1961 Biscayne drag car

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mearl: That's the same guy! He still has that '66 and another '67 Ford Fairlane in the buildings out back. Good guy, he was honest to deal with :).

Dick: I've been looking specifically for a 1961 Biscayne 2 door flat top for about 2-3 months, to be used as the basis for a drag car. Then this one popped up, and we zipped down the very next day to examine her. We're jazzed to be able to acquire the car, I look forward to moving the project forward with the objective of getting it prepped for Kentucky in 2016!

Best, TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey, Tom.......... I know if you turn James loose on the '61 that it will be ready for Bowling Green, however, why not update the rear end in the black '62 and you drive it at Bowling Green and James drive the '61???? Low 12s in the '62 does not require a cage so you could have a blast driving it and James could probably be deep in the 11s with the '61... No doubt you can overcome the logistics problem and get both cars there. :cheers

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
She's a beauty! :beer
No VIN and it's already tubbed,,, so no guilt about turning it into a drag car.
I'll throw out the first name suggestion,,, how about "Cloud Nine"

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Don: Early retirement is kinda nice, but I am still about 60% at least for the next year. I still have toooo many things going on, it's just I have a better attitude about things now that I've "retired" :) :) :).

Ronnie: We think alike! I told James we should consider campaigning both cars next year, with an emphasis on the 1961. That idea surfaced after we lunched the soldered-up peg leg on the second run of a Friday night Test and Tune. If we had another car we wold have played with that a bit while the other was down for the day (James swapped out the rear on Saturday).

James has a good friend Raymond who is contributing a 1957 Pontiac rear end that we plan to four link that housing and stick in the rear of the '62. Unless the 12 bolt in the 1961 turns out to be a lemon or otherwise undesirable :).

Jim, James came up with a name today: "Mint To Be". The paint code is Seafoam Green (kinda minty...) and the interior is Green. Now we don't have to repaint the car :).

Cheers!
TomK

blown 409

Well Known Member
nice car , hoping i would have the only 1 that color,,,

Attachments

• 61 409 frt.JPG
    61 409 frt.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 61 409 left.JPG
    61 409 left.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 61 409 lf.JPG
    61 409 lf.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 61 409 rear.JPG
    61 409 rear.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 61 409 under hood.JPG
    61 409 under hood.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 61  at thompson.jpg
    61 at thompson.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 61 409 bir.jpg
    61 409 bir.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 164

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I remember that car from Thompson a few years back, very fast :).

It's "Tim", isn't? I knew it was a Biscayne, I just didn't remember your exact colors. Now I remember! You should bring that baby to Bowling Green next summer :).

James, I'm sure you noted the M/T crossram :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

No409

Supporting Member 1
my first car was suppost to be a 61 Biscayne. Dad bought it, FLA car, 283/4-speed. after it was roadworthy, He decided it was 2 nice for my for me to have as a first car. I learned to drive / and drive stick on that bad boy. ended up with my 63( which is my baby) so I cant complain

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Well after some checking last night it's looking like one of those cars that has been narrowed three times and still to narrow.
Looks like I will need to narrow another rear end. I don't think that I will need 15 plus inches of rear tire.
I will try and get some better pictures tonight.
I am thinking that I can get some new brackets for the ladder bars and move them outside the rear frame and set it up for a 10.5 rear tire. Should be about wright.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Have any of you guys installed the Chris Alston Chassis Works roll cage kits?
I am wondering how tight they fit.
I have installed the Chassis Engineering kits before and was not happy with the fit. Thought it could have fit tighter and the ones that I have bent myself were much closer fit.
Just looking to save some time and I know that could bite me in the ass.
Thanks James

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We put an Alston cage kit in my Nova. It fits very well, and there is enough extra length everywhere that you can pretty much make it as tight as you want. Their shop is not too far away, and all I can say is that everything is first-class in my opinion.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
We put an Alston cage kit in my Nova. It fits try well, and there is enough extra length everywhere that you can pretty much make it as tight as you want. Their shop is not too far away, and all I can say is that everything is first-class in my opinion.

Do they use halo or door bars.....if door bars are they long enough to go thru the dash in line with the "A" pillar????

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I did talk with the tech department and they do not use the halo type cage for this car so one car get a tighter fit.
But as we know everybody has a different standards.