1961 Biscayne drag car

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When we were installing the roll cage in the Pontiac we read on the rules a bit.
In section 4:10 Roll Bar it says...
"All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar bolted or welded to frame"
Another important detail is...
"Unless an OEM framerail is located below and outside of drivers legs (i.e., 55 Chevy, '65 Corvette, etc.) a rocker or sill bar minimum 1 5/8" X .083 CM or .118 MS or 2" x 2" X .058" CM or MS Rectangular is manditory in any car with a modified floor or rocker box within the roll cage uprights excluding 6 sq. ft. of transmission maintenance opening).

In our case we ran outriggers off the frame and put a length of square tubing in the rocker panel.
When the NHRA inspector came, that was one of the first things he looked for. The cage was certified with no problems.

Here are a few pictures of the Pontiac roll cage.

1pontiac115.jpg

1pontiac507.jpg

1pontiac558.jpg

1pontiac568.jpg
I think I understand all the frame mods, except the ones in front of the engine. What purpose do those mods have?
BTW, nice damn work!

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I understand all the frame mods, except the ones in front of the engine. What purpose do those mods have?
BTW, nice damn work!

We installed a C 4 Corvette front clip.
Those curved pipes are to hold the new rad support,bumper, and fenders.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Time for a little up date and input.
Helping my ol friend Raymonds yesterday and got a chance to check out a rear end that I had given him some years ago.
Its a Dana 60 with MW stuff in it and as close as I could tell it is around 48 inches wide.
Now the wheels are centerline auto lite (or drag ) with 3 inch back space that are maybe 12 or 15 inch wide.
Sorry but it was going to take some young help to get a real measurement but if my math is correct it could be 72 or 66 inches wide.

So what do you guys think about a match for the Mint-To-Be ?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Wow, where did all the time go? It's been almost 6 years since I phased my retirement and now 3-4 years fully retired.

Either I'm getting tooooo old and feeble to tackle these types of projects, or I have too many projects ongoing. Maybe a little of both?

James has recently rekindled this 1961 Biscayne project and while we have a few other efforts going on (especially James) it's something that will eventually will be properly done.

The front clip on this Biscayne is super solid (as are the doors and quarters) but we have other options.

1961 Belair 348 FIBERGLASS.jpg

This is a set of fiberglass panels that I just got, so I hung them on the old Belair just to see how they looked :). They need to go on the Mint to Be project along with those wheels from Donnie's car. James even has the mostly complete 409 engine that was in Donnie's Obsolete Missile and these parts may live on in another lifetime once again :) :) :).

Cheers! TomK