'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
welll I'll be darned, I never looked back there yet...thanks don...I'm assuming the eddy I'm using has a provision for that fitting...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
finally got the pig loaded only to find out there's a bunch of cast iron interfering with the posi unit...took out the cut off wheel and die grinder to clear out the case...I had the bearings pressed at a machine shop...went to pick the axles up only to be told the friction fit collar that holds the axles in was missing from the bearing kit...calls to get a replacement expedited...the previous owner thought it wise to tack weld the collar to the axle...finding all kinds of sins on this car but nothing that can't be worked around...sand blasted the pig so it looks nice...

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Hope you sand blasted it after duh before.
Funny reading your post while I was listening to Tool on YouTube.
If you still have the factory axles you may want to think about a upgrade.
One red flag would be that the guy with the press thinks you need to have a weld holding the bearing retainer sleeve.

Last edited:

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't follow you La, the pig was blasted while empty, not after duh before...not even gonna think about the axles, I've built way too many cars with parts that were never needed, but suited the build...I'll have about 400 hp and don't intend on racing the elky...mebbe a few stop light encounters but nothing crazy...the guy with the press isn't the guy that tack welded the retainers on, the previous owner did that...I popped the retainer today after freezing it...I called ecklers about the bearing retainer yesterday about 2pm and they got it to me along with the free bearing today...sweet service...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
got the pig dialed in with the help of zinc oxide...mesh pattern is spot on...got it with the second set of shims...this week i'll find time to install and finish the back half of this project...then comes the fun part, pulling the engine and refinishing the engine compartment so by the time jack ships my stroker it should be time to drop it in and play...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thanks phil, it's moving in the right direction from what I see...i'm being patient because I don't want to rush jack and end up with a compromised build...he's using the good parts and promises me a shit eatin grin when I drive it...I hope to put the pig in tomorrow after gym...seems vacuuming 4 acres of oak leaves saturday is still making me sore...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Those are 817 heads, correct?

I like the way this is coming together.

If you're not tooooo sore after the gym I've got a vacant lot I need to clear and need all the help I can get :).

Cheers! TomK

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe they are tom, I'm just going with what jack says is gonna make me happy...the heads will far outflow what he's putting together for me...10.6 compression and a nice lope in the cam...factory 2.5" exhaust manifolds...I know these pics wont do much for most of you guys but this is the smog set up on one of my camaros, just took a few pics earlier, may have found a buyer for my '42 3/4 ton pick upIMG_0286.JPGIMG_0287.JPG

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
got the call from jack, he's shipping the motor this week...got the rear end build and am now stripping the engine compartment to bare metal and refinishing it before I install jacks stroker...found the down draft tube waaaay far back there...I've got a question for you experts, when removing the main harness from the firewall there seems to be a male and female socket connector with a piece between them...my question is how do I unfasten them without damaging them as they are pretty brittle...the middle piece seems to surround the union area as to keep it watertight mebbe...I'd like to get it off without damaging the inside parts

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If you want dependability you may want to consider a new one if it is that old.
The 62 has two tabs...one on each side that have to be depressed and are part of the firewall connector.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
jack is gonna run the motor in and ship friday...so far it sure looks nice...figured out how to split the socket properly...no tabs, just a square socket with tits on it for alignment...a new harness is on the boards for the reassembly as are a handful of other worn out parts...elkymotor2.jpg

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
don, I asked for a driver with some umph so this is what I got...isky hydraulic flat tappet 0.510lift@050/0.224, 0.224...power band is supposed to pull hard at 2500-5500 rpm...10.25 compression ratio...exhaust manifolds are the 53/54 manifolds...heads are 409/340 hp with 2.07 intakes valves and 1.2 for the exhaust...