Vincent Fiala Z11 tribute "Bad News" build.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When I did legal research, I would always have to remind people "Everything is related to everything else". You mentioned a few important facts. No one has seen it. No parts are known to have been pulled and used other places that we know of. No wrecked hulk has been discovered. No images of it racing other cars has been found. When so little is known it only needs to be found. I have a few friends that specialize in finding stolen cars. What they have for resources are focused on finding cars and that is what I'm looking for. With my luck, I'll finish this crazy build and find it the next day. :laugh2

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have talked to a guy that says he has a 63 that he bought from a junk yard at auction when it closed down that word was had a light weight front end on it. Now I know that that doesn't mean it could of been a regular that just raced with a front clip at some time. :dunno2

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have talked to a guy that says he has a 63 that he bought from a junk yard at auction when it closed down that word was had a light weight front end on it. Now I know that that doesn't mean it could of been a regular that just raced with a front clip at some time. :dunno2
What is his job? The guy that walked into my work place and told me about the car he bought at auction works on skyscraper/tower cranes helping set them up and bring them down all over.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Not asking what the VIN is, but do you know what it is? Have you found any documents that have it? Those friends may come in very handy.

I've run across several 63 hardtop projects and a few in wrecking yards over the years and almost all I've seen are St. Louis built. Occasionally Janesville, maybe LA. I've never found a 63 hardtop that was built in Flint.:(

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:brow:munch:pop:coffee This is truly entertaining and fascinating. The fact you actually get to speak to the “MAN” is rare. I remember how much I was in aw when Ed was telling us the story of the Jackshaw Z-11 in Russes trailer at 42 dragway. Randy this is truly an interesting excursion you have taken on. Looking forward to this pursuit of happiness. Good luck and I hope you find the information you’re looking for. There is a big family on this forum that knows a lot about these cars, I only hope they’re willing to share the knowledge because once it’s gone it’s lost forever. I love it when Pat, Russ, and Dennis and others tell the stories behind their passion. It’s the little known facts that make a story. It’s funny how someone’s memory can recall a little known fact that is irrelevant to most but means the world to others.
I learned a long time ago to never give someone the power to embarrass me or offend me, they don’t have that power over me…
The truth is the only thing you don’t have to explain. It might not always be pretty or good, but it is what it is.
I truly cherish the people that are on this forum, I only wish I had pursued this many decades sooner. I’ve met a lot of people and they have helped me out or I would not be able to pursue this passion I have developed. It 100% would not be possible without the help and guidance from the wonderful people that make up this forum…
Good Luck Randy:good

