2013 West Coast Shoot Out, Dedicated to Dave Smith

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Every thing is still a go.
Bill, that is awful nice of you to think of that. The family will appreciate that you and other members here thought so much of Dave.
I'm going to Woodburn Dragstrip for the Oldies But Goodies this weekend and Joel is coming up to try his new Jack Gibbs engine. this should be fun.
Paul

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Have not gotten home from Thompson??? You and Linda must be having a good time:bow

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ron, we are just North of you in Glacier. Heading out on Sunday, but the closest we get is Butte to you ! Have to be home on Wednesday, running out of drugs !!

Bill

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Ron, we are just North of you in Glacier.

Bill
Bill.........that's my favorite 26 miles on the North American continent.........Logan's Pass.. Road to the Sun Highway!!! It is absolutely stunning!!!!

You said you were running out of drugs. Is this a mediacl concern or are running out selling some for gas money??????????????:laugh:laugh:laugh

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I see in the news, the Going-to-the-Sun Highway opened all the way today, all 50 miles. They finished clearing the snow. Probably a little cool on top yet.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Phil, haven't gone CLEAR OVER the edge yet !!!!! We made the drive to the Sun today, what a great drive, I'll post some pictures after while, if the YiFi will let me.

Ron, they opened it up, but there is some contruction, and the TOAD, got really dirty !!!!

Bill

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member

My car is together & running. I went to Woodburn, OR last weekend to meet up with the west coast crew. Great nostalgic event. Friday night was good & my first run with the new engine was 12.43 & 114 MPH, scared the crap out of me, was not expecting that much power. 2 more runs 12.47 & 12.53 top MPH 115.57 had to shake the brown stuff out of my shorts. :roll Saturday not so good, 1st run & my trans locked up, no 1st gear. So we pushed the car back on the trailer(sure am getting tired of that). :crazy Car in the shop & hope to pull the trans this week & find out what happened. :dunno Also need another rear upper control arm on the drivers side to help straighten the car out on take off & shifting. Hopefully get everything done in time for Iowa & then off to Eureka. See you all soon.

Joel​

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Joel's first pass that Friday night was wild. He was left then right then left again but he kept his foot in it. When he brought her back to the pits he had a huge grin on his face breathing hard and his whole body trembling.
I hope the tranny is going to be ok. I can't wait to race you in Eureka after you've got everything dialed in.

Paul

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey Joel, how about a few details on what you and Jack came up with??? Sounds like it was worth the effort!
dc

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Nice work Joel, wish I could have made it, you would think that only 20 miles from Woodburn I could have been there! later Pat:clap

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Send my block off to Jack & he did his magic. He put his stroker kit in it, 40 over Ross pistions & a Isky roller. Assembled all the bottom end stuff & sent it back to me. We completed the assembly at the speed shop. Added a set of eldebrock heads for a hydraulic cam, used my original intake & carbs & HEI distributer. That's about it, sure runs strong. Now all we need to do it get the trans & suspension right & back to the races. Soon I hope.:pray

Joel

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Joel,

You were faster than me last year on 6 cyc. Cant wait to watch you go this year !

Bill

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks, Joel, that gets us all fired up for August. I'm going to have to get my "little motor" running a little better to keep up with you guys. I'm pretty sure my driver is just average!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I had a good talk with Ken Smith this evening. He is still planning to attend, with his wife, son, and daughter-in-law. They will be driving the 61 down and plan to spent some time on the Oregon coast along the way. He sounds excited about attending and is looking forward to meeting and visiting with everyone. Hope we can get a few more people to attend this year and make the first Dave Smith Memorial 348-409 Shootout a very special event.

Bill

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Pulled the trans & the slider for 1 &2 was all burred up & the shift fork broke. Easy fix, now back in the car, Waiting for some additional suspension parts so I can go straight down the strip. Hopefully back together for a T&T on Wednesday & the graffiti drags at RMR on Friday night. That will be the test to be sure everything holds together before I leave for Iowa.

Since I need to replace the 2 piece drive shaft what are the pros & cons to an alum. driveshaft.:dunno Thanks

Joel