Algon Fuel Injection Question

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone know for sure if there was an Algon intake for the large port heads? I'm sure the only ones I have seen pictures of are for the small port. I had a guy call me tonight because he had heard I have some 409 stuff. He wanted to buy every piece I had.......name my price.... I told him if I did that I wouldn't have a hobby.

Anyway he says he's been collecting 348' & 409's for many years. I think he's full of it 'cause he didn't really know much about the engines........ and his father in law came to me 2 years ago looking for a 409 to put into his '64 Impala......

Then he told me has has several Algon injection systems, some for 348's and some for 409's.......

I think the guy smoked something bad for lunch ............but did they make a large and small port Algon???

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Big port Algons

Dave:

I've seen the big port Algon first hand, tried to buy several years ago when the guy priced it to me. Went back recently and he won't sell it. He's a bit odd, lives here locally, and is sitting on a ton a BBC and some W stuff. He almost NEVER sells stuff, but apparently needed some cash and I happened to be there. I hope to outlive him and go to the auction some day in the future ...

But the big port ones are the only one I've seen personally. That fellow in CA has had a small port Algon unit on Ebay a few times. I think he had the big port one as well, but that sold a few months back.

So there are two kinds of intakes, one for each set of head sizes.

Sell the blowhard guy a broken 348 block for $2500, see if he goes for it :). Just kidding!

Have fun,
TomK

bbq2

Dave, they do make both. The large port have Pat.Pend. on them near the distributor. I have two large port. Jeff

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Here's a pic of my good friend's New Old Stock HP 409 Algon Manifold that has been completely gone thought at Kinsler. It's a monster!

photo-0017.jpg

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site :clap That injection set-up is awesome ( REAL PRETTY ):D Please see if you can post some pictures of your ride for the rest of us to enjoy.:crazy:cool::cheers

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Welcome to the site :clap That injection set-up is awesome ( REAL PRETTY ):D Please see if you can post some pictures of your ride for the rest of us to enjoy.

If you're refering to me k9, the 409 is not mine, it's a good friend of mines. :D

Here's my 1961 Impala Convertible I've been working on for the last year. Nothing fancy or special, she's a 5.7L, but not a 348. Don't bash me fellas! :cry

I went from this....
rag1sun015.jpg

To this in a matter of two weeks right out my garage, from the paint on the firewall, to the wiring. Nothing was left untouched.
pinic036.jpg

61rag027.jpg

61rag009.jpg

61rag026.jpg

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Holly Crap !!!!......... It took me 3 or 4 months to do mine......

Very very nice my friend...... I don't think there will be any bashing going on !!

Dave

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
That small block doesn't make you a bad person here !:bow I started my barn storming days in 1968 with a small block in my '57. ( .060 327w/283 small journal crank and a Racer Brown Roller.) Chevy 340292 angle plug heads from Chevy's Power Book. Edelbrock tunnel ram and 650 Holleys. That car needs a "W" when that small block gets tired. Probably never will though.:cry:cheers:crazy:cool:

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
That small block doesn't make you a bad person here !:bow I started my barn storming days in 1968 with a small block in my '57. ( .060 327w/283 small journal crank and a Racer Brown Roller.) Chevy 340292 angle plug heads from Chevy's Power Book. Edelbrock tunnel ram and 650 Holleys. That car needs a "W" when that small block gets tired. Probably never will though.:cry:cheers:crazy:cool:

Well thanks for the reassuring words K9! I feel welcomed here at 348-409.com
:hug

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great upgrading !!!!

First pics are the usual gaudy crap all over the engine,,

What you did is classy and very good looking !!!
I like the black detailing !!!!!:clap

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Well fellas, I got the approval for posting a couple more shots of the Large Port High Performance ALGON with Kinsler Mechanical Injectors. Not to mention, Magneto Vertex built by Don Zig, The H.P. 409 (814 Block) with 690 heads was totally rebuilt by Curt Harvey in California. Electric Booster, 4 wheel disc brakes.

My opinion only, you probably won't see a more beautiful Algon 409 in the world next to this one.

0920091252c.jpg

0920091252d.jpg