Vin # and the 409

As I posted on the frame thread, CDN makes sense. GM wouldn't have a 1/2 dozen different frames for the same body style, 2 maybe, or 3 tops simply for inventory control for the line. Of course a converible or wagon would be different from a sedan or hardtop. On the assembly line they would build a group of one style or another say for first shift or second or before lunch or after not mix and match hardtops, wagons, convertibles etc 10 of one then 20 of another, then 15 of something else, the assembly line has to be stocked with the BASIC parts to build one body style or another. Frames are big heavy and bulky so it would make things easier as far as THEY are concerned to have them made as "common" as possible. As far as "left overs' are concerned, again, I don't know ANYTHING about assembling CARS, only engines, but as far as ENGINES are concerned 90% of the time where the engine stayed basically the same (an added hole etc) we would begin production in May or June for a July change over to "push" the old parts out of the system. I think it would be more likely a 63 frame under a 62 than a 62 under a 63 IF THERE WAS A CHANGE!. Even back in the day GM wanted to have big parts run out at model change. Other parts would just be sent to the warehouses to be stocked as replacement parts, service parts.

When change-over was slated to start, say last week in July the parts for a 1962 would be run out and 1963 parts stocked, on the line, so the next years production could begin right away. It gets complicated to explain, but they wouldn't be building left over 1962's after 1963's were in production. Any 63's built before would be VERY limited pre-production examples. They would be building "pilot' cars off line just to see what they needed to do when the assembly line started up.

PS: You did NOT want to "stop the line" under ANY circumstances!. As in stop the line I ran out of parts. The assembly line started at the start of the shift and ran continuously, if you had to stop the line PANIC began!.

B

bowtieollie

bobs409 said:
I have to agree with that Richard. This has run it's course. I've given time for those that were involved to speak their peace but lets get back to business now.

If anyone wants to continue this argument, please do so by e-mail or private messages or you will be in violation of one of the new house rules and will be banned for 2 weeks.

Long overdue Bob.

Thanks for ending it! :D

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My '63 (Dec) Biscayne (Janesville) was originally a 283 car and has a one hole frame.

SteveD

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The two cars that I know of with "A" accessory codes are both very plainly equiped cars. One is an Impala but the only option is a Powerglide/six; the only option on Biscayne was V8/overdrive manual and deluxe steering wheel. I would be interested in any and all cars with the "A" code.

Thanks,
SteveD