61 biscayne build

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Always quick to learn...or is it slow to learn??? Anyway, replaced all the body mount donuts on my Biscayne; now i am curious to how much i should tighten them down ( torque value? ).....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dean

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
well, tired of wiping car off with a rag that gets left behind hanging up on the surface rust (LOL) so taking it apart and painting fresh sea foam green paint job and maybe white top this winter.....hopefully will have new pictures later this winter of a new paint job.....oh, and i did pick up my new TKX 5 speed in Fort Worth last month on my way back from San Antonio visiting with family. Will be looking forward to next summer!

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well, tired of wiping car off with a rag that gets left behind hanging up on the surface rust (LOL) so taking it apart and painting fresh sea foam green paint job and maybe white top this winter.....hopefully will have new pictures later this winter of a new paint job.....oh, and i did pick up my new TKX 5 speed in Fort Worth last month on my way back from San Antonio visiting with family. Will be looking forward to next summer!
:happy

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Dean,
I have pictures of the TKX 5 speed during installation in my 62 Impala 409 SS if you need them.

I have factory clutch linkage with the TKX, with QuickTime scattershield. I kept the McLeod clutch and pressure plate I installed with my Richmond 5 speed that works great with stock clutch linkage.

I changed the shifter(bought a new shifter ) for the TKX to replace the existing center of the transmission shifter that it came with the TKX.
The shifter that came on the TKX that I bought last summer was mounted vertically in the center shifter location on the TKX -this shifter location does not fit 61 to 64 Chevys...)

This new TKX shifter was to fit the factory shifter location(to the left 2 inches and back 1 inch on the TKX) for a factory 4 speed shifter used on Borg Warner 4 speed & Muncie 4 speed shifters (17.5 inches from the face of the bell housing to the center of the shifter).
I strongly think you need to have the TKX shifter to fit the factory 4 speed shifter location when converting to a 5 speed.
I also wanted to fit my factory 4 speed tunnel cover with the new TKX shifter

I had a curved mount made to fit factory frame mounts and the new TKX rear transmission mount location (the rear transmission mount has to move the rear transmission mount back 1 & 1/2 inches from the stock rear tranmission mounting hole center line
The driveshaft was changed (shortened from the Richmond 5 speed I had in the car -the TKX is ) and switched to 1350 joints and a 2 piece slip joint driveshaft from the 1310 joints with a billet carrier. The TKX is 2.1 inches longer than a Muncie or Borg Warner 4 speed.

The TKX 5 speed and driveshaft with a new Ford 9" rear end was tested on the 409 Iowa race in Cedar Falls last summer.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
First the Richmond 5 speed I was using(this transmission is not built today...) was the 3:28 first gear and was non overdrive 5 speed (1 to 1 in 5 gear). This Richmond 5 speed in my opinion shifts like a Muncie or Borg Warner 4 speeds. Its does not shift like and internal rail 5 speed (ratchity shifing transmission). Also this Richmond 5 speed - 1 to 1 in 5th -uses a Hurst 5 speed Shifter and this shifter mounts at 16.5 inches from the bell housing face as compared to the factory 4 speed at 17.5 inches
In order to take advantage of the 1 to 1 in 5th gear and the 3.28 1st gear you need to run 3:08 posi rear end.

The Richmond 5 speed I used did not require tunnel modifications which is what I wanted (using the 4 speed tunnel cover for the shifter).

There is now sold today the Richmond 5 speed Super Street transmission with 3.28 and even 2.89 first gear at a Cost of $ 3800. Overdrive in this Richmond 5 speed is 0.77 (as compared to the TKX 0.68 5th gear). Another issue with this (now sold )Richmond 5 speed super street overdrive is it it only uses a Long 5 speed shifter located at 18.0 inches from the bell housing face or 3.75 inches back from the factory 4 speed shifter centerline. The Long 5 speed Shifter is very good for operation- but the Long shifter body is also about 2 inches higher vertically than a Hurst 5 speed Shifter for a Richmond 1 to 1 - 5th gear tranmission.

The TKX case is much smaller than a TKO/Tremec with the big cases that require floor modifications and TKO/Tremec transmissions are more expensive than the TKX 5 speed -The TKX fits the factory floor pan in 61 to 64 Chevys using a 4 speed tunnel cover.
The TKX has a better shifter location (it can match the factory shifter location by using a shifter designed to move the shifter handle to the factory 4 speed location (keeping the factory 4 speed boot or factory SS shift plate on SS cars.

I used the 2.87 1st gear TKX with 0.68 overdrive 5th gear in my 62 Impala SS 409 stroker motor Hardtop.
The TKX has a better overdrive ratio 0.68 lowering the 70 MPH RPMs on the highway vs 0.77 in the Richmond

The base price of the TKX $2795 is very good even after adding the correct shifter to fit 61 to 64 Impalas. The TKX comes with 3 different shifter locations and can fit almost any model Chevrolet & GM cars and pickups 1955 to 1970s
I purchased my TKX for $ 2795 without tax and with free shipping (special at Goodguys in Des Monies, Iowa)

The TKX us strong enough to withstand my 520 HP 409 stroker motor in my 62 Impala SS Hardtop (It handles 600 ft/lb of torque and 8000 RPM shifts)

With both Richmond 5 speed overdrive and TKX 5 speed overdrive you do need to make a new rear transmsision mount. I had one made to fit the factory frame mounts vs welding on my power coated frames.
I use a square folding Hurst boot with my 62 SS shift plate in my 62 Impala SS Hardtop and will do the same in my 62 Impala SS 409 convertible (vs the round boot for the round handle factory style shifter handle.

