petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/manitoba/2009/08/30/10673746-sun.html

Alberta man sentenced for role in drug ring
By DEAN PRITCHARD, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 30th August 2009, 4:06am
Email Story Print Size A A A Report Typo Share with:
Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Google Stumble Upon Newsvine Reddit Technorati Feed Me Yahoo Simpy Squidoo Spurl Blogmarks Netvouz Scuttle Sitejot + What are these? An Alberta man has been sentenced to 30 months in prison for his role in a massive ephedrine smuggling ring.

Aubrey Bruneau, 49, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to export ephedrine.

Bruneau was one of 18 people, including 10 Manitobans, arrested in September 2004 in an RCMP investigation called Operation Diversion.

Ephedrine, a strictly-controlled drug used in the production of cold medications, is also a key ingredient in crystal methamphetamine.

Court heard Bruneau became involved in the smuggling operation at the behest of his brother and co-accused Roger Bruneau, who has since died of a heart condition.

SMUGGLED EPHEDRINE

The criminal group ran a network that smuggled ephedrine from a Thunder Bay, Ont., bodybuilding supply company called Pumpuii Energy Products through Winnipeg, Lac du Bonnet and Hanna, Alta. Police seized more than 20,000 pounds of ephedrine and $3.5 million in cash.

Aubrey Bruneau, a mechanic in Hanna, helped isolate his brother from any connection to the drug by storing shipments at his shop and then delivering them to buyers in Canada and the U.S.

Court heard Bruneau received seven shipments of ephedrine totalling 7,600 pounds and was paid $5,000 for each shipment he delivered.

Police wiretaps recorded Bruneau complaining he was a year behind on his mortgage payments and was in danger of having his electricity cut off.

"There is clear desperation for financial need," Crown attorney Jason Clouston told court Wednesday.

FILED LAWSUIT

On other calls Bruneau confessed "he finds it exciting to break the law and provided more evidence that Aubrey is willing to do anything for Roger," Clouston said.

Aubrey Bruneau filed a lawsuit following his arrest, claiming Winnipeg police and RCMP members permanently damaged his shoulder and arm during his arrest. He also accused Mounties of slandering him by making misleading claims in media releases following the arrests.

Others arrested in the drug bust and still before the court include former Winnipeg Blue Bomber Robert (Eddie) Blake and Dwight Mushey. Mushey is now on trial in Ontario charged with first-degree murder in the 2006 massacre of eight Bandidos bikers.

dean.pritchard@sunmedia.ca

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess I don't get my cam or my money.:cuss
Didn't get an answer on the phone either...
Nice guy to talk to though.:scratch

I must move on now.:bang

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Man I wish it was April 1st and not Sept 1st when I read this....Say it isn't so....What a waste. The evil $ sometimes can make judgement dwindle. I pray something "good" will come out of all this for Aubrey.

Tim

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
HOLY SMOKE! What a shame. His devotion and dedication to the 409 motors will truly be missed. Hope he can rebound in the years ahead and get his life back on track.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
What a waste of talent and ability. Maybe someone could take over the manifold project and see it through??

Coming from the tweaker capital of the world (well, maybe) I'd like to see that particular stuff shut off and I guess one source just did.

Good luck, Aubrey.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Although Aubrey may have been a good guy to a lot of guys here on site, I bit my tongue every time someone patted Aubrey on the back for doing something great for the 409s. I'm sure that the one's he screwed over on this site have kept a low profile for fear of being accused of flaming or bashing a fellow member. There is a reason that I have a personal issue with Aubrey, he screwed one of the most loved members and a good friend of mine on this site, for at least $2000.00 dollars. A guy that was too nice to trash him on line. This great guy has passed on without ever getting his parts or money returned and no mention of it to his heirs. I will never forgive Aubrey for this. I wish him no ill will and am sorry for his falling out with the law. It's so sad that a talent like Aubrey would sacrifice everything including his family for a few dollars.

ctcown

That explains alot! I can count my lucky stars I guess. I sent him the money for Bob's heads on 5/28/07 and they showed up at my door on 7/15/08 straight from Bob himself after many and I mean many talks with Aubrey about were they where so that does'nt susprise me that someone else got took. I only wish his family the best I'am sure it hit them out of left field.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
tough

May he roast in HELL along with all the other drug dealers in this world for all the pain, hart ache and lives lost they have cost. Sorry, personal experance speaking.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I don't have any words to add except thanks for the update Steve. Us East Coaster's would have never known other wise.
robert

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
this happened 5 years ago? just now coming to light? wonder what gives? Bummer for his family. I recall Fred very upset about a stroker kit that never arrived. he had to hurry up and buy one from ShowCars i think.

good god 30 months is a LONG time. he'll have time to think. i am torn as what to think aboot this. I have seen money troubles make a good man do bad things. i have seen and lived threw drugs making a good person do bad things.

I am a recovering junkie and addict, i have been off the needle since 1986 and have helped others get sober and stay clean.
I once hocked my red 63 for $1500.00 yep, the one you've seen. luckily the guy was good and let me work it off and get it back when i got clean. i was down to 135 pounds and accepted the fact that i was gonna die from heroin.
my mother came to the rat infested place i was staying to tell me goodbye. i had written her a letter explaining that my death was not a suicide. i just couldnt help it. i had truly lost my mind. i made her give me her last ten bux so i could buy some beer.
instead, i bought a new lens for my welding helmet and enough stuff to make a pot of stew. i called around and begged a few welding jobs. a guy saved my life by putting me up in his 11x14 shed in his yard for afew years and made me go with him to AA meetings.
anyhow, i went from that cutting firewood for 5 bux a day.........to whatever i am now.

this thread isnt about me, i understand. it's about good folks caught up in bad things.

good luck to Aubrey. and I hope he will make good to those who got the bad end of a deal. I made good to those i hosed. it's part of the recovery. hope he will go straight.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bad deal all around

I had Googled Aubrey about two years ago and read all about his situation.
The guys at Ross pistons had some stories, too.
Hope no one else got burned, and hope things don't go too badly for Aubrey, either.

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bummer

Aubrey explained this to me (well sort of) back when he was actually arrested. He was on the way to the first 09 convention and got taken down at a motel. I almost purchased his 62 at that time. Cause he knew he was gonna go down? We were 2k apart on the price. He explained to me that he didnt now what they were doing with that substance and claimed to be clean. I guess I always hoped he was telling me the truth but will never know for sure. He always sent me what I ordered but it took awhile. Its a shame he is very knowledgable about our engines and was very willing to help me anyway.:?

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
HOLY CRAP !

I had no idea. I was wondering what Aubrey meant by his answer to the intake delay. Had no clue about the other past issues either. What a waste.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Drug abuse, this scourge of mankind destroys everything it touches.

A sad testiment to such promise.

I hope his family gets through the horrible times ahead okay.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Bob, I am very proud of the fact that you realized you had a problem and did something about it. Any one who has the presence of mind to pull themselves out of the gutter and enjoy life to it's fullest is a pleasure to know even though it's only through this site. CONGRATULATIONS MAN !!!:clap:bow

Status
Not open for further replies.