Update on BA 409

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Quick question: How strict do you think the tech inspection will be in terms of stuff like the shifter, etc.?

Reason I ask is that the one in place does not have a reverse lockout or a neutral safety switch.

Quick update: James melted lead over the spider gears and reassembled the former open rear end, and it now has been fitted up to the vehicle. Also installed the aluminum billet center piece. Looks like the bracket for the 4th link ain't gonna make it in time, James is thinking of fabricating those locally. He certainly doesn't fluster under pressure. Wish I could say the same for myself.

Ordered 4 adjustable C/E shocks, drag slicks (Hoosiers), a line lock and some other stuff, should be here Monday if all goes well :).

Cheers!
TomK

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Man reading about all you guys thrashing to make it to Great Bend has got me feeling guilty. Deb and I are going to bring our 63, it's far from being done and really not driveable. We are going too get a coat of white paint on the trunk lid tomorrow so we can at least bolt it on. The front end hasn't been aligned and the brakes work ok if you pump them a couple of times but it'll go in and out of the trailer alright. We're leaving Friday morning and should be there around 2.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Mearl, I nearly drove my 62 Belair Sport Coupe to the very first get together. But my brakes were real bad, and I had a serious MRSA infection hit me 5 days before the event.

Had I been able to make it, I was hoping for 'The Rustiest Bubbletop that drove in' award......:doh

That would have been a gas...........:clap

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tom:

But it's still a "bubbletop" and it is an original 409 car, that has to add up to something :).

I suspect my 1962 BA 409 project might just be the crustiest one in attendance, assuming we get it together and running.

Cheers!
TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That's Paul Galvin's dragster and his daughter Caroline is the driver. He told me 2 weeks ago..if testing at Epping, NJ went well.............he and Caroline are for heading for Great Bend!!!! Certainly hope they can make it.

That would be really cool if they could make it! :beer

And,,, Go Tom Go!!! :beer

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Went over to James' house this Sunday AM (skipped church this week) to drop off some parts, he was fabricating the brackets for the 4th link :). He certainly has wayyy more patience than I, he just takes on a project and doesn't let go :).

My tasks are simple compared to what he is tackling.

Still a ways to go, hope to be doing some engine assembly next...

TomK

IMG_8658.JPG
Here are the fly cuts on the pistons:
IMG_8663.JPG
I robbed one of my other builds of it's Scorpions, the ones we ordered won't be here in time:
IMG_8657.JPG
and here's a shot of the truck block as of Sunday noon:
IMG_8661.JPG

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Yeah, I missed early morning Mass, call me a sinner :). Gotta cut out some things to find the time.

James has been show casing his inner fabrication talents, beginning with the leading up of the formerly open rear end (now with 4.56 gears). Check this out:

leaded up spider gears.JPG

The bracket for the 4th link did not arrive, so he fabricated those as well (both ends):

4th link bracket.JPG

Here it is installed:

4th link installed.JPG

Sorry to keep posting updates and pics, but we are having a great time and making great progress :).

Later tonight James plans on honing the cylinders and cleaning things up in preparation for assembly possible tomorrow. Time for a beer break :).

Cheers!
TomK

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Tom,
I can get you a good buy on some more lead over at Boss. We ship truck loads to Sedalia and St. Joe every day. It runs about $2300 a ton.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I guess I should have asked, what the heck does the lead do, same as welding spider gears?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mearl:

The lead is softer than a traditional weld, so if and when it gives up the ghost that softer material doesn't scatter the ring and pinion all over the track :). You still detonate the rear end, but there are lots of those open rears out there...

Hey, you should bring that C80 out to Great Bend :). The engine we are assembling is based on a truck block from a C60, so they are sort of kin folk :).

Ray, this is all James :). He's the lead dog on the sled team, I just get to tag (drag?) along. It's kinda like "Pa and I shot a bear" :) :) :).

James' race car is a 1967 Dodge Charger we bought for him a few years back. You should see what he's done to that one! After this coming week he's definitely going to be a "409 fan"!

Best,
TomK

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Sorry to keep posting updates and pics, but we are having a great time and making great progress :).
Keep them coming, this is better than going to the movie's!!!!!!:pop:popJust what does James do for a day job????

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Keep them coming, this is better than going to the movie's!!!!!!:pop:popJust what does James do for a day job????
Yes definitely keep them comin :pop......:drunk.......GRR......GRRREA......T ........Great work......,,,,,,,no seriously very impressive,

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dave:

James is the fabricator and the welder. I am an idiot compared to his skill set. My skill set does include project management, which I am fairly good at (my wife would say otherwise, but those are her projects, not mine :)). I also wield the checkbook...

We both have "day jobs", mine at the University, his at his shop. He is proprietor of Schrader Automotive here in Columbia, MO. I've known James going on 23 years and he has 10X the patience I have in these matters!

Cheers!
TomK

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I really don't have a big enough trailer to take the C-80 that far, we pulled it to Springfield on the 20 foot deckover but it really needs a dual wheel goose neck.