Shipping cost

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I always look at the total price including shipping. If I like it, then I buy it.
That's a good approach, but a few times I only found only one vendor selling a part and I was stuck; either buy it or not. I find myself looking more at Summit for parts. (Maybe Jegs offers something too?) More then $99.00 and it's free shipping. They are starting to sell more resto parts for various older years/makes, but are limited as to what they offer. It would be great if they took an entire page from some of these vendors. Can't imagine the savings in shipping, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Don't forget to pay them even more and buy the extra insurance. (so when they screw up and destroy or lose your package, you can pay for that. Shouldn't it be THEM paying for their incompetence? In a normal world, you would think that would come out of their profits, not paid for by the customer. As it is, they are better off losing a few now and then so they keep the insurance scam going) Ok, I'll stop now. :p

62BillT

Well Known Member
I can't believe the small flat rate box is up to $10.40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I haven't been selling anything for about a year) I think I recall it was about $3.95 when the small flat came out.

These shippers are beyond going overboard. usps raises it's rates twice a year like clockwork!! All the others fall in line and raise theirs. It never stops. When will it ever be enough. I'll shut up now, it does absolutely no good to bitch about it. :mad5

Shipping is such an issue these days, that it's killing sales more and more. Large and/or Heavy parts for sure. Years ago I could just guess on the shipping and be pretty close. Today I need to carefully measure and accurately weigh the parts, then go on both the USPS and UPS sites, sometimes needing to tweak the numbers a little, chose which one is best, then hope for the best that it won't kill the sale.

Good 'ol Democratic Inflation out there...

bobs409

Administrator
Shipping is such an issue these days, that it's killing sales more and more. Large and/or Heavy parts for sure. Years ago I could just guess on the shipping and be pretty close. Today I need to carefully measure and accurately weigh the parts, then go on both the USPS and UPS sites, sometimes needing to tweak the numbers a little, chose which one is best, then hope for the best that it won't kill the sale.

Good 'ol Democratic Inflation out there...
Exactly! The one that really gets you are the long distance like in my case, PA to CA. The difference just a measly inch or ounce could make would be like $20.00!! They call it a "balloon" rate. Unless the customer specifically asked for usps, I would ship larger and heavier items thru Fedex. usps was better for the small light stuff.

MANY times I would have something all packaged up only to find that a fraction of an inch sent the cost skyrocketing. I would have to trim off a little and get "creative."

I don't miss any of this.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just my 2 cents worth.
In your case it sounds like they used a USPS box, which I think USPS provides free of charge. I get small & medium flat rate boxes from them at no charge.
The 1st year that I had a daily UPS pickup service I charged what the UPS chart showed. That year I lost about $900 on shipping when we looked at the books come tax time. At that time I think UPS charged me $25 to come by once a day to pick up packages. After the 1st package that dropped by $2, After $50 worth of packages I think it dropped another 2. Some weeks I may not have had but 3 or 5 packages. For the week ending
Dec 24, 22 UPS billed me $632.33 for the packages I sent out. $19.50 of that was my weekly pickup fee & I shipped 13 packages. The losing $ thing was not happening again. Now I charge a flat $4 fee over what the UPS calculator says to cover UPS pickup fees, tape, staples and boxes. I just spent $987.13 dollars on boxes in September, but that might last me a year. That purchase would have cost another $150 -200 without the promotion they had going at the time. Then I have custom boxes made by another vendor also. Not trying to justify their charges, but having a "shipping" department is a burden in materials costs, not to mention the labor costs.
Not wanting to offend anyone, but if your in a business that does daily shipping you know what I am talking about.
Just saying.
Jeff

You need to get cheaper help in the shipping department Jeff...

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave,
I
am the shipping department, I pay my help to good to have them do such a trivial job.
Plus I clean the toilet in my building! The CNC building where the help works doesn't get cleaned. If he wants to use the nasty thing he can.
I have to draw the line somewhere.
Bob,
Paying for added insurance on a package is easy.
Filing a claim and getting paid is a whole different matter!
After jumping thru those hoops, you will feel like the victim!
Been there, done that, more than once.
Jeff

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Real Deal doesn't have a direct link to their shipping policy, but it is there in the FAQ...they do charge a handling fee. If you received your package from the post office, they may have had to make a special trip there, as all their data indicate they only use FedEx. Also, FedEx works with UPS as partners in their "Smart Post" program, which I personally find lacking.
I've bought a crap load of parts from them over the years, and yes it is expensive, but they have always been fair with me and what they sell is FAR superior in fit and appearance to most anything else out there.
From their website...

