Race Engine project planning

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What I heard is Eagle polishes the journals to size instead of cutting them to size like Scat and other crankshaft companies. That is why the journals on the Eagle have such poor tolerances.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sold another carb, some 400 sbc pistons, and an LT1 custom grind roller cam....together with the Ebay coupon.....bought the Scat crank and ARP head bolts tonight. :danceThank you to everyone for their input and help making this decision. More stuff listed on Ebay.....so hopefully the parts will keep coming in. I am so EXCITED!!!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I saw that too....and it was mentioned in another thread, but when they compared it to a professional sonic tester on the same blocks....it was right there with it. The tested blocks did not get down to the .050"-.060" thickness range. I'm thinking as long as your block is thicker than .060" it won't matter that you can't rely on it to read below that accurately. All we'd be concerned with are numbers higher than that. Hopefully in the .100" range and above......at least .080" on the non-thrust sides.
If your block measures close to .060" then it's pretty much junk from what I've read. (The KEY TERM here is "from what I've read." I am not trying to pass off information as being correct....just what I've found in my own studying on this subject and make no claim to have experience on it.)

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Models mentioned that I might want to look into a head gasket other than the Fel Pro's to help meet my compression goal. What are some of ya'll using? I know of Victor Reinz, Cometic, Best brand ??

Any others worth looking at?

jr.W

Well Known Member
May be best to read reviews on what ever one you decide to buy.
Some thing I had read in the past was to set the tester on the block you
will be testing by measuring a part of the block you can also measure
with a caliper or mic. to verify the results.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I use Cometic MLS. They are pricey but you can re-use them 3 times so I consider them more of an investment:D

I need that tester. I want to know how much room I have in the heads before I hit water.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
May be best to read reviews on what ever one you decide to buy.
Some thing I had read in the past was to set the tester on the block you
will be testing by measuring a part of the block you can also measure
with a caliper or mic. to verify the results.

Yes, I had read that some people got some bad measurements with the cheapo ones I mentioned and couldn't figure out why. Then they found out that the testers have a way to calibrate them and zero them out. One guy couldn't get a good reading because the probe was flat instead of curved like the bore.....again....calibrating the tester solved that. Others had modified the tips to correct it, but I don't think that would be wise....especially considering that it isn't needed. Sometimes we just have to man-up and read the directions. LOL

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I use Cometic MLS. They are pricey but you can re-use them 3 times so I consider them more of an investment:D
I need that tester. I want to know how much room I have in the heads before I hit water.

I'll put you in line behind Ronnie when I get one. Just don't kill me if it's wrong and you grind through a wall. I'm going to be as much of a guinea pig as you are with it. If it passes even barely with .080"....I'll be using a 348 block that is bored to a std 409 bore somewhere down the road.
Thanks for the heads up on the Cometics. Where did you buy yours?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
.080 seems awful thin to me but what do I know?
I always thought .100 was about minimum and .125 better......haven't really found much in writing on the subject though.
If .080 is OK, then maybe I won't have to sleeve my 61 409 block.......then again, I probably will anyway, at least on the 3 thin ones.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cecil, yes .080" is usually considered too thin, but I already have a block that was bored to std 409 so I figure if it has that much then I'm going to take the gamble and build it instead of scrapping it or relegating it to mock up use. It would have to be a budget build for me to take the chance and it's not a valuable block by any means. There is no way I'd build your true 409 block as thin as .080"....especially not a 1961 block.
Yours is at least .100" everywhere so if it doesn't need further boring.....IDK what I'd do. Looks like it's either build it, or sleeve 3 cylinders. I think I'd build it.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I could resleeve the 3 but it would have to go to .070 to clean up the rest. I would probably just sleeve all 8 back to standard.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The other 5 look to be plenty thick. If it's .060" already and you go to .070" over that is only .005" more on each side. I've heard it wasn't good to sleeve ALL the cylinders in a block. Not sure if that is an old wive's tale. My wife's too young for me to ask her. :D

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's 60 over and the 3 thin ones are sleeved already, but apparently they used thin wall sleeves. I can get sleeves done for $150 per hole.
If it's done properly, I don't see any problem with doing all 8 but I'm no expert.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
There's a lot of guys that know more than I here, but here's my 2 cents if I went that large on the bore I would solid block the bottom half at least just to stiffen things up. Mines solid blocked to the freeze plugs and still doesn't get over 180 degrees unless it's near a hundred or my fan belts not on.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i would sleeve the block. of course it gets expensive. years ago i heard not too sleeve the cylinders. but
things have change over the years. remember the ls blocks are sleeved. jmho jim

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I have done several SBC's where we sleeved all eight cylinders and then offset the bore centers to unshroud the intake valves. We never had any problems with them. On small blocks, the block was considered to be stronger when all cylinders were sleeved, then it was stock. What will happen when you install one sleeve (or three), is that the adjacent bores will become distorted a couple of thousands by the slight interference fit of the sleeved cylinder. The cylinder diameter is usually increased by about .005" by the time the hone makes it round again.