Wrecker 350 runs! (but no oil to rockers!!)

bobs409

Administrator
I think I found the problem! The front main galley plug is leaking badly. :bang

ARGH, I could have fixed this in the truck. :bang:bang:bang

Ok, what's done is done. At least I found the problem. I even went as far as going for some plastigage and checking the front and rear bearings thinking they might be too loose causing the low pressure. They came out the same as I mentioned earlier so nothing there.

Then I thought I'd put the pan on and put the oil back in and spin the pump. With the intake off, thought I might see the trouble. While I was running it, I could hear a hissing sound at the front. Because the timing cover is off, I can plainly see when I run the drill that oil is shooting out of the top plug.

I'm going to replace those plugs and retest. I bet my oil pressure readings will shoot upward and oil should get to the top of the motor. Any takers? :D

While I'm mad as hell that I tore it ALL back apart, I'm very relieved to have the problem figured out.

bobs409

Administrator
Well, I fixed those. All 3 were leaking! There is an improvment, not as big of one as I had hoped.

I'm now getting 47lbs of pressure with the drill at full speed. After running it a bit, oil is dribbling out of every other pushrod. This is without rotating the engine at all so probably why it's every other and not all of them.

So now the question is do I chance it and put it all back together??? I'd feel better if oil was actually squirting out of those push rods and pressure 50 or higher.

Does the action of the push rods and lifters moving make more oil come out? Is 47lbs using a high volume pump acceptable or is it low?

What do you guys think? When this goes back together, that's it! I am not doing this again.

Please advise,

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have either 1 or 2 of the front galley plugs behind the cam gear with a .060 hole in them. I think just 1 on the pass side but I could be wrong. That acts like a leak of sorts and I still pull great oil pressure.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have either 1 or 2 of the front galley plugs behind the cam gear with a .060 hole in them. I think just 1 on the pass side but I could be wrong. That acts like a leak of sorts and I still pull great oil pressure.
I do that on the big blocks. Purges any air and lubes the timing chain. Chevy had a TSB on that years ago.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
How fast is your drill spinning roughly? I can remember pre-oiling smallblocks getting 60 plus pounds. If you had no debris in the pan or filter, I would go ahead and assemble.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The TSB I saw was on the big blocks. It said to drill both. There was an airlock problem and the lifters would start to clatter. I have several running big blocks, but the only one that actually had the airlock problem was in a 74 Chevelle with 454. It would start the lifter clatter for no reason driving down the road. It sounded like the engine ran out of oil. Sometimes starting and stopping the engine would get rid of the clatter. Drilling the 2 plugs cured the problem. The first TSB said to drill .030 holes, but they later said .060. The .030 holes would sometimes plug.
I have not heard of a problem with the sb's, but I drill them too, the 2 bottom plugs.

bobs409

Administrator
How fast is your drill spinning roughly? I can remember pre-oiling smallblocks getting 60 plus pounds. If you had no debris in the pan or filter, I would go ahead and assemble.

The drill says 2,800 rpms. There was some fine metal particles in the oil after the break in but nothing excessive. I saw the same amount in my 409 when I first ran it so shouldn't be a problem. ?

I did the hole in the front galley plug on the 454's too. The machine shop told me about doing that.

bobs409

Administrator
You guys think I should tighten up a bit on those main bearing specs? If so, this would be the time to do so. Speak now or forever... ah, speak now or you can pull the engine next time! :D

They were: #1 .003, #2 .002, #3 .002 #4 .002 & #5 .003

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What's the side clearance on the rods? Too much and they bleed a lot of pressure.

bobs409

Administrator
Well, we may never know the side clearance. Today I buttoned it all back up. Gonna take a chance and hope all will be good enough now.

Prayers gladly accepted. :pray

bobs409

Administrator
I posted basically the same thing in my oil flow thread but here's it again:

I'm taking a day to think this whole thing over. I'm really considering tightening up those clearances a bit. I can check the side clearance when the pan is back off that models suggested.

I just can't shake this gut feeling that something still is not right. The leaking front plugs helped some but was it enough? Wouldn't be the first time I had (2) problems at the same time!!! :bang

I guess the thing that bothers me most is that I'm not seeing oil shooting out of the push rods. A little dribble on a few. (that's spinning with the drill and pressure at 47lbs!) I did not rotate the engine so not sure if that would help or not.

Got a question... What if I switched out the Valvoline 10w/30 for some 20w/50? If it is the clearances, would that help? Would it help indicate the trouble area? Or is this a band aid on a broken leg approach?

Be gentle, I'm learning. (the hard way lately) :D