Project with my Grandson

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very proud to say Mom and Dad have been married for 49 years. Great people and parents. Love that Last 60 feller and Mom. And a riot to hang out with.:beer

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
All this married stuff is really nice, now can we get back to the Buick ??? I need to get the damn thing out of my shop, so I can park Ms Bela in there instead of the garage where the truck belongs. I wash it (the truck) on Monday and by Tuesday night it's looks like something out of Bob's salvage yard ! Damn trees and rain storms...

Bill

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill (Mr. Nuts) if it's a roller push it out to whence it came. Maybe when the boy see's it sitting outside it might light a fire under his @$$. Would work for me.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Lonnie said:
Apologies for hijacking your thread Bill. :bow

Lonnie, no apology needed and I didn't mean to sound off, :hide just wanted to get back to talking about the Buick and getting the Grandson fired up !!! I really do need the shop back !!!!

Dave said:
Or put it on craigslist with his phone number!!!

Dave, now that is the best option, I've heard...

Bill

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bill, sometimes the shock treatment works. I am sure your grandson will appreciate all of your work some day; it just might not happen right away. Especially if females are involved.
Make sure we get the rest of the story in August!! I better go work on my car...

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well we are making progress again !!!! He was over every day last week after school and we worked both days this weekend, making some real progress towards getting the car back on the road !!!! :cool::dance

We got the motor all sealed up and put back together:
CIMG5967.jpg

And got the shop cleaned up from the months of just throwing stuff in there because no one was working on anything anyway !! Got the car cleared off and the floors cleaned up so that we can get ready to put the motor and trans back in this week, if everything goes according to plan...

Got a couple of questions thought ?

Some of the valve cover bolts are like none I've seen before ?? They have a shaft coming out of the top and we're not sure what they are for, maybe some kind of wire holder or something ?
CIMG5969.jpg

And this part, that looks like a shield of some kind, but not sure where it goes ??
CIMG5970.jpg

It is about eight inches long with one bolt hole to attach it where ever, just don't know where that is...
CIMG5971.jpg

We also rounded up a oil pump priming shaft and got oil pumped up to the top of the valve train, so I feel comfortable that we got the oil pump and timing chain covers installed correctly. I have never seen this type of timing cover, oil pump, drive shaft combination before, so we had to READ the manual to figure it all out ! :bang The one instruction that made me curious was packing the pump gears and cavaties with petrolium jelly so that it would prime properly ??? I guess we did it right and it primed because we got oil up to the valve train !!!

We if things go according to plan, we should have the motor and trans back in the car this week. Then it's on to getting it (the motor) started up and then put the front clip back on, and GET IT OUT OF MY SHOP !!!!!

Bill

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bill,your pictures diidnt come through,but those valve cover boltss you mentioned.......the long portion is for the clips/guides for the spark plug wire holders.As to the "vasoline"in the oil pump,helpfull,but not absolutely necessary,in my experiance on a Buick,Caddilac ,yes.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bill,your pictures diidnt come through.

Don, sorry about that, I wasn't thinking when I moved them to another folder !!!:bang I thought they might be for the spark plug wire, but haven't found any clips or holders, have to look some more !

Bill

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bill,Those wire holders are most likely broken/missing in action.Theyre made of black plastic and they become very britttle when subjected to engine heat:bang I dont know where you can source out new ones,but they were also used on Buick v6's,and Pontiacs.:pray

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bill,now that I see your pictures,that red ,long piece is to hold the engine wireing harness to the manifold as it goes across the engine on the rt.[pass] side.It bolts down by the valve cover bolts.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Lonnie,

Thanks, it's nice to be back on track with this project ! Hopeing to have the motor back in the car and running by the weekend. Progress reports to follow !

Bill

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay more questions and pictures of parts, I'm confussed about ???

First, I don't know what this is called and can't find any reference to it in the shop manuuel ! It appears to be some kind of breather or filter for fuel vapors ?
It has hose plugs for "Intake", "PVC", and "Fuel Tank". The PVC has a plug over it and was not used. I believe I know how to hook up the hoses, but how do you service it ? The sponge filter on the bottom is falling apart..
CIMG5977.jpg

CIMG5976.jpg

CIMG5978.jpg

Second, Can someone help me figure out where all the seven vacumn connections go to from the carburator ?? There are seven outlets on the carb of various sizes (4 on the frount and 3 on the back).

BackofCarb.jpg

FrontCarb.jpg

I have looked all through the shop manuel and can't find any picture or description of where the vacumm lines might run... I know one is to the distributor (#4 on front) I believe and one must go to the PCV valve ??? Any help you experts can give me is appriciated.

Thanks
Bill