intake oil splash shield

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
so what about all of the Edelbrock intake manifolds is everyone retrofitting a 881 intake manifold oil Splash Shield to the bottom.........

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe on the earlist manifolds,but the newer ones have gone to a different type of baffle that solves the problems that the earlier ones had.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
are you referring to pcv at the rear of the manifold with a little splash Shield and then they retrofit some hose that runs to your air filter base..........

Last edited:

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Edlebrock had a mini shield initially to cover for a PCV on their intakes. Sucked too much oil so not they send a set up to us it as the fresh air inlet(which you need with a PCV) and put the PCV somewhere different. I added an 881 shield but have not used a PCV on it yet.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe Geary,but we need to know a little more about your build,like head type,which manifold are you using,pcv set up,compression.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
The Edelbrock item looks nice .On the OEM 881 intake,the coil bracket has two threaded bosses in the intake that go through the manifold into the lifter valley. If you leave off the baffle on the bottom of the intake, and mount your coil on the firewall, you need to put 5/16"NC bolts in the coil bracket mounting holes in order to prevent an oil leak that's hard to find. I went through that on the first 409 I put together for myself. This leak only appeared after the engine got run moderate hard. Oil from the camshaft got slung up on the bottom of the intake and exited that bolt hole where it got on the firewall and the back of the engine and would show up on the ground under the car when it was parked. What caused me to find it was when I had the intake off and replaced it with one that still had the valley baffle in place.Unbenounced to me, that was what fixed it.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Could run without the shield if you block the exhaust crossover and open the heat riser flap. Oil control is easier if you put the breather/s in the valve covers and use some sort of baffle.

bschulze

Well Known Member
They are available so why not use one? The stock 348 4 barrel shield fits the Tri-Power so there should be a bunch out there. They are easy to take off and replace. (After market manifolds, probably a different story)
I'm not sure that the 409 uses the same shield but others can say.

Darren Blake

Funny how I just removed the factory splash shield on a factory 409 Winters Dual Quad intake to have it powder coated. Just ordered 3/16" drive rivets to reinstall once it gets back from powder coating.