Vincent Fiala Z11 tribute "Bad News" build.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
JC Whitney in Chicago sold glass fenders and other parts back in the day. I have a pair, not sure of the brand, on a car I bought in Iowa over 30 years ago. Also picked up a 64 deck lid that I saw at at least 20 swap meets. I doubt if I'd ever use it. I think those glass fenders may have been heavier than the steel ones.
My fiberglass fenders are way lighter then my metal ones. I'll bust out the scale tomorrow and see by how much.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
JC Whitney in Chicago sold glass fenders and other parts back in the day. I have a pair, not sure of the brand, on a car I bought in Iowa over 30 years ago. Also picked up a 64 deck lid that I saw at at least 20 swap meets. I doubt if I'd ever use it. I think those glass fenders may have been heavier than the steel ones.[/QUOTE

I think it was Dan(Ishiftem) said the same thing about the weight of the fenders…..I can remember wanting to buy them when I saw them advertised in the JC Whitney catalog

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Midnight and I just weighed both Fiberglass and metal fenders. Fiberglass is 12.2lbs. Factory metal with (no bondo) 27.8. So the total for my two fiberglass fenders is 24.4lbs and the total for both metal fenders is 55.6lbs making a difference of 31.2lbs. That is a bunch of weight! :browMy fiberglass fenders are made to bolt on just like factory so the weights should be pretty accurate.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Midnight and I just weighed both Fiberglass and metal fenders. Fiberglass is 12.2lbs. Factory metal with (no bondo) 27.8. So the total for my two fiberglass fenders is 24.4lbs and the total for both metal fenders is 55.6lbs making a difference of 31.2lbs. That is a bunch of weight! :browMy fiberglass fenders are made to bolt on just like factory so the weights should be pretty accurate.
Where did you get your fiberglass fenders and how nice are they? Price? My 63 “ Pepper grinder“ might be interested in a pair.:brow

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Where did you get your fiberglass fenders and how nice are they? Price? My 63 “ Pepper grinder“ might be interested in a pair.:brow
You find me some Aluminum Z11 fenders and I'll trade you these fiber glass ones. Found them online down in Kentucky. Guy building a vintage show car had these fenders brand new come with the car. The previous owner of the show car thought he was going to build a drag car but never took the fenders out of the box. These have never been mounted but they are essential to my Z11 tribute build. 20210802_131548.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you look close in the pictures you can see the tabs I will need to drill to put bolts through and you can also see the reinforcements in the fiberglass itself. The things are really nice and I totally lucked out. Finding them a week before I bought the aluminum Z11 hood. Thankfully I was smart enough to save the location/contact information for the fiberglass fenders. Called the guy and sent him the money as fast as I could. My build schedule did a flip flop for the next 2 years though. The 1963 that had been at the back of the line jumped over a couple other cars, not complaining though, feel very very lucky. The wagon will still get interior and new motor and trans put in but the 63' is getting more attention then it has seen in 30 years. I actually feel like I'm a 16 year old punk with his first car and big dreams for his ride. I can actually build it now like I have always dreamed. Very exciting!
20210801_203603.jpg
20210801_203534.jpg
20210801_203522.jpg

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Barry has me thinking about Z11 spring rates. Just curious as to the proper spring for the front of the Z11 with the light weight front end. 6cyl springs maybe? Most of the vintage 1963 photos I have seen of the Z11 cars before they made it to far into the racing season has them setting pretty level. It also seems most of the restorations have them setting pretty level. Also what about the rear spring rates. Any part numbers/brands I should consider for my build?

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Barry has me thinking about Z11 spring rates. Just curious as to the proper spring for the front of the Z11 with the light weight front end. 6cyl springs maybe? Most of the vintage 1963 photos I have seen of the Z11 cars before they made it to far into the racing season has them setting pretty level. It also seems most of the restorations have them setting pretty level. Also what about the rear spring rates. Any part numbers/brands I should consider for my build?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone know the actual spring rate the factory Z11 cars had? Were they a different rate then the other factory selections? I don't have a chart for any cross reference numbers.