Transfer 61 bubble roof onto 62 impala cpe

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi guys, thanks for the kind words, but just for those of you who get an ache in your heart to see our late greats cut up, be at rest, as both of the cars used in this project were in real bad condition with respect to the body of the 61, and the roof of the 62 impala. Here in the east, we are lucky to find a car that old that is not gone to dust, so we work with what we have. Count your blessings for the solid iron you have out west. Have a daughter who lived in Georgetown, Co. , went to visit, found a fenced in junk yard with two 61 impalas inside. First time I had seen our cars sitting outside in the weather, and only the interior was shot. The guy would not sell either one. Oh well, I still have a few in the woods in Hawley, Pa.
As I said before I take my hat off to you guys for bringing back another Chevy. Using the best part from both cars to make one...:deal

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm gonna have to call BS on that one...
I don't know why you think that's BS, come on down to SoCal and you'll see all the 62 bubbles running around, guaranteed not original.
There's even a few 61 Bel Air convertibles driving around (a car that was never made by GM)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a guy out of central CA. that always shows up at the Portland swap meet. He converts 4-door 61 & 62's to 62 convertiles and 61 impala and bel-air sport coupes to 62 bel-air sport coupes and there not rusty cars that he starts with. I don't agree with his practice but just sayin it does go on.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Back in the 90's lot's of 61 sport coupes were cut to make 62 bubbles as the 61 was still a shunned car then, a guy could make a better profit with the 62 bubble.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I would be very concerned with the liability of selling a car that has had the top replaced. Seems like an instant law suite if the car was involved in a wreck.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would be very concerned with the liability of selling a car that has had the top replaced. Seems like an instant law suite if the car was involved in a wreck.
Phil!
With the amount of customizing in the hobby I don'think it's a issue. As with any purchase a thorough inspection is a must. All sales are "As Is".

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Tell that to the attorneys!!! Replacing the top would lead to structural integrity and a good lawyer...what ever that is.....would have a hay day!!!!!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There is a guy out of central CA. that always shows up at the Portland swap meet. He converts 4-door 61 & 62's to 62 convertiles and 61 impala and bel-air sport coupes to 62 bel-air sport coupes and there not rusty cars that he starts with. I don't agree with his practice but just sayin it does go on.
I would be some kinda pi$$ed if I saw someone about to hack up a solid 1961 sport coupe to make a 1962. Especially a Bel Air.

No409

Supporting Member 1
had a guy right across the street from me cut the roof off a 61 bubble, 283/3 on the tree car, and clone it to a 61 impala ss convertible( had a ragtop doner/non ss car) 348 trip /stick car. sold for BIG MONEY to a guy I believe in Fla. some people have more money than brains

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The welding being done today may be stronger than factory on a new roof Phil, depending on how anal the welder today is.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tell that to the attorneys!!! Replacing the top would lead to structural integrity and a good lawyer...what ever that is.....would have a hay day!!!!!
Chopped tops, sectioned and channeled bodie procedures have been common practice for close to seventy years in the hobby. What about some of the more familiar vehicles of the 50's 60's & 70's? The list goes on and on.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Nice work. Looking forward to following this build. :)

BTW, how common are the bubble tops roofs as a separate part? The salvage yard that I frequent has two of them laying on the ground. I've stepped over and around those things a few dozen times in the last few months.

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks Shake & Bake, sure would have been nice to have one of those rust free bubble top roofs you have out there laying all over the ground. Most of the junk yards here in the east, have crushed all of the old cars when the price of metal was high, so not much left to pick from. Find yourself an acre or two of ground and get back to that junk yard and buy all of those old chevy parts, and cars. Once they are gone, they are not coming back.....