'58 - 348 Tri Power

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Great news! Be sure to post what your planned build is before you spend money on parts.Parts like pistons,cams,and valves can make a big difference in the performance and reliability of that engine.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Great news! Be sure to post what your planned build is before you spend money on parts.Parts like pistons,cams,and valves can make a big difference in the performance and reliability of that engine.

I will definitely make sure to get the work order list from the shop. I also have your template parts list which I printed and will submit.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks for the update, glad to learn things arrived as shipped :).

Hope you are able to use those head gaskets, if not, pass them along to someone who needs them :).

Keep us posted as your build continues!

TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
"Pretty nice packaging there Tom."

I took notes on the boxes Pat Lobb sent me to ship some heads :).

I had a long 1" by 12" that I cut into six sections and then screwed together. Was concerned with possible box breakage so I braced the corners with angle brackets. That and a lot of foam padding around the intake/carbs. I was wondering if the head gaskets would make it up top, I guess they came out OK.

Best, TomK

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Hi there,
It's been a while but here are some pics of my 348.
The intake has been chrome nitrate coated and can sustain extreme heat. Not using the cross over...
dZLmn9I.jpg

Here are the breathers:
lSUopdp.jpg

wMgW8rY.jpg
JpKtXki.jpg

Mock up of the covers and intake, while waiting on chrome timing cover and carb rebuild...
K5KLimQ.jpg
I0XYkCj.jpg

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
37,looks like you used the 791 heads on the undrilled block,what valve springs and retainers did you use on the heads and what installed height?

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Great looking project!°°!!!!!
Don Jack's is going to tell you those small air cleaner are junk!!!!

No I'm not! I also happen to know a bit about this build.iIt's those little "Bell" shaped air cleaners that cause a problem on anything bigger than a Ford flathead with Stromberg carbs.

:laugh4:laugh4:laugh4
Don, you did give me the lecture on the bell shaped breathers. lol
This is why I got these!
I'll be using three Rochester carbs.

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
37,looks like you used the 791 heads on the undrilled block,what valve springs and retainers did you use on the heads and what installed height?

Yes 791 heads on the later 872 block. I'll have to ask re: valve springs + retainer and height