Update on BA 409

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I tried to weld up a truck housing one time. I hope you have better luck. Can't remember if axle shafts kept breaking or if the bearings kept going out. Have people here had success doing this?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You could cut the housing back to where it opens large enough to slide a new tube in. Then add a gusset inside the housing that the end of the new tube would sit in. That would really stiffen the housing, but it would be a lot of work.
Something like this then just get new axle flanges.20160331_185124.jpg

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I tried to weld up a truck housing one time. I hope you have better luck. Can't remember if axle shafts kept breaking or if the bearings kept going out. Have people here had success doing this?
Yep. Weld brackets and such on. Put in alignment bar and see how far it's warped. Straighten with press or heat and cool spots with a torch to get it back pretty darn close. Cut the ends off and weld back on to get that last little bit.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I talked to one of my go to go fast guys and he brought up the idea of making spacers for the axles bearing mount if you get my drift.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sorry no I have to help move a pool table.
Sure wish I was not doing that and would have a chance to meet.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I was thinking starting with a stock housing might be a better approach for this first rearend setup. That way we're not trying to massage somebody else's modifications. James thinks we might use that other housing for the 1961 Biscayne.

Dan and I met last weekend in Springfield, IL to exchange a set of ported 583s.

STA_5225.JPG

Those went directly to the machine shop Monday to get out fitted with new hardware :).

Plans are to use those on top of the stroker engine that gets transplanted from my SS car to the Mint To Be drag car :).

TomK