1961 Biscayne drag car

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Try S&W Racecars in Spring City, PA. They used Wully Bully for their template when they created their rollbar. They have top quality stuff. I can't say about the full cage though, as we only have a 6 point bar in it.
Steven

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I put a S&W 10 pt. in Ronnie's Car and it was a good fit. Because of rust in the rockers I added a a lower bar from the hoop to the A-pilar bar.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My plan is to run some outriggers from the frame out to the rockers and then run a tube front to back for the main hoop and the front down bar to weld to.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Well after some research I placed an order for some tubing.
Should be in some time next week.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
DOM mild steel and had to drive 65 miles to get it.
The local steel supply place could not get any and the call out fro cromemoly did not get back before I made the order for this tubing.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
James:

Let the measuring, cutting and bending begin :) :) :).

I hope to learn a lot as we move forward on this fun project!

TomK

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When we were installing the roll cage in the Pontiac we read on the rules a bit.
In section 4:10 Roll Bar it says...
"All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar bolted or welded to frame"
Another important detail is...
"Unless an OEM framerail is located below and outside of drivers legs (i.e., 55 Chevy, '65 Corvette, etc.) a rocker or sill bar minimum 1 5/8" X .083 CM or .118 MS or 2" x 2" X .058" CM or MS Rectangular is manditory in any car with a modified floor or rocker box within the roll cage uprights excluding 6 sq. ft. of transmission maintenance opening).

In our case we ran outriggers off the frame and put a length of square tubing in the rocker panel.
When the NHRA inspector came, that was one of the first things he looked for. The cage was certified with no problems.

Here are a few pictures of the Pontiac roll cage.

1pontiac115.jpg

1pontiac507.jpg

1pontiac558.jpg

1pontiac568.jpg