Transmission Alignment

Jerry B

Well Known Member
I do basically what Fuzz1957 says. I use soft hardware store bolts and after cutting off heads hacksaw a screw driver slot in them. I put the transmission in gear and put a yoke in the tail shaft. The bolts line it up and turn the yoke to align the input shaft with the clutch plate splines. I'm old too and don't have a lift. I use a Harbor Freight mechanical jack to raise the transmission. Sometimes takes some doing to get transmission under the car when it is on the jack but it can be done.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I’ve done this.
Find two long bolts the same size as the ones that are used to bolt transmission in place. Cut off the bolt heads. Screw these bolts in the top holes and use them as guides by putting the top transmission ear holes in them during installation. These bolts will hold transmission up in place/angle. After install, put in bottom transmission bolts to hold in place, remove top guide bolts and install top bolts. Tighten all.

Fuzz

That is genius. Never thought of that thanks Fuzz.

I applaud you old guys working off the floor. You're tough. :good

Serious. I feel like a crybaby now.

albjerryg

Well Known Member
i have the harbor freight transmission lift and I had 2 very long bolts I screwed into the top holes of the transmission but still could not push it in. On Wednesday my brother in law is coming over to help me. Hopefully we will get it in. Thanks for the advice. Jerry

Reactions: 327

Jerry B

Well Known Member
Are you turning the tail shaft yoke while the transmission is resting of the bolts and you are pushing it in. Make sure the back of the engine is down far enough that the transmission is not hitting on the floor pan. I let the back of the engine down enough that I am pushing up a little.

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I don't think he is understanding the yoke part.
Having the trans in a gear while resting on the long bolts, gives you the ability to turn the input shaft to align with the disc, by turning the yoke. You will still need to support the back of the trans to keep it perpendicular to the bell housing while turning the yoke, ever so slightly, until you "feel" the splines line up. By holding the back and pushing forward, you should feel the trans move in some. If it is still hard to push in, I then take it out of gear to relieve any bind and it should slide in fairly easily.
BUT as said, work it ALL the way in before tightening any of the 4 mounting bolts.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
He never said how far he was getting the transmission in. If he was past the throw out bearing or not was the problem . Engaging the splines was the problem? Or the pilot bearing was the problem?? Those answers might help.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
i have the harbor freight transmission lift and I had 2 very long bolts I screwed into the top holes of the transmission but still could not push it in. On Wednesday my brother in law is coming over to help me. Hopefully we will get it in. Thanks for the advice. Jerry
You said you put bolts into top bolts of the trans, or did you mean bell housing which is where they should be.