61 biscayne build

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dean:

Dang, James and I passed within a few miles of Day Automotive around 3:00 PM yesterday afternoon on the way back from meeting up with Paul S. We could have been witnesses for the dyno run!

Good luck!

TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dean,With right at 450 cubic inches,I'd suggest a larger tube,like 1 7/8's or possibly 2 inch.That Wilson header looks perfect for an engine that has this broad of a power band.Tell us more about the cam,please.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sorry Don, don't get the paper work till i pick up the engine Tues. so no cam specs at this moment...time for show and tell again. My friend who is building the 61 vert has these 2 pieces that came with all the parts baskets he acquired. I am stumped; perhaps one of you can help. They are stainless and obviously a right and left (they are wired together to keep from gettting lost)approximately 2-3 inches and bent along one side, and appear to be maybe inside trim from somewhere. Thanks

Attachments

• 20171005_143200.jpg
    20171005_143200.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20171005_143115.jpg
    20171005_143115.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 25

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is were they go on 61 to 64 Convertible interiors.
They hold the back of the interior piece above the arm rests in place. The body of the car is drilled for this stainless pieces and uses small philps head screws.
You should polish them on a buffer wheel.

They should be used with the 61 to 64 original metal top rails on assembled interior panels(& the metal door rails).
Reproduction top rails are junk and will not stay in place. I just spent 5-6 hours trying to make repro top rails to stay in place on
a friends 62 SS convertible (the rear windows will push the repro interior pieces off the top of the panels.... So I am sending to Cars Inc 61 to 64 convertble rear top rails to have new covers installed and "then install the panels with the chrome pieces in my pictures to hold the panels. Original metal rails have two push on clips on each metal rail to Attach to the top of the interior metal panel on the car to prevent the windows from pushing the interior panels off there mounted locations.

Paul
IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0288.JPG

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thanks Paul, i have already passed it on to my friend....he has commented many times about buying a basket case car and never had one before...he has used my bubble top many times to find out how things go together, but mines not a convertible, so many thanks to you all who DO know these cars, Dean

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
looking for info on 333 heads....what is stock valve size and what about exhaust seats(thin wall?) 2 premier builders...... 1 says no seats and 1 says won't build heads without at least exhaust seats...any one care to way in with experiences? what size valves can be put in. these heads are going on my 409 stroked 348 w/mild cam and 2X4's on offy manifold. want it to run well.....but not set on kill. I have a pair of 2 1/2 in. exhaust for it.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The valve size on the 333 head is 1.94in,1.67ex.in stock form Dean.Now if your stroked 348 is based on a 409 crank,then I suggest going up to the stock 340 hp valve size of 2.065in.1.725ex.If it's based on a 4inch crank,then go up to the 2.195 intake. whichever valve size you go with,make sure that your bowls are blended in.As to hardened seats,be VERY careful here,these heads are easily ruined if the person doing them doesn't really know those heads.I'd suggest Tony Day over in Mo.For what you're doing,just use a stainless steel valve set and you'll be fine,you really don't need the seats replaced most of the time.

Last edited:

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
yes Don, you mean Tony Shaffer at Day Automotive...he is the one who built my stroker 409. He did say he could do the seats...but only for stock valve size, so you don't hit water. And i did decide just to put together a 348 w/409 crank using stock 409 rods....had to cheap out after 3.76 409 build. money, money you know.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well, my 447 c.i. motor is done and home now, and my 409 stroked 348 shortblock is home...only the 333 heads left to build. Am looking to buy 11/32 valves probably .100 longer. I need help finding stainless exhaust around 1.70 size. Am planning on a intake of 2.10 size. Can get the intakes ok but having trouble find exhaust....suggestions?? HOPE YOU ALL AND YOUR FAMILIES HAD A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I noticed that Show-Cars had 2.09's listed in place of the 2.06's,and the 1.72's but that's likely 3/8 stem.I don't know if you're planning on a stought roller cam or not.Perhaps check with Ferra?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Give Competion Products a call,they have big block valves available in 11/32 stem sizes,2.08 in.,and 1.72 exhaust in some various lengths.You might also ask Tony Shaffer,I'll bet he's done this kind of thing before as well.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Anyone help me with "approx" comp. ratio using 333 uncut heads on 348 single notch block with .040 everbore and 10 &1/2 icon pistons? Also, still looking for 11/32 stainless "exhaust" valves btw. 1.67 & 1.72 longer than stock, and i don't know that length. Thanks, Dean

Last edited:

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Don, am using 2.09-2.10 intakes, and just looking to put in 1.67 to 1.72 exhaust valves with 11/32 stems...i have already found intake valves.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dean,you might want to look at Ferra pn.5176.They are 5.11 long,1.77 head,11/32 stem Pontiac valves.You could always cut the head diameter down.