1962 Chevy Impala 409

1962_Impala

Hello everyone! I’m new to this site and I was looking to get more info on my 1962 Chevy Impala. It is a SS tribute car with the 1962 409 motor. Was told motor was gone through completely about 6k miles ago. Body is great shape rust wise with only 1 or 2 spots it bubbled just a little. 4 speed manual. I’d just like to get a value and more info on them before I buy it! Anything will help.

Attachments

• ACC960D8-B4E2-402A-85B9-D8352B5D2A8D.jpeg
    ACC960D8-B4E2-402A-85B9-D8352B5D2A8D.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 065E8636-90E4-4CC6-A16F-47F651413BAB.jpeg
    065E8636-90E4-4CC6-A16F-47F651413BAB.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 8855797D-BDB1-447D-AF23-72A23A5710FB.jpeg
    8855797D-BDB1-447D-AF23-72A23A5710FB.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

QB62

Supporting Member 3
I just bought my '62 Impala 409 last December. You've come to the right place to get info from the many very knowledgeable people on this site.

Attachments

• Drivers Side.JPG
    Drivers Side.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Inside(SeatShifterDash).JPG
    Inside(SeatShifterDash).JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 34

1962_Impala

I just bought my '62 Impala 409 last December. You've come to the right place to get info from the many very knowledgeable people on this site.
Nice car by the way! If you don’t mind me asking, what’d you have to give for that? Don’t have to tell if you don’t want just wondering.

QB62

Supporting Member 3
Beyond the standard answer of 'They're worth what someone will pay you', when I was looking for mine (Aug - Dec 2018), I regularly checked the for sale listings from a number of sites (Hemmings; ClassicCars; etc.). I was looking for a basically stock '62 Impala, or SS, with a 409/409, restored or very good original. Prices were generally in the $50,000 to $70,000 range, with the odd one way out there in the $80's and $90's. I'm located in Canada, so it was not real convenient for me to personally get to see the cars I was interested in, so I hired appraisers to do pre-purchase inspections for me on 3 occasions. Based on their reports I flew to NC and MA to look at cars and ultimately managed to buy one at the lower end of the range I mentioned above. Hope that helps.
I'm sure many on this site are much more knowledgeable than I am.

Attachments

• Motor.JPG
    Motor.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 40

1962_Impala

Beyond the standard answer of 'They're worth what someone will pay you', when I was looking for mine (Aug - Dec 2018), I regularly checked the for sale listings from a number of sites (Hemmings; ClassicCars; etc.). I was looking for a basically stock '62 Impala, or SS, with a 409/409, restored or very good original. Prices were generally in the $50,000 to $70,000 range, with the odd one way out there in the $80's and $90's. I'm located in Canada, so it was not real convenient for me to personally get to see the cars I was interested in, so I hired appraisers to do pre-purchase inspections for me on 3 occasions. Based on their reports I flew to NC and MA to look at cars and ultimately managed to buy one at the lower end of the range I mentioned above. Hope that helps.
I'm sure many on this site are much more knowledgeable than I am.
Okay. What should I look for when buying one?

QB62

Supporting Member 3
Your question about what you should look for really needs a response/input from the knowledgeable people here. I often have a tendency to buy with my heart, not my head, which is not always the smartest way to go.
As a start,imho, you need to decide what you want - a driver; a show car; for racing; etc? Depending on the level of originality you want, you will want to check the vin and trim/cowl tags. Racing versus highway travel may influence your choice of transmissions and rear ends. All of this is, of course, after you are comfortable with the quality of the body, frame, etc.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd say the one you're looking at is ok just make sure it's a 409. The only way is to verify the block casting number. Write the casting number down and come back and look it up on this site

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Just the casting number,but if you can get both,it might tell us if it's a car or truck block.

1962_Impala

Just the casting number,but if you can get both,it might tell us if it's a car or truck block.
I searched the casting number and it is a QB Block, and it said it was a car motor. Is that right? Is there anyway this wouldn’t be a 409 motor? Dipstick is on the passenger side when looking directly at motor, right side when sitting in the car

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The casting number is on the drivers side at the rear of the block. The QB stamping,indicates a car block,but there have been people who restamp these blocks.The dipstick is mounted in the pan and a 348 and 409 pan are almost an even swap.Post the casting number.

1962_Impala

The casting number is on the drivers side at the rear of the block. The QB stamping,indicates a car block,but there have been people who restamp these blocks.The dipstick is mounted in the pan and a 348 and 409 pan are almost an even swap.Post the casting number.
Why should I post the casting number? Just wondering

1962_Impala

So you think it’s possible it’s not a 409?