RPM's@the Stripe

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
lets say 474 inches, 500hp, 4200lb's, 1.1 4th gear, 28" tire, 6000rpm through the finish line the 4.30's would be the go I think. Closer to 600hp would probably suit the 4.1 rear gear.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That engine is making some good power man!!! :goodThe old rule of thump generally works out, well has done for me , for every 100lb's lost you pick up approx 0.1 in ET.:brow

I totally understand, been there, the H pattern is way cool, nothing like rowing the gears, :beerbut if you want to go quicker at the drags V gate is where it's at imo. I ran a Richmond 5 speed, street/strip (basically Doug Nash) with Hurst H shifter for years, I knew the V gate would be faster but I thought it would not work on the street. Anyway, cut long story short, my Dad and I modified a 5 speed Hurst V gate shifter for street/strip. I welded my 4 speed stick to it and lifted the pull handle up to the ball so I could gear back up through the gears, it worked flawlessly and looked like a 4 speed stick. These are the only photos I have of it. Just saying, could be an idea is all.....:rubDSC02746.JPGDSC02747.JPG

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With a 4.11 gear that car would be a dog on the starting line. You guys are thinking like it's an automatic. A stick car needs gears.

How would a v gate be any faster than an H pattern? You are still moving the shift handle about the same distance. The transmission doesn't know whats shifting it.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OH hell yeah a clutchless is faster. Every time the clutch is in you are coasting. Over the course of three shifts, that is probably close to 100 feet of a 1320 foot track you are not accelerating. On the other hand, there are far cheaper ways to meet your goals than a new transmission!

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With a 4.11 gear that car would be a dog on the starting line. You guys are thinking like it's an automatic. A stick car needs gears.

How would a v gate be any faster than an H pattern? You are still moving the shift handle about the same distance. The transmission doesn't know whats shifting it.
V gate push pull=faster shift. Not thinking it's an auto at all, yes , totally agree, stick cars need gearing...................

RCampbell

Well Known Member

Think of it like a tractor. A tractor has a deep gearing. What happens when you open the tractors throttle and you pop the clutch?...the front wheels come off the ground and you better hold to the steering wheel.

We run a 3.06 first gear and 5.83 rear gear. The car is in second before the 60' lite!