Wrecker 350 runs! (but no oil to rockers!!)

bobs409

Administrator
Derry, these are Durabond bearings. I can tell by the part number on the reciept. CH-8 My bearings are standard not oversize. I was just mentioning what I found while searching for new ones.

I have a brand new set of cam bearings on the shelf (same brand & number) so I will try replacing them and retest.

Thanks,

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Undersize cam bearings are rarely needed. Usually new cam bearings, new cam,,,good to go.

bobs409

Administrator
I have a set of standard bearings here that I'll try tomorrow. Cam checked out within specs so I guess the problem is in the bearings themselves. :dunno

Question is, do you guys think this is the cause of my low oil pressure?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a set of standard bearings here that I'll try tomorrow. Cam checked out within specs so I guess the problem is in the bearings themselves. :dunno

Question is, do you guys think this is the cause of my low oil pressure?

Yes, did you ever measure your rod side clearance? You could have a combination of things off. I forget now, you did use a different oil pres gauge, right?

bobs409

Administrator
Tried 3 different gauges, all read the same. I'll be able to check that side clearance tomorrow before I remove the crank.

Thanks,

Barry GMC

Hi Bob. Like 64ss409 said this is really not a problem you see.New cam, bearings good to go. I am bugged by the fact they align honed a block that the crank was good enough for a polishing. Why? I wish I could see this engine, I have dissected thousands of failures since I was 12. And this is weird. When I see a block that is warped enough to warrant honing and decking I just get anouther 50.00 core thats not hammered and use it. Also Bob check that crank closely. This whole thing smells like a gift fish. Barry

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All the clearances are ok, even though on the large side. I would check the rear cap where the pump bolts to and make certain no cracks or other strange problem. Also need to check that rod side clearance. I would totally dissemble and start over checking

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Bob. Like 64ss409 said this is really not a problem you see.New cam, bearings good to go. I am bugged by the fact they align honed a block that the crank was good enough for a polishing. Why? I wish I could see this engine, I have dissected thousands of failures since I was 12. And this is weird. When I see a block that is warped enough to warrant honing and decking I just get anouther 50.00 core thats not hammered and use it. Also Bob check that crank closely. This whole thing smells like a gift fish. Barry

I can understand the align hone but you wouldn't parrallel deck a used engine? I surely do. However I never just polish a used crank.

bobs409

Administrator
I am bugged by the fact they align honed a block that the crank was good enough for a polishing. Why?

I'm thinking I may have read the reciept wrong. I mentioned in a prior post that it's probably the cylinders that got align honed, not the crank area. It just has "block align honed" circled.

I'm pretty sure I requested the honing to be done with an aligning plate but that was last year...

Barry GMC

My experience with 350 chevys is that the only time they really warp is when they get very hot or hammer the mains to death. Then you are pounding out the pistons with a 2# hammer. For the first part of this thread I assumed the crank had been ground and this was the source of his problem. When I found out thecrank had been only polished. I would call this a refresh. So why an align honing? Usually on a refresh the builder will make a judgement on all of the clearances and let a few clearances slide on the wide side based on experience. This engine should be tight and well within tolerances if it represented as a new and rebuilt engine. This is why I dont like what I see. Barry

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I mostly agree with previous assesments, for the most part BUT the pressure should be much higher then it is even with the clearances as noted. I say there's a physical problem some where around the pump.

Barry GMC

Could be. But if this existed before the work you would have an engine with serous problems, 7# hot idle? this crank would have been trashed with any load. Dont like it. Barry