Wrecker 350 runs! (but no oil to rockers!!)

Barry GMC

A little more, Most of the old stuff has a lot of cylinder wear because of to much gas washing the rings, carbs are bad. the fuel injected stuff is usually worn out entirely. So I polish a lot of old cranks , and grind a lot of new stuff. I usually refresh a lot of old stuff because of oil leaks. Just my experience Barry.

bobs409

Administrator
This is the original engine from my wrecker project. 149K on it and it still ran great when I pulled it.

Barry GMC

Bob. I hate to say I am thinking about this to much. I am going to the hills tomorrow to get huckleberries and heat up some rifles with two 14 year old boys. Somehow I think you got screwed by the shop that did the work. Instead of getting ready I am thinking about your 350. This engine should not be an issue if the shop did you right..... Talk with them and show them what you have found. the #s dont lie. Spokane is home to one of the largest national remanufactures And their stuff is rough. I dont trust the shops at all. Measure it all and take it back and see what they say. Barry

bobs409

Administrator
Forgot to ask, what's the prefered method on the cam bearing oil hole alignment. I'll be driving in some new ones today then retesting the clearance. Want to get them in the correct position.

In my search, I am coming up with many different ways and opinions on this. :dunno

bobs409

Administrator
Found something. The rear cam bearing isn't driven all the way in. There is a 1/16 inch gap from it's rear edge and the stop and I can see the oil hole. :eek That would be a good sized internal oil leak wouldn't it?

I'm viewing this with the block upside down and looking in where the rear cam plug goes.

bobs409

Administrator
Yep. The #5 bearing instead of being driven in close to where the cam plug stops was sitting just about flush on the inside of the block. That left about a 1/16 inch gap that I could see the oil hole and oil groove or in other words, it still had to be driven in about 1/4 inch to be correct! :eek (you might need a block to look at for a better idea of this) And I paid $35 dollars for this!

I put in the new set of bearings and it changed the readings but still on the loose side.

#1 .00475
#2 .0035
#3 .0035
#4 .0035
#5 .00475

I checked these over and over. Thinking of getting those .001 undersize bearings to help. :dunno

bobs409

Administrator
I can't believe I actually paid to have cam bearings installed! :bang Nothing to it!

I'll be doing all my own from now on.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If that hole is exposed or misaligned it will cause an oiling problem. You should be able to drive it all the way provided the holes are lined up.

bobs409

Administrator
I think so too. Oil had to be gushing out of there.

I thought the cam bearings should be around .002

While it's all apart, I'm going to mic the crank and main bearings the same way. I'll check to see if the rear main on crank is tapered too.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cam bearings will vary from 2-4 thou. Cam bearings should not be real tight especially on a high perf engine. Your clearances will be fine now that the bearing is installed correctly.

bobs409

Administrator
Sounds good then. I can find NO taper on that rear main journal so perhaps it's in the bearing itself? The journal is coming in at 2.448 across the whole thing. It was reading .002 on one end and .003 on the other with the plastigage. I could toss in a fresh set of bearings since it's all apart.
I think a gasket set and a few hours is all I need. :D

bobs409

Administrator
I got some pics that show what the problem was.

Picture one shows the rear bearing fitting almost flush with the bore on the inside of block. (arrow)
Picture two shows it from the back. You can even see the oil hole. (arrow)
Picture three shows how it should look on the inside. This is the new bearing and my handi-work. :D I put all the holes at 2:00 o'clock.

If all goes well, should be running again by the end of the week. And this time hopefully with good oil pressure!

100_9446.jpg100_9448.jpg100_9449.jpg

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:rubBob it looks like some one got carried away driving the the cam plug in the back or the plug was in and they didn't look close enough to tell there was a problem. This is one of those experiance lessons we all went thru along the way. Luckily places like this site can teach mostly on other peoples mistakes. For your intended use I say gaskets and go.