61 biscayne build

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Runs on the first coat, wow. What a clown. Even I'm not that bad. That sucks Dean.

I like what Jim said, carefully wet sand the whole car with 400 and start over. Any areas that he actually laid down flat you can just scuff and shoot over, any areas that popped or ran, you probably have to go down to the base again. Clear is pretty forgiving I bet you could shoot it yourself.
I’ve never done bodywork or paint myself but I always hear that you have to stay with the same brand all the way through or there may be reactions is that the same with clearcoat do you need to run the same type of product

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Both true imo. If you lay clear over a wet base, or sealer over wet surfacer, that holds true for sure. Do what the tech sheet tells you. Same brand, whatever they want. I wouldn't risk it with how expensive materials are now.

After it's dry to sand, I don't think it matters much. The bond is all mechanical at that point, not chemical. Some expert body guys on here could probably chime in with better info.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
well, here are a couple shots sanded down.....now will go back over the thousand spots i missed, LOL .Still don't know if i will re-clear it or get someone else....all painters in my area are very busy....

Attachments

• Resized_20230427_161235(5).jpg
    Resized_20230427_161235(5).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Resized_20230427_161311(4).jpg
    Resized_20230427_161311(4).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 42

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
well, my biscayne is home now....found a painter that repaired?? my messed up clear coat, but it will need a serious buff job. Right now i am prepping the glass for install, which brings me to my current help question. I need to visit with anyone who has ever messed with the back window chrome off a Impala"sedan" 61 chevy. I am trying to add Impala trim to my Biscayne back window to cover up that ugly rain drain going across the back of the roof.....anyone that has a Biscayne and most Belairs have no stainless around the rear window and it is not very pretty. It looks like the corner post have to be removed from the car to install the corner stainless pieces....has anyone attempted this? this was 61 year only, thanks for looking

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It was hard enough to get the window in without breaking it, fortunately I know an old-school glass expert. I left my Belair as-is, perhaps ugly. There is only stainless around the bottom.
Can we get a picture of that area. Guess I never seen any since they were not real plentiful around here back in the day. I can't imagine that being that ugly????

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sorry, no offense meant, just that the impala has filled that grove across the roof with stainless for a much cleaner look... i do have the same bottom stainless as you Dave, and that my be all i use. My car actually came with no stainless in the back window, just a thin strip of molding imbedded in the original rubber. I am at a loss as to how the "impala" trim was even installed. LOL

Reactions: 327

Shaark92

Well Known Member
well, my biscayne is home now....found a painter that repaired?? my messed up clear coat, but it will need a serious buff job. Right now i am prepping the glass for install, which brings me to my current help question. I need to visit with anyone who has ever messed with the back window chrome off a Impala"sedan" 61 chevy. I am trying to add Impala trim to my Biscayne back window to cover up that ugly rain drain going across the back of the roof.....anyone that has a Biscayne and most Belairs have no stainless around the rear window and it is not very pretty. It looks like the corner post have to be removed from the car to install the corner stainless pieces....has anyone attempted this? this was 61 year only, thanks for looking
I remember this was a PITA during "Polly's" restoration. Getting the molding clips was a "thing" too. I'll talk to my shop guy about it. I didn't physically install the molding myself, but I did get the clips. I think classic eventually had 'em.

that whole supply chain thing really put our project into a tail spin just as we were on short final approach for landing.

hat's off to ya, sir

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
My problem was HOW TOO INSTALL the stainless...think i have figured out the painted vertical corner pieces have to be removed from the car and "replaced" with the stainless pieces and while they are off the center roof piece has to be slid into the center roof with some kind of clips....wish i had installed the stainless before i painted the car...LOL

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
to my knowledge the rear glass stainless is installed on 2 door sedans with reveal molding clips (like the 2 door hardtop models)
Like these correct ones from Southeast Chevy Parts in Florida (they will know how your stainless is installed...)

note that they are listed for 1961 to 1964 2 door sedans...
The reveal molding clips are driven onto the pinch weld then the back glass is installed -if your glass is still installed the reveal molding
clips should be there on the pinch weld (if they were not damaged during stainless removal

Southeast Chevy is the founder of the Late Great Chevy Club for 58-64 Chevys

Paul

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Paul you are right ... on the strip that is at the BOTTOM of the rear window, but the 61 "sedan" side post stainless are on the body (away from the glass) and go up into the roof on 61 "only" sedans..I have just finished a mock up of the side of the back glass, and i did have to remove the side Biscayne trim and replace with the stainless...just waiting for the top roof center strip clips from Danny Howe in Florida. He says the clips were also used on the 59-60 El Camino and they are a really weird shape I have 3 that aren't broken but require more....glass not installed, but it will be about 4" away from the roof stainless......this is the only year to my knowledge that a passenger car was built like this, hence the slang "porch roof". See Dave"s 2nd picture

Attachments

• Resized_20230605_175043.jpg
    Resized_20230605_175043.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: