1961 Biscayne project in Fargo ND

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Gus, I am butting in here, there was also a recent thread on this with some very good images.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The other week i had the car at the track and she just did not seem right :scratchSo we did a leak down test and sure enough three cylinders where low :eek:grumbleso out came the engine and come to find out what was happening was
The two screws in the lockdown for the advance on the distributor came out so the timing was jumping all over and detonation was happing and wiped out the rings:cuss. So a quick rebuild and back to life and even picked up a few HP

Last edited:

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well that worked out pretty well. Aside from a bit of work, broken rings are relatively cheap to fix.
The extra horsepower is a bonus too. :beer

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
:clap:clap:clap

Hp increases all the way to 7500 rpm, I have not seen that too often. Brian what is your redline, 8500 :dunno

Can't wait to see you run it in September.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:clap:clap:clap

Hp increases all the way to 7500 rpm, I have not seen that too often. Brian what is your redline, 8500 :dunno

Can't wait to see you run it in September.
I’m going to keep the rev limiter set at 7600rpm:deal just not too sure how much this original 409 block can handle!:dunno They were never designed to handle this kind power and stress back then:D

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm glad to hear it was nothing serious.....and that ya'll caught it before it turned serious. The extra HP you found is icing on the cake. Everyone likes cake!

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Today I decided to take the 61 to weight scale around the corner from my house and :eek1holy $hit she hit the scale at 3565LB with me in the car No wonder I can’t getter moving any faster time for diet! Or more HP:D

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would have thought it would be a little lighter, but not much. I'd have guessed around 3250 (without driver) with all the weight you've already pulled. What does your '62 weigh in comparison?

The old saying goes: Instead of looking for places to remove a pound, look for 16 places to remove an ounce.
Or even as the Bible tells us - Lay aside the weights that so easily beset us.

If I can find an extra pair of doors (that aren't so nice I'd feel guilty) then I plan on cutting some pounds of the inner away. The door panels will cover it up. VFN makes fiberglass valence panels if you're not already using them. I've thought about Lexan side windows before, but only if I could get them to look stock. Everyone installs them in a "fixed" position these days screwed or riveted to a frame, but I was thinking maybe more like Mopar did back in the days......you know the ones that used a seat belt to pull the windows up. I just don't see why you couldn't mount Lexan in the factory window regulators and have it look stock?

For the 9" - aluminum center section, aluminum spool, gun drilled axles with "starred" flanges.
Stuff sure can get expensive but I guess if you plan for the least weight when you're first buying parts it wouldn't be as bad as replacing heavy parts you already bought.
I know I have about 15 or 20 pounds of DRIVER weight I need to lose.
You're already going a lot quicker/faster than I ever want to go!!! It is awesome seeing what some of ya'll are accomplishing. I sure enjoy showing results and build thread pictures to some of the guys at work who think you have to build a turbo'd import or LSx powered / EFI car to go fast.

Last edited:

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well after some more mishaps the other week with the MSD distributor locking up and shearing off a few teeth it has been one thing after another with this 61 build this year:grumble but I did get a few passes in last night with air temp at 77 and the track prep was $hit:bang and going through the traps at only 6900rpm thinking I might need to go back to the 4.88:rub

IMG_0301.JPG

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
140 mph ? You have the power, Brian. You are a full tenth slow on the 60 ft. time. Maybe track prep . Maybe some more tweeking on rear suspension. Shock settings, etc. Hang in there, just a few more test and tunes to get it all ironed out.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
keep at it Brian, looking good. Maybe you need to take control of the track preping:pop
Gav

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1-9.jpg
2-7.jpg
3-8.jpg

Looking good Brian.
There is weight to be saved by drilling holes.
Here is some of the work we did on the Pontiac. :beer

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have seen aluminum hinges on Ebay before as well......labeled Z11. I've never read anything that says the Z11 actually had aluminum door hinges, but either way they seem pretty cool. Pricey though $$$$

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian, That is huge. What are you using for a clutch? I bet there are several tenths you can pick up with the right clutch.
My SS was 4010 and could 60 ft a 1.46 with the 5.14. With the torque you're making, I bet you''l see low 1.30's