'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have owned this car for going on 12 years, with no plans myself...dunno why this was the car I pulled out of the barn but I sure am glad I did...I was just gonna do a interior clean up and rod out the nasty gas tank...it's come a long way since I bought it...now it's the only one on the floor of my shop so it'll get a lot of attention...once the rear is done I'll pull the motor and get serious about how the engine compartment...nothing is more important to me than a finely tuned and clean underhood...I'm rather anal about what I drive...my buddies are calling this car Christine after the red fury movie...they're a bit off like myself

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a question that's been bugging me since I first began to play with the elky...the steel pulley system that routs the emergency brake cable from the pedal back parallel to the floor to the rear cables on my car is dangling from the intact cable...all components of the emergency brake system are new so I'm assuming when the drivers floor pan was replaced it was welded to the original floor and is now dangling...can anyone tell me or post a pic as to where and how it's fastened from the factory...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
it may further back, I'll have to look...it's the one that comes down from the floor actuator in the car...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
yup scott, thats it, thanks...is that frame mounted or floor mounted...it appears to be on the frame...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was under the car last night and my frame mounted roller that has been removed with a 3 pound hammer and a chisel is pretty gnarly and beat up...I'm gonna make a new bracket and either weld or rivet it on the frame when ready...just curious, can anyone tell me what that rod welded on the frame just forward of the roller bracket is, it has a detent or groove cut in it and I can't see what purpose it serves...thanks for the pic scott...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
guess that's why I didn't know...you don't see many column shifted cars nowadays except for the classic restored car...finally got my master bearing set, gears, and posi unit in today...looks like I'll be busy tearing out the old one and setting up the new parts...I'm gonna try stripping the anodized headlight bezel and polishing them , they just look dingy against the rest of the chrome...that accessory bullet bumper imparts a big chrome presence on this car...

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That sounds like fun.
Wish I was closer I would come watch and hand beer and tools. :D

So you should have this going in time for Bowling Green. :good

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I sure could use a hand, c'mon down to the sunshine state...it's gonna be tight...I spend the summers in the mountains of north carolina and don't know how this is gonna work out...jack says at least 2 months before I can expect the motor back, then I have to install and get it all set up to haul to the cabin...I'd have to leave out of there for bowling green because driving home to get it and then up to the track would be a bit much...I've had 4 major surgeries in the last 4 years, my body doesn't like it when I drive all day...my belly has more lines than a roadmap...:zombie

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Well going to the Sunshine state sure sounds like fun.
Not much of a fan of cold weather anymore.
You need to stay away from the doctors....you know they are just practicing.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
spoke to jack gibbs today, the engine is coming along nicely...he's using 340 hp 409 heads with larger valves and cleaning up the ports for me...rear 3.55 gears and posi have arrived so today the rear end has been takes apart to have the bearings pressed for reinstallation...I've decided to use 2.5" truck exhaust manifolds vs. headers, I just like the stock look...cam had a nice lope to it but nothing radical...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I live in plant city bryan, the opposite side of the state...I'm now able to ride my scooter, had 5 stents installed and for the first time in 8 years I can feel my feet...gettin old after riding it hard and putting it up wet has come full circle...