Jardine Update

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I had a really neat talk with Jerry Jardine this evening!!! Hayden called and said Jerry had called him today and wanted me to talk with him. It is great to visit with legends from the past of drag racing!!! Jerod........tell your dad again that I really enjoyed the visit!!

You will have a little "surprise" in the mail shortly!!!! Wished we could have met earlier in the "Hayden" project.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
we've layed out a set on the car. We built a set of try-ys that should work bitchen on a street/ strip car. They fall out of the car so install should be a cake walk. They fit with the big starter as well. We're also talking about jiging up an exhaust system also in 2.5" with cut outs. The system will likley exit be fore the rear wheel.
My Pops is working on the bigger set now and we should have some info on them soon.
My camera is on the fritz so I don't have any pics. I'll get some posted when I get a new one or borrow one.
Thanks,
Jerod

Hey Jared

Do you have any idea when the bigger set will be available? ...and /or the one with the cut outs? Would you be able to provide these sets on a "special order" basis?

Ron

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
62 409 headers

I will have my 2" headers from Jerod this week, that exit without modifications to the inner fenders. They are for my stroker motor 409 -474 cubic inch motor.

They will have the drag race cutouts for them, they are coming soon from Jerod. I can send some pictures.

Paul Stensland

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
62 headers

I told Jerod to check his e-mail on this site, sometimes he does not check it very often.
He called to tell me that the headers have two stud instead of bolts, so that the headers will fit the car without modifications. I told him you where asking about his headers.

He is also getting stainless gaskets for me for these headers. He is sending those hopefully by the end of this week. Jerod has told me that these headers are test fit on a 62 chevy.

I have to get these headers jet coated in Waverly Nebraska(about 100 miles from me). I think the cost is about $250/275 for the jet coating don't remember for sure.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
62 headers

I told Jerod to check his e-mail on this site, sometimes he does not check it very often.
He called to tell me that the headers have two stud instead of bolts, so that the headers will fit the car without modifications. I told him you where asking about his headers.

He is also getting stainless gaskets for me for these headers. He is sending those hopefully by the end of this week. Jerod has told me that these headers are test fit on a 62 chevy.

I have to get these headers jet coated in Waverly Nebraska(about 100 miles from me). I think the cost is about $250/275 for the jet coating don't remember for sure.

Paul

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Paul

Look forward to the pictures when you have them installed ...and/or before they are installed.

Thanks again...!!

Ron

Jerod Jardine

Well Known Member
My dad talked to Lamar Walden late last week and Lamar saw an 18hp increase over the Hooker 4-1. He also Liked how the try y fit. It's some what more compact.
I'll get some dyno sheets and post here hopefully next week.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My dad talked to Lamar Walden late last week and Lamar saw an 18hp increase over the Hooker 4-1. He also Liked how the try y fit. It's some what more compact.
I'll get some dyno sheets and post here hopefully next week.

We need specs on the build also! What diam. primarys secondarys, collector?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
jardine headers

My headers from Jerod are 2" primaries, and 3 1/4" collectors. I asked for 2" size for my 409 stroker motor.
Here are some pictures of the headers, the first picture shows two sets of headers, the closest in the picture is the set that goes on my car.

Paul Stensland

Attachments

• DSCN4182.jpg
    DSCN4182.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN4188.jpg
    DSCN4188.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN4189.jpg
    DSCN4189.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 159

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
How will the new 4/7 lobe swap cams affect header selection. Am I to assume that the tri y headers are set up for the standard firing order? Leo:dunno

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
We need specs on the build also! What diam. primarys secondarys, collector?
I just got off the phone with Jerry. The engine was a 480 stroker but don't know about the headers, probably 2 inch. Jerod can update.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
My headers from Jerod are 2" primaries, and 3 1/4" collectors. I asked for 2" size for my 409 stroker motor.
Here are some pictures of the headers, the first picture shows two sets of headers, the closest in the picture is the set that goes on my car.

Paul Stensland

Hey Paul.....

How's are things progessing with the project?:)

Ron

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
62 SS 409 Progress

The 409 stroker motor and 4 speed overdrive transmission is installed. Working on the rear end and the 4 wheel disc brakes. I am switching to my original 62 Power brake unit so it will fit my valve covers. Also have to get different cable for the rear disc brakes, to connect to the rear discs.

I have the Jardine headers ceramic coated they will be installed this week. Have to take the car off my drive on hoist - to provide room to fit the headers. I have some connectors for the headers to the mufflers that Jerod provided, I can post pictures these later this week

See this thread - for progress photos that I have already posted:
http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18135

I attached one picture. One my wife likes this one with all the legs when we installed the clutch and transmission. 4 of us where under the car, at one time. she took the picture.

Paul

Attachments

• DSCN4259.jpg
    DSCN4259.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 112

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul, Are you using the stock rear end and, if so what conversion did you use for the rear disc brakes and how does the parking brake set up work?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
nuncie 4 speed overdrive

I had my overdrive transmission done like the one on the link below, the ratios are the same, I noted some companies selling the gear sets on the internet.

http://www.m-22.com/m22/

The gears are Italian made I am told. My muncie was built by Wayne Euper in Richmond, Missouri. He knew all about it when I asked about 3 years ago. he also warranites his transmissions. Cost was $1350 a good price over a standard $ 950 at the time standard muncie rebuilt and with a warranty.

I also used a regular hurst competion plus 4 speed shifter we just turned the 3/4 arm upside down(see picture below). All of this on the shifter to not cause modifcation to the floor in my original 62 SS -409.

I have not driven the car yet with this transmission. It seems to shift very nice even without grease in the transmission yet. It remains to be seen if 3 gears plus one overdrive be ok or great.:scratch

My rear end is stock housing with a 4:11 posi -final rear end ratio will be 3.54 in 4 gear.
My posi is renforced with girdles to hold the posi in the case from Aubrey B. in Canada. I asked about what I needed to do to run my set up and he said fix the rear end with the girdles and use better axles. This was based on what he did with his 62 409 NHRA legal D/S bubble top. He could not change the housing. My drag strip usage will be limited, I think.:deal

For my 4 wheel disc brakes I purchased a Right Stuff 4 wheel setup. I purchased powder coated calipers and zinc plated rotors. They have been very helpfull sending me parts at no cost or shipping for the cables I need. Just got another call tonight from Ohio on the rear brake cable so it fits my car without frame modiifcations. I just have the wrong length. The cables for the brakes is what is new. they provided a new center cable that is the same length as the original.

Pictures below show the rear brakes both sides and front brakes back side. Also one of the front brakes backside. The rims are 16" billet specialities. We had to grind some on the brackets with the kit to fit the rear axle housing welds. my frame is power coated.

Paul

Attachments

• DSCN4380.jpg
    DSCN4380.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN4388.jpg
    DSCN4388.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN4389.jpg
    DSCN4389.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN4384.jpg
    DSCN4384.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN4385.jpg
    DSCN4385.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 61

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wonder if he could do some for a bbc :dunno I don't run an oil filter on the clutch side of the motor and a mini starter.
Other than the engine side flange and possibly the angles it should work:dunno The side exit would be allot easier than the unders!
How can I send him an e-mail?