'58 - 348 Tri Power

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That's a great build. I hope it was just a typo on your using three 2GC's? You can use the small air cleaners with cotton filters, paper is way to restrictive. Tons of information here if you run into issues.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
That's a great build. I hope it was just a typo on your using three 2GC's? You can use the small air cleaners with cotton filters, paper is way to restrictive. Tons of information here if you run into issues.

Thank you sir! yea three Rochester carbs :)
Yes, Don was an amazing coach. And I bought my tri power and carbs from Tom.
Ultimately, the motor went to a recommended pro shop. We used the info Don provided and left the rest to the expertise of the mechanic there. He did a wonderful job.
I cannot wait to hear this thing!!!

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Unless the three twos are correct and not just three 2GC's the engine will not function properly. End carbs on a correct three two setup are different from the center carb. Maybe you have addressed this already, I didn't read this thread from the beginning.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Unless the three twos are correct and not just three 2GC's the engine will not function properly. End carbs on a correct three two setup are different from the center carb. Maybe you have addressed this already, I didn't read this thread from the beginning.

Yes they are different! I bought the intake manifold with the carbs already mounted on it from Tom here on the forum. He took good care of me and did a most incredible job building a crate to ship it all to me here in Canada :bow

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yes they are different! I bought the intake manifold with the carbs already mounted on it from Tom here on the forum. He took good care of me and did a most incredible job building a crate to ship it all to me here in Canada :bow
Just so you know, the C in the 2GC stands for choke. On the original setup the center carb is a 2GC, the end carbs are 2G's.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Just so you know, the C in the 2GC stands for choke. On the original setup the center carb is a 2GC, the end carbs are 2G's.
I think the French in me is screwing my communicating properly Lol!!! Thank you for the info Fathead still learning. Really sucks to love everty thing mechanical and not know so much.
It's a process :)

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I think the French in me is screwing my communicating properly Lol!!! Thank you for the info Fathead still learning. Really sucks to love everty thing mechanical and not no so much.
It's a process :)
My roots are in Fort Erie Ontario Canada. My grandfather and father were born there. I was born in USA. Spent many summers in Ft. Erie. My uncle was a border patrol agent and worked the Peace Bridge. Back in the 60's all we had to do was mention his name at the border and we were waived through, it was cool.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Fathead, does this "C" also apply to a manual choke in the center carb?
I'm not aware of any stock three two engines that were sold off the showroom floor with manual choke. You may have been able to order that. I would think if fitted with auto or manual choke the center carb would be 2GC. Maybe Cecil would know, that's out of my pay grade.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Question: Is the thermostat housing interchangeable with SBC?
Or do I have to buy 348/409 proprietary one?
Trying to avoid to heavier cost associated with ordering from US (34% extra + shipping) such as this wonderful place where I've had the pleasure to order impossible to find parts :)
https://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=5490
So if it's standard chevy from that year than we have a place up here and it would save me $

Is there a list covering small interchangeable parts other than the one on the site?

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
We are most likely going to loose the choke. He did want to outfit it with an electric choke inside the original housing. I also know what I'm in for without one on cooler days!!! but I don't like the looks of them.
I ran an electric choke with my three two setup. Don't know about the housing, make sure it's clocked correctly.

32chevy348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
:burnoutWhere's my sun glasses? I'm running a 2G with a manual choke . Went to a Halloween cruise yesterday 38 f out and it ran fine but wish the heater worked better.:drive

chuckl

Well Known Member
Truck and marine/industrial engines had the manual chokes and they were designated 2G. The 2GC indicated an integral automatic choke.
Cecil, is there any difference between the truck/marine/industrial 3 X 2 manifolds and between the carbs? My manifold and carbs (supposedly from a 61 engine) had never been separated. All three carbs are different, with the center carb never drilled for an auto choke. Number 3 carb has a 3/16" hole near the top of the throat for some kind of press-in tube. The hole is not threaded but shows evidence of some tube(?) being pressed in., The manifold was painted dull yellow. How were carbs 1 and 3 controlled--vacuum/mechanical? :dunno:read
Chuck

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Chuck,
As far as I know 3x2's were never available with truck or industrial engines but may have been available on marine applications. In all cases I'm pretty sure the correct center carb was choked. The outer carbs were opened by a vacuum diaphragm on the front carb controlled by a slider valve on the center carb. The front and rear carbs were interconnected by a rod.

58 348 engines3.jpg 58 348 engines4.jpg

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Finally back where it belongs and looking quite AWESOME!!!! I must say, better than I thought.
So happy with the result. Can't wait to see chrome headers, firewall and more!!!
3iytNnW.jpg
Q0huSkP.jpg
Q2fSfGS.jpg
pnpdLbC.jpg
ZfxTn9m.jpg
lDntLcm.jpg