Transfer 61 bubble roof onto 62 impala cpe

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It has been a long winter in the Poconos, here in the Northeast. Jim Sullivan and I made our yearly trip to Carlisle in April, and had some very nice weather while there... We both picked up a few parts for the 62 and the 63, and I ordered my interior for the 62 Bubble Top from Hubards. The seat covers were made by Ciadellas, and I just received them last week. Not a long wait at all.. I had pulled apart the rear seats over the winter , to prepare for the new seat covers, so I started to install the covers this past Monday, as the Sun was out, and it warmed up the vinyl nicely for stretching...Can't wait to get back on the sheet metal work on the body, but the house needs some attention too. DSCN0588.JPG DSCN0589.JPG DSCN0590.JPG DSCN0591.JPG DSCN0592.JPG DSCN0596.JPG DSCN0597.JPG DSCN0598.JPG

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Finally got the house painted, and got back to work on the installation of the seat covers. Finished the last seat back yesterday and they are now being stored until they can be placed into the bubble top. Have a LONG way to go before that can take place, but I got back into working on the car and removed the rusted out floor. The rear portion of the floor that is under the back seat was in solid condition so that is not going to be replaced. Jim is going to lay out the next step in repairing the inner and outer rockers while the body is still on the old frame, and once that is completed I can lay down the new floor pans. Really looking forward to that...Just threw in a photo of the Air Cleaner that Jim Sullivan made for me some time ago, for my 62 SS conv. This is one of the air cleaners that Jim is making by hand in his shop. I have gotten a lot of great comments on that air cleaner when folks learn that it was hand made...DSCN0615.JPG DSCN0616.JPG DSCN0617.JPG DSCN0619.JPG DSCN0621.JPG

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Here's a"deal" for you..... I could use your seats, a trail period, if you like, give you my opinion on quality, comfort ect, as my
bubble top is ready for seats. This is done for only a few select customers. lol Nice job....
:laugh2:lmao stan

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Just a note......since you are leaving the body on the frame for replacing the floor pans. ......put all new body mounts in and torque the bolts. That will give you a solid alignment for welding the floor pans in.
Everything looks good!!!

I've been reading all the restorations threads for hints like this. These are the kind of tidbits I wish were more well known. Cash mentioned the window trim hint for the bubbletop rear glass install. These are the things less experienced guys can really use.

Thanks!

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey Cash, if your bubble is ready to roll, just throw in an old bench seat until the real ones are done, and drive it like that. I drove my 62 conv. to a few cruises without the hood on, just didn't get time to install it, but just could not wait to drive it.. The 409 looked great without the hood. Phil, that sounds likes some good advise installing new donuts to get everything level... Thanks....Mike'

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey Mike your work is look'in good, it is a labor of love. I like the idea of the "hood", I don't have mine on yet, so it might be
hoodless for the first drive. stan

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Over the past weekend, Jim Sullivan came over to my open air restoration shop, and we got to work and assembled the clutch, Bell, and four speed Muncie to the engine. The engine hoist worked very well on the "Two Lane Blacktop" Great movie... ..We were able to move everything around without too much effort....Backed up the homemade engine stand close to the frame , off it came , rolled the frame under the engine and lowered it onto the finished frame. Rolled the frame back into the garage where I can begin to put all of the missing parts back onto the engine. Here it will stay until Jim and I can set the finished body of the bubble top back onto the new frame....

Attachments

• DSCN0666.JPG
    DSCN0666.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN0667.JPG
    DSCN0667.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN0669.JPG
    DSCN0669.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN0670.JPG
    DSCN0670.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCN0671.JPG
    DSCN0671.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 214

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks guys for all of the good wishes and encouragement . Since this will be my last restoration, every forward step in the process seems so much more rewarding. Its great to have a good friend such as Jim to get me through this last project, because without his help , I would never be able to finish it. It is much more fun when you have two people working on a project who have the same interests. No matter how it turns out in the end, and with all of the busted fingers, the rust in the eyes, you will always remember the good times getting through the build...Right CASH???

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The 'Brotherhood" of men and their cars is hard to beat. The hard work, sweaty days, sanding bondo, burning yourself
when welding, all of the things that happen when restoring a car, these accomplishments can't be bought, there are
quite a few of us that know this, and try to pass it on to the younger ones. Great Job, guys.:appl:flag:weld

p.s. I haven't received the seats yet? Any idea when they might arrive.? cash...

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:winnerCash, I have a better idea. Why not ship that beautiful red bubble top on over to Pennsylvania, and I will install the seats over here, test them out for fit and comfort, drive the car for the rest of the summer, or until you get your seats done, and then ship it back to you. :taunt

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
WoW......:think I should have thought about that, great idea 62bubble. That was very inventive, like your work on
the car.:bow I'll take a few minutes today to check on how much it will cost "you" to have it shipped. :crazy