The Culinary

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When grandpa would butcher...mom loved the tongue and brains!!! I remember mom fixing brains and scrambled eggs for us kids.
Maybe that's why I'm so smart????
Did they take intestines and stuff them and call it head cheese??? Ask me how I know?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think I'll graciously pass on eating some of the animal body parts mentioned. You guys enjoy them instead, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I think I'll graciously pass on eating some of the animal body parts mentioned. You guys enjoy them instead, Carmine.
If you were served that and ate it without knowing what it was you would have liked it. When military people are on survival they ate earth worms and I guarantee this was better than earth worms.In my younger days processing a hog on the farm we saved everything but the oink. The sausage was made from intestines and there was a machine that ground it up and the intestines was slipped over a tube and as you cranked the grinder it would fill the intestines.Yum Yum.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Pigs feet, head cheese, home made sausage , brin chips. You can buy those in stores. They used the fat to make home made lye soap that was boiled in a large pot,cooled down and then cut in small chunks.It was white when finished and used for washing.That was a common thing back in the day for all farmers to do.Really not much different than processing a deer now days.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
No thank you. Just not for me. I don't eat rice either. I hate that stuff. I don't care what color it is. When I get pork fried rice with the chicken/broccoli, I pick the pieces of pork and onion out. I eat that and leave the rest. Not sure why I don't like rice, but I don't.
I also want to mention this. When I go to Arthur Ave., in the Bronx to pick up some Italian products for home cooking, I go to this meat store where they also sell vegetables in the back. I walk past one very long meat case. You guys would like this. They sell everything imaginable. Tripe. Brains. Liver. Intestinal casings. Anything to do with an animal, they salvage and sell. Haven't see any mountain oysters, although I haven't looked for them either. One of the stranger things I saw, were chicken feet. What in the hell do they do with these things??? I don't see anything edible on them. Yuck. Many of the stores have cooked ducks, chicken and part of a pig hanging in the window. Definitely something different, Carmine.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When I was in the first year of attending national guard reserve meetings they were going to have a cook out with mountain oysters and more with beer also. Asked if I was coming ,I said he'll no . Got to thinking about it decided to go. Our cook made them to perfection .Went every year after that,to this day never had any as good as those were.