348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION NO. 2

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think I found it! :deal
Tripower's map shows the location on B29 way but there's another section of B29 way to the Northwest of that location. (just on the Northern edge of the airport)
I'll put a link to the map and if it works, look for "Big Bend Bike Rally" If you zoom in on that, then go to the satellite view, it sure looks like a dragstrip.

EDIT... I think I've got the right link, just zoom in on the "A"

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Great Bend Expo Complex, W. Barton County Road&ie=UTF-8&ei=pIPUUsnCDIngqQGrmYCQCQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Last edited:

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The lay of the land!

Here's Great Bend KS

The track is just a little west of town and the two Hotels are on the main drag through town.

Here's how the track is laid out.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Dick. Okay so I know the racers are going to be in the pits but were does everyone else park that are not racing?

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Lots of parking between the road where I wrote "Convention Center buildings" and the track. There are grandstands on that side of the track and also to the left of the starting line on the pit side of the track. Also, crossing the staging lanes is very easy.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess those areas would be for spectator parking what about the other "W" cars that won't be racing? Is there a special place for those cars?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Where's the camping? How many are camping? I will be pulling my car with the same rig that I used for Thompson, maybe an in closed trailer though. Need to know how this will be handled? At Thompson we camped next to our cars in the pits. Anyone know what we're going to do here?

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good question. Myself and Jim will be coming with the 40ft motorhome and the 26ft stacker trailer with the 55 and the 61 and maybe the 62 convertible.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Where's the camping? How many are camping? I will be pulling my car with the same rig that I used for Thompson, maybe an in closed trailer though. Need to know how this will be handled? At Thompson we camped next to our cars in the pits. Anyone know what we're going to do here?
Good question. Myself and Jim will be coming with the 40ft motorhome and the 26ft stacker trailer with the 55 and the 61 and maybe the 62 convertible.

That why I thought it would be good to post a map of the facility showing the Entrance/Exit, Camping, Show Car Parking, Spectator Parking. Then we could kind of plan out where we want to be on the grounds. I have a room booked now but I may want to camp.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I guess those areas would be for spectator parking what about the other "W" cars that won't be racing? Is there a special place for those cars?

Phil will have to answer these questions Dan but I'm sure he has made arrangements for the guys with 348 & 409 car to get access to the facility. In fact, remember, he has invited all late 50s and early 60s Chevys regardless of engine to this event.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9

Is your rig more then 150' long Ray? :roll If it is you may be asked to park diagonally! :coffee

Again Phil will lay out the locations for all this but keep this in mind. The horizontal area shown as pits continues out of the picture to the left. This is an old airport runaway that is 6,200 feet west to east and 150 feet wide south to north. It's all paved concrete. There is plenty of space for campers. Thompson's entire pit area would fit in the space east of the national guard armory. No one will need to pit in grass or dirt here.

GreatBendRaceway2_zps38ecb5bc.jpg

Last but not least, I don't make decisions I'm just trying to help out with what I've seen.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dan...this is where this race will be different than say Thompson or CA. We will not be able to be all in one place. Part of the club's revenue is they sell their pit stalls on a yearly basis. That way the local racers know exactly where they will pit every race. It's a revenue thing for the club. Most of us with cars and trailers will be at the west end of pit road. That's south of the race track. I'll find out about the camping. I know when Dick & I were at the race in Aug., racers were in their motor homes on pit road. I imagine the camping up by the entrance will be for campers who do not bring trailers. The President of SRCA and one of his Board members will be at my shop either Fri. or Sat. and I will ask them.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We plan go bring Ms Bela on a trailer behind the MH we had at Thompson and CA. Will stay at tbe track if that is possible ?

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
I will also be in my MH pulling the racecar, staying in the pits. I'm sure there will be room but since SCRA sells pit stalls maybe we should get a count of MH's from our group. Steve Gregory will be attending (if all goes as planned) from Oregon and he well be traveling via MH too.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Glad you're coming Paul...you'll be a 2 Timer since you were here in 2004!!!! Getting a count will not help any as we get any of the unreserved spaces.
But it would be nice to get an idea of who all is coming!!

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim Kwiatowski used to be good at keeping a list of who was attending and if they were bringing race car or show car or no car, but it says he hasn't been on since March 4th, 2013. Hope all is well with him.