The Culinary

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It’s true. Until you thump them a second or third time. Then they turn around. Always used a metal rod with sharp hook when I hunted them.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I tried noodleing catfish but not snappers. When looking for snappers, like Scott says, I used a piece of 1/2 rerod with a sharpened hook on one end. Only did that a couple of times and it was in December. Had on hip boots and walked creeks probing holes and under banks. Went to a backwaters pond and the ice was just thick enough to walk on. Got a nice one out of that pond.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I killed 2 big snappers out of my pond this summer Dave. Next time I see one.....I'll give you a call.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Both were shot head on. I don't like snappers!!!!!
Interesting thing about the first one. After he was shot, I turned him upside down. Months later, only things left were his hind legs and tail. Inside his shell was completely clean and there were a bunch of bones that looked like ribs. They were all completely cleaned of any meat!!! Never seen anything like that!!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Both were shot head on. I don't like snappers!!!!!
Interesting thing about the first one. After he was shot, I turned him upside down. Months later, only things left were his hind legs and tail. Inside his shell was completely clean and there were a bunch of bones that looked like ribs. They were all completely cleaned of any meat!!! Never seen anything like that!!!!
Maggots????

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I once caught one fishing on my uncles creek when I was living on the farm in my teens. I got him out on the field and since I only had one hook with me to continue fishing I drove on him and pulled head out and removed hook. Here came a oil field pumper and said "you just ruined a good eating turtle ". I said I didn't know there where good ones. He started to rip on me , but the good kid I was I could have told him to get the hell out there ,but I didn't. He said if you ever catch another one call me. Ok I will rush right home and call him on land line.LOL. My uncle said there were some big ones in the creek about the size of wash tubs , but he kind of stretched the truth a little at times. Did I say I hate snappers too!!!