348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION NO. 2

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well I hope that I can catch up with as many of you as i can on my travels over June / July when i'm there.:happyI already have a few on the hit list to visit, which is great and thank you to those who are accomodating.

Cheers
Gav

Gav..................you and your "group" will have free lodging if you come thru Kansas City!!!! We have 3 spare bedrooms now and a lot of room to park a motorhome if you'll be driving one of those. We'll even treat you to some Kansas City bar-b-que!!!!! Put us on your list!!!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Man this is shaping up to be awsome. I cant wait

Ray. If we bring a chair can we sit outside your bar and people watch?

I think the room will be full

Steve
This is starting to sound like cocktail hour at the boat launch...:roll

Last edited:

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I just finished booking my room for Sept. We're at the Best Western for the 25th thru the 29th. I asked the little gal if they were about full yet. She got her paper out and said that I was the 30th reservation made out of the 50 available. So, I don't think that I would wait too long to call- you might be out of luck!!!!!!! Getting excited and it's still 8 months away! As the old song goes"See you in September". Mike

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What do y'all drink, I'll lay in some supply's?
Cant tell you yet Ray
We are going through Tennessee so my dad and My wife can get some Bourbon (not even sure if you can buy it there) but it will be one more thing off the bucket list, Memphis, Nashville, Evansville (seeing as we are Evans's has to be done) bowling green KY, trying beers all the way but the only USA beers we get here are Bud and Miller, i drink larger or lighter beers so we will i guess be trying them as we travel to find out what we like.
We will no doubt have a supply but will try anything i guess:beer:idea

Still planning the first part of our journey and as soon as i get it sort of finalised i will post it so if anyone is close to where we are traveling we would love to call in

Would like to meet this bloke called BoB but im not sure if anyone has actually met him:laugh
He could actually be computer generated and not actually real:hug
Cant wait for this
Steve

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Fellas,

Just made my reservation at Best Western too; on line. Now all I need to do is put the car back together, buy a trailer and bring some "morgita" for parts!!!!

Sean:cheers

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gav..................you and your "group" will have free lodging if you come thru Kansas City!!!! We have 3 spare bedrooms now and a lot of room to park a motorhome if you'll be driving one of those. We'll even treat you to some Kansas City bar-b-que!!!!! Put us on your list!!!
Cheers for that Phil. Yes the wife and I (yep just the two of us) are planning on heading through Kansas and would be great to call in thank you.
Can you PM me with your contact details please.
No motor home, looking for something like a chevy suburban to throw a mattress in the back then off we go.

Thanks
Gav

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Steve, Are you going to be in Washington or Oregon?
Hi Dan.
Havent planned the trip after the weekend after the convention yet. Looking at that in the next week or so. Need to leave the rv in LA. So need to plan that.
Will let you know.
Steve

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have a lot if info to pass on but just heard this evening...that portions of our presentation to the City Council Monday night were recorded. If you want to hear...go to www.greatbendpost.com. That's the Great Bend newspaper. On the main page...click on Menu. Then click on Great Bend News. Go to the bottom of the first page and click on Next Page. Right now we are at the top of the second page...click on SRCA Drag Strip. You can click on the audio for Hank Denning who is President of SRCA and then me if you want for about a 30 second clip. I knew the meeting was taped but not for this reason. Hank said today he got a call from KSN TV in Wichita, from this recording, for an interview! We're on our way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a direct link. http://www.greatbendpost.com/2014/0...hrough-last-year-but-has-high-hopes-for-2014/

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We now have 2 Host Hotels. A single hotel in Great Bend can't handle 200 of us so this is what I came up with.

Host Hotel #1: The Angus Inn Best Western. We currently have a block of 50 rooms. They have a lot of construction workers who stay there all week and have to have rooms for them. Depending...our block may be increased to 65 later. This is not promised so it would be best to get your reservation as soon as possible.
Angus Inn
2920 10th street
Great Bend, KS 67530
1-800-862-6487 This rings directly to the hotel..it is not a national reservation number.
bw2angus@bwangus.com is a website you can go to to see the virtual tour of the rooms if you wish.
This hotel does not have a complimentary breakfast like some do. The rooms in the front half of the hotel have exterior doors. The rooms are a little smaller than the other rooms but are very clean and nice. The rooms in the back half are all interior door rooms that open into a large atrium with tons of tables and chairs for "hanging out". Our rooms are in this section. East of the hotel, the Angus Inn has a 1/2 block paved area for truck parking that belongs to the Inn and a perfect place for trucks and trailers. On the west parking lot is a Perkins Restaurant for eating and The Page...a sports bar. I ate there Mon. evening and they have tons of sports memorabilia hanging on the walls. I tried to get permission to take a Mickey Mantle poster with me but couldn't get that handled!!
Prices...Exterior rooms 2 doubles or 1 king 1-4 adults $69.95 plus tax
Interior rooms 2 queens or 1 king 1-4 adults $74.95 plus tax.

Hotel #2: Comfort Inn. That's what Candy & I use a lot. We currently have a block of 30 rooms. Comfort Inn does have the complimentary breakfast every morning.
Great Bend Comfort Inn
911 Grant Street
Great Bend, KS 67530
1-620-603-6326 local number
Their rooms are $79.99 for a single queen or $87.99 for a double queen. The Comfort Inn has a cutoff date for these prices of Aug. 1, 2014

I was unsure of what to use for a code when you make your reservations but after much thought.......decided to pick 348-409 National Convention!!!!!!!!!!:bow:bow:clap:clap

If you will go the the SRCA Drag Strip website, www.srcadragstrip.com and click on lodging...they list every motel within a 60 mile radius.

I believe that's it for hotel information. If I've let anything out or if you have any questions...drop me a line.

Phil Posted this accommodation information Wednesday at 6:59 ("My Time" Pacific) and all 50 rooms at the Best Western were booked in 60 hours...:cheers There are 30 rooms at the Comfort Inn and I can't imagine those lasting long at this rate...:pop I will admit I was kind of on the fence with the distance, time frame, and, expense but, Phil pushed me off...:browThis is going to be great event that every W fan will not want to miss...:deal Thanks Phil...:bow

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Dan.
Havent planned the trip after the weekend after the convention yet. Looking at that in the next week or so. Need to leave the rv in LA. So need to plan that.
Will let you know.
Steve
If you do get up this way would love to show you around.