Rear end alignment?

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm getting ready to redo my rear suspension very similar to yours, I was going to add the Global West panhard. The only difference is I am going to add the second upper control arm.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm getting ready to redo my rear suspension very similar to yours, I was going to add the Global West panhard. The only difference is I am going to add the second upper control arm.
It is good to do it; it gives you a close up of everything underneath. I have been marine technician for roughly 25 years; part time job that went with my full time job, which is now my full time job! One thing I learned from the old salts was to look at everything...As Joe and Alice can't pull over to the side of the road and dial #77, pop a flare pattern and wait for a rollback in a boat.

With that mentality, I rebuilt and replumbed the entire brake system; added front disc brakes purchased a very nice kit from 58 delivery as suggested by one of my other mentor on the site. Replumbed the entire fuel system, all new hardware. Rebuilt the entire rear on the bench, including the third member; basically went through the chassis. When I started two years ago, I pulled the engine and transmission to freshen it up. Wound up rebuilding just about everything mechanically as the guy that originally restored the car 25 years ago did a great job. The guys in between sort of let it go and negelcted it mechanically. During the process I slowed down and looked at everything. In the process is where I discovered the faults, even found a bent axle housing. It has been worth the time to do it.

I don't need to touch the body or interior, so I guess I am about 1000 hours of my labor in it now. Engine rebuilt, tranny rebuilt, everything rebuilt!!!

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
In my opinion, you have the perfect car to work on, no body or interior work, which generally requires mucho experience, (to do it correct anyway). The mechanical stuff is a little easier to tackle, especially with your knowledge. It looks like your ready to start cruzin'. I ran into a issue today with adding the additional UMI upper control arm. They came with two brackets that bolt to the frame with the upper control brackets and are supposed to strengthen the frame mounts. I have them installed (the way I think they are designed), but nothing makes any sense to me, as I can't figure out how they are supposed to work, or be installed correctly for that matter. I must be doing something wrong. Attached are some pic's that hopefully someone has experienced this or knows how they work. The first picture shows the parts and second picture show them installed the way I think they are supposed to be installed. It seems like they should be welded to the frame sides, but their not even remotely close.

I bought them @ Show Cars and could ask them on Monday but I got ants in my pants! :happy

Attachments

• IMG_0850.JPG
    IMG_0850.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 80

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
In my opinion, you have the perfect car to work on, no body or interior work, which generally requires mucho experience, (to do it correct anyway). The mechanical stuff is a little easier to tackle, especially with your knowledge. It looks like your ready to start cruzin'. I ran into a issue today with adding the additional UMI upper control arm. They came with two brackets that bolt to the frame with the upper control brackets and are supposed to strengthen the frame mounts. I have them installed (the way I think they are designed), but nothing makes any sense to me, as I can't figure out how they are supposed to work, or be installed correctly for that matter. I must be doing something wrong. Attached are some pic's that hopefully someone has experienced this or knows how they work. The first picture shows the parts and second picture show them installed the way I think they are supposed to be installed. It seems like they should be welded to the frame sides, but their not even remotely close.

I bought them @ Show Cars and could ask them on Monday but I got ants in my pants! :happy

If I am correct, they are the backing plates that go on the other side of the bulkhead; towards the front of the car. They are to be tacked in and then welded to provide additional support and spread the torque/shock loads over several stress points. Dummy it up and see...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
They go this way, just finished assembling this rear end after powder coating(no pictures after the powder coating and assembly yet -if you need some I can take closeups) .
The welding is not completed in the pictures. The passenger side of this 62 SS 409 convertible frame (mine and a friends 409 restoration) had been pulled off the frame rail
and had to be repaired along with adding the braces to both sides.

The last picture includes my adjustable UMI daul upper rear control arms on my 62 SS 409 convertible completed frame that does not have the frame braces.
PaulP1000436.JPG P1000439.JPG P1000443.JPG P1000444.JPG P1000489.JPG

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
They go this way, just finished assembling this rear end after powder coating(no pictures after the powder coating and assembly yet -if you need some I can take closeups) .
The welding is not completed in the pictures. The passenger side of this 62 SS 409 convertible frame (mine and a friends 409 restoration) had been pulled off the frame rail
and had to be repaired along with adding the braces to botht sides.

The last picture includes my adjustable UMI daul upper rear control arms on my 62 SS 409 convertible completed frame that does not have the frame braces.
PaulView attachment 34448 View attachment 34449 View attachment 34450 View attachment 34451 View attachment 34452

Well that makes sense Paul. The braces need to be bent quite a bit to sister up with the frame for the welding. It looks like you heated them up to achieve this. Always like to double check before I start heatin' and bendin'.
Your web site is AWSUM:winnerand thanks for the help.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It is good to do it; it gives you a close up of everything underneath. I have been marine technician for roughly 25 years; part time job that went with my full time job, which is now my full time job! One thing I learned from the old salts was to look at everything...As Joe and Alice can't pull over to the side of the road and dial #77, pop a flare pattern and wait for a rollback in a boat.

With that mentality, I rebuilt and replumbed the entire brake system; added front disc brakes purchased a very nice kit from 58 delivery as suggested by one of my other mentor on the site. Replumbed the entire fuel system, all new hardware. Rebuilt the entire rear on the bench, including the third member; basically went through the chassis. When I started two years ago, I pulled the engine and transmission to freshen it up. Wound up rebuilding just about everything mechanically as the guy that originally restored the car 25 years ago did a great job. The guys in between sort of let it go and negelcted it mechanically. During the process I slowed down and looked at everything. In the process is where I discovered the faults, even found a bent axle housing. It has been worth the time to do it.

I don't need to touch the body or interior, so I guess I am about 1000 hours of my labor in it now. Engine rebuilt, tranny rebuilt, everything rebuilt!!!
Last year I did the engine and trans, then took a 2400 mile test drive to Kansas and everything was good there.. Lol. This year I figure I'm gonna hammer it pretty good so I thought I should fix the rear end before something bad happens. I ordered the axles last week and I plan on getting the Global West stuff at Summit since I live close enough to go pick it up. I like those UMI frame brackets. Are those available separate or do you have to buy the arms too??
Rick

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Rick...the brackets are available individually from Show-Cars, part # 7137, but always double check on the exact part cuz....you know how that goes :rolleyes....FYI, Show-Cars sells the adjustable UMI rear upper control arms as well. Have fun :D.