Where should the 2010 348-409 Shootout be? (New)

Where should the 2010 348-409 Shootout be located?

• Total voters

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
7. John Langenfelder did the "Class Winner" decals. John figures everyone who has a 348 or a 409 is a winner so there was enough for everyone!

FredColor.jpg

Didn't Jim Carniato and Jim (sorry Jim... I forgot your last name... :doh ) do the other window decals?

304920_61.jpg

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure who did everything but knew there was a lot of behind the scenes work done. It is good that everyone is recognized for their efforts.

Bill

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well I guess I'm a little biased, but I think we should hold the meet at Thompson Raceway Park along with the Gassers just like this year. I can start talking with the track owner and manager to address any problems we encountered last meet. I had a blast. Some of the racers told me that this was a record breaking track for them. Some pulled their all time best Et while others had their best 60' times. I had both!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yeah, the track prep was great at Thompson and that's important. Nobody wants to race at a slippery track where you run half a second slower than usual.
The only real problem with Thompson is that it's a long ways from many of our members.
Thompson also has a fall Gasser meet that's similar but not as big,,, I think it's this weekend:scratch I think the fall meet tends to have less cars so it might be easier for us to get room for show car parking etc.
The only knocks I've heard on Thompson is that it's fairly expensive to get in and rain can be a problem.
For myself, I like Thompson but I'd be willing to go to a more central location.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Where did map go ???

I wanted to complicate this issue and vote twice, but don't see the map any more to decide where to vote ? I also don't seem to be able to vote a second time ?

Oh well, I'm planning to go where ever the group decides and it looks like Thompson is the direction were headed. Just have to do some detailed planning on how to get there with the car !!! :?

Bill

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Oh well, I'm planning to go where ever the group decides and it looks like Thompson is the direction were headed. Just have to do some detailed planning on how to get there with the car !!!

Bill,
If I can get the time off and can afford to go we should hook up and start us a 409 convoy.......... it would be fun and it might get more 409 cars to join us........ Be pretty cool if we could get a gaggle of 409's driving across the continent.

Dave

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds perfect to me. Muscle Car Reunion and Nostalgia Drags. Probably a big car show too. Sign me up.:beerbang

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm with Ronnie on that it sounds like the perfect place to me, and it will save me 2K round trip. Where do we sign up ????:cool::cool:

Dave: If that doesn't work out your plan sounds like fun ? We'll stay in touch and make plans after a location is selected.

Bill

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK, I voted central. Couple comments. Dicks comments must be considered on the organizational work that went into Thompson if we go somewhere else. I'm no help, didn't even have time to cut my weeds, err, grass this week.Once the vote is done I would like to see the central broke down into Thompson and Kansas City areas. There is about a 900 mile spread there. I'm in the middle so it won't make a difference to me, I'll be at either one. I also like JimsSS409 idea of the Musclecar reunion in KC as a good fit. I love the smell of nitro in the morning. Costs were reasonable at Thompson. What about costs at KC?? Overnight camping?? I'm good at questions but short on solutions.

Ray

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
KCIR and the MuscleCar Reunion

I've been to KCIR and the MuscleCar Reunion, we would fit in just fine there. We were able to park on the grass and camp, and of course there are hotels and other accomodations nearby. TomO has been to this track as well, that's where he races the '63.

They generally have such notables as Don Garlits (he takes a run down the track in one of the old timey dragsters, SwampRat I think was the name. You can get right up close to these guys, he asked James to help fire that thing up, we were just standing there in awe. Met and spent some time with Arnie Beswick (Pontiac) who also took a "courtesy lap" with his Gee-T-O Tiger car. You can also see that Dyno Don 1962 Bubbletop car, the new owner lives in central Missouri. It's about as much fun as one can have, with great cars, a good track, fun racing and a separate show area. I think they run NSS and FAST that weekend, lots of Mopar muscle comes out in those. Not many 409s, so perhaps we can turn the tide. In KC, they had a separate show area, roped off and sectioned just near where all the cars and trailers park, on the grass. In St. Louis the surface is paved, and we "camped" there as well, but not with tents, just out in the open on the trailers, etc..