Paul

montemike79

Well Known Member
Thanks, I was just curious. I put one of the new Richmond 5 spds with overdrive in my Nova last yr and so far it's been fine. I have a doug nash with the same gearing as your previous Richmond that I'm going to put in my '62 for the time being. I found a crossmember made for a 700r4 I believe that worked. Down the road will probably end up with a TKX in that car.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
First the Richmond 5 speed I was using(this transmission is not built today...) was the 3:28 first gear and was non overdrive 5 speed (1 to 1 in 5 gear). This Richmond 5 speed in my opinion shifts like a Muncie or Borg Warner 4 speeds. Its does not shift like and internal rail 5 speed (ratchity shifing transmission). Also this Richmond 5 speed - 1 to 1 in 5th -uses a Hurst 5 speed Shifter and this shifter mounts at 16.5 inches from the bell housing face as compared to the factory 4 speed at 17.5 inches
In order to take advantage of the 1 to 1 in 5th gear and the 3.28 1st gear you need to run 3:08 posi rear end.

The Richmond 5 speed I used did not require tunnel modifications which is what I wanted (using the 4 speed tunnel cover for the shifter).

There is now sold today the Richmond 5 speed Super Street transmission with 3.28 and even 2.89 first gear at a Cost of $ 3800. Overdrive in this Richmond 5 speed is 0.77 (as compared to the TKX 0.68 5th gear). Another issue with this (now sold )Richmond 5 speed super street overdrive is it it only uses a Long 5 speed shifter located at 18.0 inches from the bell housing face or 3.75 inches back from the factory 4 speed shifter centerline. The Long 5 speed Shifter is very good for operation- but the Long shifter body is also about 2 inches higher vertically than a Hurst 5 speed Shifter for a Richmond 1 to 1 - 5th gear tranmission.

The TKX case is much smaller than a TKO/Tremec with the big cases that require floor modifications and TKO/Tremec transmissions are more expensive than the TKX 5 speed -The TKX fits the factory floor pan in 61 to 64 Chevys using a 4 speed tunnel cover.
The TKX has a better shifter location (it can match the factory shifter location by using a shifter designed to move the shifter handle to the factory 4 speed location (keeping the factory 4 speed boot or factory SS shift plate on SS cars.

I used the 2.87 1st gear TKX with 0.68 overdrive 5th gear in my 62 Impala SS 409 stroker motor Hardtop.
The TKX has a better overdrive ratio 0.68 lowering the 70 MPH RPMs on the highway vs 0.77 in the Richmond

The base price of the TKX $2795 is very good even after adding the correct shifter to fit 61 to 64 Impalas. The TKX comes with 3 different shifter locations and can fit almost any model Chevrolet & GM cars and pickups 1955 to 1970s
I purchased my TKX for $ 2795 without tax and with free shipping (special at Goodguys in Des Monies, Iowa)

The TKX us strong enough to withstand my 520 HP 409 stroker motor in my 62 Impala SS Hardtop (It handles 600 ft/lb of torque and 8000 RPM shifts)

With both Richmond 5 speed overdrive and TKX 5 speed overdrive you do need to make a new rear transmsision mount. I had one made to fit the factory frame mounts vs welding on my power coated frames.
I use a square folding Hurst boot with my 62 SS shift plate in my 62 Impala SS Hardtop and will do the same in my 62 Impala SS 409 convertible (vs the round boot for the round handle factory style shifter handle.

Paul

Have mercy Paul...shifting at 8,000.... :fear2

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Paul, hope all is well with you and have a Merry Christmas! Sounds like we bought the same TKX gear wise and i also bought the offset shifter to go out the stock 4 speed hole...have you driven yours yet? I hear they will handle pretty high power shifts; my Super t-10 will not power shift at all and that drives me crazy!! So the .68 overdrive will be nice with my 4:10 which i didn't want to get rid of....but with body and paint going on now probably will not get my trans in till early spring....have a Happy New Year all!!

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Barry, really enjoyed my visit with you down in Texas...hope you are having a great Christmas and hope to see you again next summer. Since i decided to go ahead and paint my Biscayne that will let me out of buying your neighbors 62 gold impala.....would not have been happy without more work on his car anyway and i have limited amount of disposable? income...LOL!

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Happy New Year all ! Couple pics with my now stripped Biscayne (look Ma, no rust!) My friend and painter Ben (shown) stripped car with a DA in 3 days, and now on to bodywork....a couple pin holes were found under rear window and will be welded up...pretty clean otherwise....this is my 5th 61 to be torn down and i'm amazed that it still had all its original glass, including windshield. Front and back glass pulled right after i took these pics.

Attachments

• Resized_20221228_173327(2).jpg
    Resized_20221228_173327(2).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Resized_20221228_173345(4).jpg
    Resized_20221228_173345(4).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 35

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
info please, i will now need to get my 1 piece bumpers re-chromed....any suggestions on "reasonable" LOL, places that do decent work without having to rob a bank......thanks, Dean

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I priced rechroming front & back 62 Chevy california one piece bumpers ( at Back to the Fifties)
price was from Northern Plating in Brainerd, Mn. Price was good till Dec of 2022.
price was $2000 for both bumpers……
I paid under $500 to $600 per one piece bumper locally for years( that company in South Sioux City, Nebraska, closed 3 years ago)

A friend had both front & rear 62 Chevy 3 piece bumpers done in early 2022 - cost was $1400 for both.
His bumpers were done at Industrial Plating in Omaha( good company).
They have to send out one piece bumpers to Minnesota ( but stopped doing it because of the high cost).
Paul

Reactions: 327

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thanks Paul, will ck. with northern plating....could that be North Star Plating.....that's all i can find in Brainerd, Mn.