Wrecker 350 runs! (but no oil to rockers!!)

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Getting back to the rear plug on the cam bore. On my first rebuild, the machine shop seated my cam plug so deep that the cam was bouncing off the plug and putting metal dust into my motor.:eek There is a plug seating dept in the shop manual. Leo

bobs409

Administrator
This is certainly one for the books!

I know it wasn't from the cam plug, I put that in and only put in just below the bevel.

I've been searching the net for days now and not one mention of this happening that I found. Or nobody is admitting anything. :D

I'm just glad I finally have some answers! (and very happy it wasn't my fault too) ;)

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Leo is right...make sure they see the pic without making it a pi$$ing contest, you may need them in the future! Unless, of course, they try to pass the buck or make excuses. Then it's time for a new shop.

bobs409

Administrator
Woohoo! I struck oil! Banana dance time! :dance

How does 85 lbs at 2,800 rpms sound? :dance

That's spinning it with my drill. Oil came flying up to the lifters this time. I'm sure I'll have no trouble getting it up to the rockers.

Just waiting on a few more parts to complete it. Probably be running in 2 days. Well, better go get those heads back on. They aren't going to install themselves. :D

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:D Bob you have to love it when a plan comes together. Great news on your conquest. In the future you will pay more attention to what some one else does before you build. At least it was a project instead of a daily driver. Good luck with the rest of this build I think you paid all your dues so it should be clear sailing now,

bobs409

Administrator
Yes that's a lesson alright. From now on, I'll be mic'ing (is that a word?) and measuring everything before it goes to the machine shop and more importantly after it comes back. Won't have to check cam bearings because I'll be doing those myself from now on. ;)

Gonna get me a finer tooth comb to go over them from now on. :D

Lesson learned: Just because you pay a professional shop to do the work doesn't mean it will be done correctly. Question everything! :D

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Way to go, Bob. We never stop learning.

The new corollary to "He who knows the rules best, wins", is
"How can you know it's wrong, if you don't know what is right?":deal

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Bob, I have heard it said persistence pays & you certainly have proven that. Happy you found the problem.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
With all services these days you have to watch em like a hawk, with almost all companies they push thier employees to get the most production possible, and sometimes the final product suffers. :cry

bobs409

Administrator
Just wanted to thank everyone who replied. Lots of good ideas were thrown out here and I did learn alot!

Engine is all back together minus an oil pan & timing cover gasket. Just waiting on a big brown truck for those. :D

So here I am eating Wendy's Chili and a chocolate Frosty. :pop (I bet I just made a few hungry) :laugh

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
See Bob, as you get older you get wiser, especially from things like this. "Don't bother checking_________ it was put together by experts, and I'm just an amateur". "It can't be that, they knew what they were doing". I also find as I get older, I am more cynical. Wonder why?

85 lbs sounds great on a drill.

Don

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,
Several years ago, I had a guy that builds race car engines (for over 40 years) prep a 348 block for me.
When I got the block home & on my engine stand, I rotated it over to check everything prior to assembly &
noticed he had installed the rear cam bearing upside down ! No oil would have flowed thru there !
You just can't trust anyone's work. Gotta check everything.

How's it going now ? The brown truck show up yet ?

bobs409

Administrator
Will be firing it up early today. Engine is back in and just a few things to hook up before count down.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this time. :D

I hope to be driving it around my lot/yard tomorrow. :brow