I personally know the guys who put the MuscleCar Reunion on, they live here in Columbia and we are in the local car club together. They do one event in St. Louis (Gateway) and one in KC (KC International Raceway). Both are well attended, one early summer (St. Louis) with the KC event in the Fall (it was last weekend).

These are great options, and I know the owners would love to have 40-50 "W" cars show up, and that they would work to allow up to be together just like the FAST guys, etc. In 2007 I had the only 409 car, my 1962 Belair, which does NOT perform like the cars we saw in Thompson :) :) :).

Think about it!

TomK

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'd like to add my two cents worth here. The Muscle Car Reunion is all that Tom said and more. I've attended both in St.Louis and they were great! A good friend has raced at both (St.L and K.C.) and he speaks very highly of both sites andthe promoters. We would fit in with these guys real well and maybe Tom could help in getting us in. Gateway is a more modern track with an almost all paved pit area, camping is allowed( not sure about tents though), very good bite and motels, restraunts and everything is plentiful close by. Downtown St. Louis is only 8 or so miles to the west. This event is held in late May and the K.C. one is in eary Oct. I don't know too much about KCIR, except what I was told by several friends, so maybe someone could fill in the spaces on that. I think both could work for us, maybe it would be determined by witch date would be better for the majority. Where ever we end up, I be there. I have a lot of great memorys of Thompson, got to put faces with names and I can't wait for the next gathering!!!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sounding Better !!!

This Muscle Car Reunion is sounding better all the time, at least to me. Either of these venues would save me about 1K miles and two days driving each way. I can't know anything about either of the tracks or how we could get loaded into the agenda for either event, just sounds like fun. Like Mike, I had a great time at Thompson and will plan to attend where ever the group decides to go, but my vote would have to go with the Muscle Cars, if we can work it out. What would it take for someone to contact the organizers and see if it's even possible ? That would help with the discussion.

Bill

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
mike bell, You have hit the nail on the head. The memories made at the get-togethers can't be measured in dollars. Many members consider going each year but decide it is just too much trouble or too expensive. It does take a great deal of effort for most to attend but I have yet to hear of one person who was sorry they showed up. Lots of neat things happen at the get-togethers and it is the memories of those things and meeting members in person that make it a " must see" event. As far as the location of the next event, personally, it does not matter to me. As long as there are no health issues or family emergencies,, We will be there. There is a reality to face about the next event. These events are held because someone took the bull by the horns and got the job done. Phil Reed, Fred Totten, fatride, Jim Kwi, are a few who have taken the initative. I don't remember who was responsible for the Norwalk events but they should be saluted also. The Thompson event went smoothly because we also had Dick MacKenzie and Allen George supervise time and events. The next event will be even better than the last because they simply always are. More members, more cars,more memories. I am a realist and therefore realize that Texas would not be a good location because it would be too far for most. Eventually, someone will step forward and do the deed. K.C,,, ST. Louis to Ohio, I don't know but I appreciate who anyone who takes the responsibilty and moves forward.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree with what Ronnie said. I think the easiest to organize would be Thompson. 1/2 of the work is already done. The track manager now knows what to expect and what we expect. The issues of last year could be easily worked out now that they are identified. Overall they treated us very well, they enjoyed having us and it was good for everybody.

I to would like it closer...... Mission Raceway would be very cool.... good track at sea level and I could go home for lunch if I hurried..... but it's not realistic.

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Muscle Car Reunion

If I were to contact the guys who promote and run the Muscle Car Reunion in St. Louis and at KCIR, what questions would you want me to ask? I thought I could promise them about 40 cars total, 30 to race, 10 to show, plus some "drivers" and some "visitors" without their cars. Maybe 60 persons total? What else do we want to ask them, or any place we choose to attend?

Cheers,
TomK