Update on BA 409

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I ran that bottom end in my SS for 12,000 miles over about 8-10 years. I always thought it was wasted in a driver car. But it did have a BW T-10 behind it for those miles :).

I located a 1962 dated coded QB suffixed 409 that more closely fit the build date of the SS car, so the "stroker engine" went into the pile. Well, the bottom end did.

James has freshened it up for use in the BA409. I think she's about 460 CI with Ross pistons from CPG, BBC rods, and an very special crankshaft made by Raymond Lewis, James' mentor who passed recently. The ported 583s were from Dan, the used cam from Brian, the headers from Mark, and the intake from Carl. Thanks guys!

Now James gets to beat on another setup for a while as we figure out the next steps.

TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Not bad for the first time out with the new engine build. We're all counting on your "track tuning" expertise to improve on those times.

As you've said, there's a bit left in that build :).

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I should have said "freshened up old truck block" and "vintage set of iron heads" :).

I guess the only thing "new" is the intake and headers (and rings and bearings and gaskets and valves and springs and keepers)...

The crank, rods and pistons have been in play for some time now.

One neato thing is that the BBC crank was turned by James' now departed mentor Raymond Lewis some years back (it's more than 8 years so I've lost count!).

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
At some point we're gonna need a new car body platform to house a proper 409 set up. The BA409 car body is a bit whipped out (corrosion) but maybe that's why it's so light :). Every time we haul or race it, it gets lighter as it deposits iron oxide in it's wake...

I know of a certain 1961 Biscayne that might be proper recipient :).

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
At some point we're gonna need a new car body platform to house a proper 409 set up. The BA409 car body is a bit whipped out (corrosion) but maybe that's why it's so light :). Every time we haul or race it, it gets lighter as it deposits iron oxide in it's wake...

I know of a certain 1961 Biscayne that might be proper recipient :).

Let's talk! :brow