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:brow:munch:pop:coffee This is truly entertaining and fascinating. The fact you actually get to speak to the “MAN” is rare. I remember how much I was in aw when Ed was telling us the story of the Jackshaw Z-11 in Russes trailer at 42 dragway. Randy this is truly an interesting excursion you have taken on. Looking forward to this pursuit of happiness. Good luck and I hope you find the information you’re looking for. There is a big family on this forum that knows a lot about these cars, I only hope they’re willing to share the knowledge because once it’s gone it’s lost forever. I love it when Pat, Russ, and Dennis and others tell the stories behind their passion. It’s the little known facts that make a story. It’s funny how someone’s memory can recall a little known fact that is irrelevant to most but means the world to others.
I learned a long time ago to never give someone the power to embarrass me or offend me, they don’t have that power over me…
The truth is the only thing you don’t have to explain. It might not always be pretty or good, but it is what it is.
I truly cherish the people that are on this forum, I only wish I had pursued this many decades sooner. I’ve met a lot of people and they have helped me out or I would not be able to pursue this passion I have developed. It 100% would not be possible without the help and guidance from the wonderful people that make up this forum…
Good Luck Randy:good
Thanks buddy! So when I was 16 years old and drove my Impala to my first Iowa Heartland Chevy's Club get together at Dean and Hazel Salyers house in Prairie City Iowa. In the early 90's Dean was the president and his wife put up with it. ;) LOL! I pulled up to their house and was instantly surrounded by 30 people asking me a million questions about my car and where my dad was as if it were his car. I told them I joined the club myself to learn from those who were doing what I wanted to do. They were shocked a freshman in high school wanted to learn all about full size 60's Impalas and clearly I was determined. They went over every inch of my car and told me what was important and what didn't matter, where to start and what to forget about. What they didn't do is keep useful information away from me.
Times have changed because now that I'm snooping around the Z11 world with an eye to save 1/50th of its history for everyone to see and enjoy, a very small number of bad apples are creating a poor reflection of everyone else. If I would have been treated like this back when I was 16 I would have :finger2 and tossed a Honda 4 cylinder or diesel engine in my car and would have made it a point to show up to every public meet I could to challenge them to a race. I would probably create a period correct looking paint scheme with large text saying something like "Middle Finger Chevrolet" My team logo on our shirts would be this guy :finger2. :lmao.
I'm not 16 anymore and clearly there are countless cool people on this forum who have gone above and beyond not just for me but for others on a daily basis. The bad apples know who I am and what I'm specifically looking for and at least two of them are purposely avoiding me so far.
Best case scenario is they contact me privately and I don't have to take further action and no one else ever finds out who they are or have to explain themselves. The key to is problem is NO ONE EVER THOUGHT some Iowa boy might want to keep the rare/interesting piece of Iowa automotive history alive and come looking for what they took. Just with me bringing attention to this build means at some point these individuals will have to decide if they burn the documents or admit to taking them from Vincent.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tooth, I forgot to mention. I'm very very lucky Vincent was so young when he went "to GM to help sell cars". ANYONE have a list of ages for the 50 drivers of the Z11's? Vincent is only 83 now. Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins was 9 years older than Vincent. If we look at the months they were born it could be a full 10 years difference in age. Bill would be 92 this year I think. Who was the youngest Z11 driver/owner?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Probably Butch Leal. I think he was only 17 or 18 when he was racing his Z11. Yeah I think you're right, pretty sure the Grump was born in 1930. 91, 92, somewhere in there.
I think I worded that wrong. Anyone could have driven a Z11 at any age as far as I know. Maybe the difference was Vincent was OWNER/Driver. Anyone could have tossed some hotshot kid in the car and let them run it down the track. Vincent was lucky enough to have a successful plumbing business to pay for racing.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Radio delete plate found! One more step closer to building this Tribute to Vincent Fiala's "Bad News". Its even the one my car was born with! I swore up and down (memory not perfect form when I was 15 years old) that my 1963 Impala I have had for 30 years was born a radio delete car from the factory. Today I brought my 63' Impala home and found the radio delete plate in the glove box. Some of you may have no idea how hard it is to find a 1963 standard Impala radio delete plate, its hard. I have been searching for more than a year seriously and nearly bought a complete car a month ago because it had a radio delete plate. All I had to do is look in the glove box of my own car to find the very very rare piece. So now the one thing I couldn't get my hands on has been safe and sound in my very own glove box. I think I should have checked sooner. :doh
I'm going to get it cleaned up and store it in my safe deposit box. LOL!
20211026_213935.jpg

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is this special because it looks like a trim piece? I think I have some of these I have scavenged from cars years ago but all were painted as best as I remember. So they must have been Biscayne or Belair? Buying an Impala without a radio would be like going to the store for a dozen eggs and just getting 6 because you were too tight!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is this special because it looks like a trim piece? I think I have some of these I have scavenged from cars years ago but all were painted as best as I remember. So they must have been Biscayne or Belair? Buying an Impala without a radio would be like going to the store for a dozen eggs and just getting 6 because you were too tight!
So over the past year I have found 1 for sale and its long gone. Most people don't know the Belair/Biscayne cars (same for 63-64) are just a piece of metal painted the same as the dash. Then the 1963 SS has a machine spun finish making the standard Impala its own finish to match the rest of the standard Impala dash. I have 3 Belair radio delete plates (one for each Belair I have). I was offered half a dozen SS delete plates. Keep in mind getting 6 eggs is lighter than a dozen making the Z11 that much lighter. In my case, my 63 Impala 2dr hard top was a stylish 3spd on the tree and 6 cylinder car with a heater. Probably spent most of its life going to church. Now its going to be built to raise hell.
:burnout

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It hasn't been seen since early 1964 when Vincent sold it off. No name or location available unless that folder of information comes forward. I'm hunting some back channels to see if I can track it down the old fashioned way. Research.
If you can locate a VIN number you may be able to do a title search and see who's hands it passed through.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
JC Whitney in Chicago sold glass fenders and other parts back in the day. I have a pair, not sure of the brand, on a car I bought in Iowa over 30 years ago. Also picked up a 64 deck lid that I saw at at least 20 swap meets. I doubt if I'd ever use it. I think those glass fenders may have been heavier than the steel ones.
Looks like a solid car. Good place to start.