how many people don't even notice it? Did you have the chrome reverse wheels rechromed? I still have the set that came on my car when I got it around 1990. They already had some pitting then and look terrible now. I've always thought about getting them blasted and either rechromed....or just painting them red to match my stripe. '61 / '62 poverty caps are hard to find in good shape and always bring too much money for me, but I have a nice set of '66/'67 Chevelle small caps that I think are some of the best looking dog dish caps Chevy made. Are you going to put anything on yours?

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You're the only one so far! haha thanks for the words. Didn't have the wheels chromed, got really lucky and pieced together a whole set with nice chrome. Man are they hard to find nice...I'd usually just find one at a time on cars in bone yards around here, or in the 'wheel pile.' I'd pick one up with perfect chrome, BENT. Find another that looked like it'd clean up and the chrome would be hosed in the center. I only paid 10 or 20 bucks a wheel tho, so what the heck. Have yet to find a nice spare.

I have a set of those 66-67 caps you're talking about (and I agree), but Im gonna run em as you see em, Graffiti style. Clean up your chromes and put em on your wagon:cool:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Neat sedan Kevin, my first Chev was a 61 4 door post, bought it when I was 19. Had it for 7 years.

Keep up the good work.

Ryan Burman

Well Known Member
I dig the chrome reverse wheels! Last set I had were the cheapies from summit 15 inch. Really nice, pulled them off an s10 at the scrap yard with brand new tires and paid $30 for all four! Wish I still had them they only needed center caps.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Neat sedan Kevin, my first Chev was a 61 4 door post, bought it when I was 19. Had it for 7 years. Keep up the good work.

Oh what a great cruizzer, my very first set of wheels were chrome reverse.;)

I dig the chrome reverse wheels!

Great job...

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a very nice ride!!!!!!

:clapVery nice ride!

Thanks very much. A lot of motivation to keep going on this project comes from this site, and 'approval' from the panel:D much appreciated.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just noticed the '66 beater/daily driver in your signature. Do you need anything for it? I think our 4 door Impala got crushed a few years back after everything got stolen, but I may have some pieces left. I can check and see. Not looking to sell you something.....just willing to see if I have something you need....could send it for shipping cost.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Just noticed the '66 beater/daily driver in your signature. Do you need anything for it? I think our 4 door Impala got crushed a few years back after everything got stolen, but I may have some pieces left. I can check and see. Not looking to sell you something.....just willing to see if I have something you need....could send it for shipping cost.

Negative ghost rider, thanks for the offer tho. I have another identical 66 4-door on the back forty that I rob parts from as needed. You had a 66 that got stolen?? Sucks man. Funny, I've never had to worry about this thing getting stolen:crazy
070_zps2bced44f.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Love the fender lettering!!! If you look at the LT1 stuff in my sig, you'll see I'm partial to Ram Air cars. :cool:

I had 17 cars stolen about 6 or 7 years ago.....then 5 more about 2 years ago. Lost five 66's. Two SS's, a caprice 2 door, Impala 2 door, and an Impala 4 door.
Also lost a 59 delivery, 61 4 door Biscayne, 71 Nova, 62 Pontiac 9 pass wagon, etc, etc, etc, Makes me sick.....big reason I got away from my old cars and this site for several years. I am so happy to be back though. Everyone here is great and it's nice to be reminded there are still GOOD people in this world. My 61 has been down too long. Time to wake the sleeping giant with a new 409 stroker heartbeat (and the old 433 rat for a backup bullet) and have some fun!!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Super nice 63, great looking cruiser... I really like the floor mats, where did you get them ?

Bill

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
can we see that 56 sedan delivery?????:pop:pop:pop 63 look's great, hard to believe that's the same car .

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Super nice 63, great looking cruiser... I really like the floor mats, where did you get them ?
Bill

Thanks very much. Mats are from classic industries. They're discontinued so I got the set on clearance for 80 bucks about a month ago.

can we see that 56 sedan delivery?????:pop:pop:pop 63 look's great, hard to believe that's the same car .

Thanks again. Here's the 56...
56mokan_zps2c4b527b.jpg

1_zpsfe696c46.jpg

Last edited:

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wow!! Did you do the straight axle conversion?? What axle did you use?? I'm in the process of building a 57...