Z11- Hayden Proffitt Story

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Note his spark insulators on his plug wires instead of using the wire holders on the valve cover and of course the added breathers.
Good eye. I saw the added breathers in the front of the valve covers but didn't see the ones in the rear until looking back at the plug wire separators. That large alternator pulley isn't stock either is it?
I noticed there are no carb spacers. Were they not popular yet or not allowed?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Throttle linkage adjusted all the way out as it should be, heater delete as most all Z-11 were, unique plug wires, note the plug ends.
I'm not familiar with the chalk marking on the hood hinge bracket. Hayden looks as if he is stretching across the fender to keep from denting it.
Lots of minutiae

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
In regards to Greg and his 409 Club of America. I also was a card carrying member in the 80's and still might have a few newsletters. It was good to read more of Greg's remembrances and history of those rare beasts. I was at Super Chevy Indy when Jim Jones brought his white Belair to race against Lamar Walden.

Wild Bill

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Wild Bill, that was a fun old club and we all had good memories. I had to give it up because I got real busy with too much stuff at once. Glad that you remembered us and all those good old races. This forum is the natural next step from what we did back then. Bob does a tremendous job , but the real fresh input also comes from the many contributors.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I'm not sure if the original red 62 BelAir Hayden had license plates but if I had replica of it, a Cone Chevrolet license plate frame would top it off.

(yeah, that's a hint....)

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Interesting note about Hayden's '62, I think it was assembled at the Doraville GA GM plant and delivered through Jim Rathman Chevrolet not Cone Chevrolet originally. Some static between Hayden & Mickey Thompson on the Pontiac split caused this I heard. Also ordering a '62 409 Bel air hardtop was not the easiest thing to do compared to a Impala coupe for some reason. I think Bill Thomas pulled some strings to expedite the assembly of Hayden's '62 409 with help of Jim Rathman Chevrolet. It would make sense Hayden's car would of been built in Van Nuys CA GM plant (Southgate California GM plant did not restart on big Chevy's until 1964) though I was not even around when all this was taken place. I had a good clear photo of Hayden leaving the line at Lion's drag strip in 1962 with the front license plate (yellow) clear as day. Match race madness (Dick Towers) sold these photos in Los Angeles.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Harold Clay found a picture of Hayden's car when it had a license plate on it. He blew up the picture and had a plate made!! It's on the car that Ron bought.

I have a line on a license plate frame from Cone Chevrolet in Anaheim. Kinda neat. But we all tossed them in our youth.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm not old enough and not from Texas but bare with me ......in some recent posts you fellas were talking about a behemouth of a man,"hands",could pick up engine blocks by hand......there's a fella at the 4:37 mark that resembles the hulk and drives a 56 chev......just thought I'd throw that out there.matter of fact the run right before Barry's father.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I only see about three that I know are cars from Austin, Hands Hartkopf, Cox & Hayden CG/D and I think that was Buck & Boles Roaster. Think there are one or two more, just not sure. Thank you for posting, lots of memories there.:appl:appl

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I'm not old enough and not from Texas but bare with me ......in some recent posts you fellas were talking about a behemouth of a man,"hands",could pick up engine blocks by hand......there's a fella at the 4:37 mark that resembles the hulk and drives a 56 chev......just thought I'd throw that out there

Yes that is Hands in the white 56 Chevy Gas car E/G-set the E/G record of 14.32 @ 97.92 MPH (AHRA) at Corpus Christi, Tx.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A lot of cool 348 409 Chev's including shot of Jack Bayer in his monaco blue Z-11 at Pomona 1963 (Bill Bader Chevrolet) and a '62 421 Pontiac. Make sure you start this clip from the very beginning also to see all the neat footage. For some reason when you click on the big arrow on the center of the screen, the footage starts from halfway through it (After you hit play or the arrow, just point your mouse (hand icon) to the red bar on near the bottom of the screen and drag it all the way to the left to start from the beginning ).

Sorry for bombarding you guys with this stuff, still going through a rough time with my girl leaving me and trying to pass time...or jump off a bridge, Raj

Last edited:

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
A lot of cool 348 409 Chev's including shot of Jack Bayer in his monaco blue Z-11 at Pomona 1964 (Bill Bader Chevrolet) and a '62 421 Pontiac.

Sorry for bombarding you guys with this stuff, still going through a rough time with my girl leaving me and trying to pass time...or jump off a bridge.
keep posting stuff we like it and No Bridges!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
A lot of cool 348 409 Chev's including shot of Jack Bayer in his monaco blue Z-11 at Pomona 1964 (Bill Bader Chevrolet) and a '62 421 Pontiac. Make sure you start this clip from the very beginning also to see all the neat footage. For some reason when you click on the big arrow on the center of the screen, the footage starts from halfway through it (After you hit play or the arrow, just point your mouse (hand icon) to the red bar on near the bottom of the screen and drag it all the way to the left to start from the beginning ).

Sorry for bombarding you guys with this stuff, still going through a rough time with my girl leaving me and trying to pass time...or jump off a bridge, Raj
We're better for you than most girls!!!!!!!!!!!!