Adjustable upper control arms

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Rear Suspension Set-up

To all,
On Wully Bully, we lowered the front lower mounts, so that the lower arms are essentially level. We also have upper frame brackets that have multiple holes. On the rear-end housing, we have stock location holes, and holes further up. All of these locations we have plotted into a great computer program I bought, which plots out the instant center. We ran Wully Bully for years, with very poor consistency on 60' times before we knew about and bought this program. After learning what we did wrong, we re-engineered the suspension as described above, and now produce consistent 60' times of 1.40-1.42, on 10.5" tires. I have used this same program to offer advice to Carl's set-up on Wully Bully II, which does 60' times of 1.29-1.32, and also Ray (Dynoray) and Aubrey. I will be glad to offer any insight to others, but it takes me time to do it. As far as pinion angle, exactly as Fatride said, you only want enough to equal the movement (twisting) of the rear on launch, so that it equals 0 degrees. We run more in Wully Bully than in Wully Bully II, because II has a more modern four link, that allows less twisting of the rear housing.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the information Steve. How much (-) pinion angle do you run on your car? I am not sure how to determine the correct at rest pinion angle. I've been told to start with -2 degrees and go from there.

Paul

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
To all,
On Wully Bully, we lowered the front lower mounts, so that the lower arms are essentially level. We also have upper frame brackets that have multiple holes. On the rear-end housing, we have stock location holes, and holes further up. All of these locations we have plotted into a great computer program I bought, which plots out the instant center. We ran Wully Bully for years, with very poor consistency on 60' times before we knew about and bought this program. After learning what we did wrong, we re-engineered the suspension as described above, and now produce consistent 60' times of 1.40-1.42, on 10.5" tires. I have used this same program to offer advice to Carl's set-up on Wully Bully II, which does 60' times of 1.29-1.32, and also Ray (Dynoray) and Aubrey. I will be glad to offer any insight to others, but it takes me time to do it. As far as pinion angle, exactly as Fatride said, you only want enough to equal the movement (twisting) of the rear on launch, so that it equals 0 degrees. We run more in Wully Bully than in Wully Bully II, because II has a more modern four link, that allows less twisting of the rear housing.

Steve, thank you for sharing this invaluable information. Your cars are awesome. :bow :beerbang

Carl.

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Pinion angle

Paul,
We run -7 degrees on the sedan (Wully Bully), but that is measured as the difference between the driveshaft and the pinion. The driveshaft is about 3 degrees, and the pinion is around -4, so it gives a total of -7. I would have to recheck for exact measurements, so these are the best I remember. You want to have the car at 'race-ready' condition, tires at launch psi, weight of the driver in the seat, front-end at launch height, etc., as all these things will affect the angle. Then you have to squeeze under to measure.
Steven

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
To all,

Steve, I thought about moving the lower mounts but figured that would lower the rear of the car because that's where the spring sets? :dunno How did you make up the difference? Is this for race only? How would this work on a street/strip car?

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Models, It shouldn't matter whether it is one piece or two, as you are measuring the angle right in front of the u-joint at the pinion.
Ray, I don't think it would affect the ride height much, since the spring is at the opposite end of the change. I can tell you that the sedan sits slightly nose low, with the rear rims completely exposed in the wheelwell sitting still. We run stock 6 cylinder springs in the rear, with adjustable shocks. The car could be very streetable, as far as suspension, depending on the shock settings.
Steven

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Steves posts with the rear suspension information should be preserved with a sticky, I have been searching for this information for a long time. Thank you Steven

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Panhard relocater

http://www.classicchevywarehouse.co...panhard-rod-relocation-bracket/phc-84bkt.html

Anti-squat

The little bracket in the middle is available seperately. Anti squat brackett, I think its around $65.

http://www.classicchevywarehouse.co...gh-performance-rear-suspension/rsk-gplus.html

Thank God I have the tools to make everything but the springs

14.gif

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I hear ya Ray!! Made many a toll in the shop with "Just For" use:D

Now a stupid question: What do you call the adjuster you use inbetween the tubes so you can move the tubes in and out:dunno
I know it has left and right hand threads on each end and a nut in the center but that does me no good on the searchs:eek:

thanks

Mike

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I hear ya Ray!! Made many a toll in the shop with "Just For" use:D

Now a stupid question: What do you call the adjuster you use inbetween the tubes so you can move the tubes in and out:dunno
I know it has left and right hand threads on each end and a nut in the center but that does me no good on the searchs:eek:

thanks

Mike

Hey Mike, you don't really move the tubes in and out, you move the tube to move the threaded rod in and out! Weld the left and right treaded insert at each end of the rod, add jamb nuts and turn the rod to adjust. Here is a picture of what mine will not look like. :stooges

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...=10002&productId=764312&langId=-1&showValue=3

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well the things do hold up pretty well on the farm:D Same principle..kinda:roll

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A little sloppy though :rolleyes:

Actualy no in this case. The ends are grade 8 heims with teflon centers. And since the stock arms are 13 3/4 center to center and these go below 13 1/2 there's enough there to adjust the pinion. hmmmmm. :D
The only thing is that these are straight vs curved..does that matter??