Shipping & Returns

Q: Why do you charge a handling fee?
Our shipping calculator communicates directly with Fedex to obtain your shipping rate. The capability of our calculator is limited. It will not account for multiple boxes, drop ship items or backordered items. To make certain we break even on shipping (unlike other companies we do not treat shipping as a profit center!), we have added a Handling Fee to all transactions.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just heard back from the owner of Real Deal Steele. Basically, what he said is that they have to go to the post office and get the boxes, return to the business, fill the order and them take them back to the post office for delivery. They have no post office pickup and delivery service. That is why there is an added on charge for shipping. OK. He also wanted to reimburse me for the extra money that was charged and I told him no. It was never about the money. Told him to donate it to a house of worship or charity.
Well, this was quite a learning experience. I'm glad I posted this thread and received a lot of very informative responses. Thanks everyone. I guess in the future if shipping seems outrageous, I have to ask the vendor if he is adding anything to it, Carmine.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 2 cents again.
I will buy part of that story. In my case I use small & medium flat rate boxes, basically because if it fits it ships, at a "flat rate". When I need boxes I go online to USPS check the boxes and they deliver to my door, just like regular mail. But I do have to make a trip to the PO to ship them.
I don't mind doing so as it gets me away from the phone for 15 minutes.
Just wish we had a DQ or something in town so I could get an ice cream while out doing so!
Jeff

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I just heard back from the owner of Real Deal Steele. Basically, what he said is that they have to go to the post office and get the boxes, return to the business, fill the order and them take them back to the post office for delivery. They have no post office pickup and delivery service. That is why there is an added on charge for shipping. OK. He also wanted to reimburse me for the extra money that was charged and I told him no. It was never about the money. Told him to donate it to a house of worship or charity.
Well, this was quite a learning experience. I'm glad I posted this thread and received a lot of very informative responses. Thanks everyone. I guess in the future if shipping seems outrageous, I have to ask the vendor if he is adding anything to it, Carmine.

My 2 cents again.
I will buy part of that story. In my case I use small & medium flat rate boxes, basically because if it fits it ships, at a "flat rate". When I need boxes I go online to USPS check the boxes and they deliver to my door, just like regular mail. But I do have to make a trip to the PO to ship them.
I don't mind doing so as it gets me away from the phone for 15 minutes.
Just wish we had a DQ or something in town so I could get an ice cream while out doing so!
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Who does not have post office delivery. Never heard of such. As far as I know there are 2 ways to get mail. You either have a box at the post office to pick up your mail (get your supplies while there), or you have your mail delivered to your house/business/mail box.
Jeff

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Who does not have post office delivery. Never heard of such. As far as I know there are 2 ways to get mail. You either have a box at the post office to pick up your mail (get your supplies while there), or you have your mail delivered to your house/business/mail box.
Jeff
Jeff, we have 3 post offices within 5 miles of my house that offer no delivery or pickup. One of them is in the town that houses the largest battery plant in the US. And a 4th location that is unattended. People must go and pick up their mail on their time. It does exist in the US. And I am @ 50 miles from Philadelphia.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess I'm just sheltered/spoiled here in Missouri. According to the 2021 census Hallsville Mo had a population of 1662. I live in the country 5.5 miles north of town. I get my mail here in town and at home delivered to the mailbox's on the street. I could just as well have boxes at the post office for either. Years ago my business PO box # was 409. But it costs to rent a PO box. Having a mailbox is a one time investment until someone wipes it out!
Jeff

62BillT

Well Known Member
Anytime I'm low on flat rate boxes, I just pick them up when I'm there anyway. I always keep a decent supply in stock.

427John

Well Known Member
That's a good approach, but a few times I only found only one vendor selling a part and I was stuck; either buy it or not. I find myself looking more at Summit for parts. (Maybe Jegs offers something too?) More then $99.00 and it's free shipping. They are starting to sell more resto parts for various older years/makes, but are limited as to what they offer. It would be great if they took an entire page from some of these vendors. Can't imagine the savings in shipping, Carmine.
Unfortunately if the vendor is the only show in town, they probably know it and then you're completely at their mercy and there is not much you can do about it, then its a matter of either paying the man or trying to either repair what you have or fabricating something yourself.