'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I found Quality Plating in Sterling Illinois. Gary quoted me $1200 for my bumpers and $50 for the guards. He's chroming my Biscayne scripts for $110
Gave him my 61 Belair horn center piece and ring he's charging me $135 for those. Up to 16 weeks wait he said for the bumpers. Should have my emblems back sooner.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I'm looking into making my own door cards. I found most of the parts in Eklers Impala Parts catalog.Curious if anyone has built them for their cars? Just need to find the material I want.
Are the panel top rails easily reusable? They at just a little surface rust. My concern is the staples and the star holes punched in them to hold the cardboard.

t.20171210_083923.jpg

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I'm looking into making my own door cards. I found most of the parts in Eklers Impala Parts catalog.Curious if anyone has built them for their cars? Just need to find the material I want.
Are the panel top rails easily reusable? They at just a little surface rust. My concern is the staples and the star holes punched in them to hold the cardboard.

t.View attachment 57498

1. Use only the original metal top rails -do not use repros -repros "do not fit" You also need the full metal edge rails with the nails on the metal edge rails to correctly install your door panels to your doors (with new plastic push in piece in the doors for the nails).. The fold over nails that I see on "other door panels " are junk and don't work.
  2. you also have to install fuzzies to the interior edges of the door and 1/4 panels by the windows. Repops is the best brand like the originals.......they were originally installed with staples to the panels
  3. The door panels "with the paritally stamped door cardboards -with partially stamped in the cardboard -door handle holes, arm rest holes, vent window handle holes" --- I have seen boards sold without the holes marked (they are junk..)
  4. When door panels are made by Cars Inc are "stamped by a giant machine to the metal top rails" similar to the the original panels on the cardboard. I am not sure how Ciadella does their door panels to the cardboard.
  5. I was just at Cars Inc and toured their interior door panels and seat covers section. I saw how they do door panels -installation of the metal edges, top rails etc.
  6. The Assembled door panels Kit come with windlace for around the doors (to staple to the cardboard pieces in the door jambs), cardboard kick panels under the dash for the 2 vents (installed with rivets to the cardboard ) and windlace for the underdash cardboard vent kick panels -that windlace was originally sewed to cardboard pieces that are attached to the painted metal pieces that hold the cardboard. They also come with arm rest cover material.
With all these items listed above, I decided a long time ago after six to - eight --- 1961 to 1963 interiors that I have done that its not worth the extra effort without the right tools to do unassembled interior door panels and 1/4 panel pieces . "years ago " I had a local interior shop install my door panels for about the same cost as pre - assembled panels if not more cost.

There is not that much difference in price with quality materials between unassembled door interior panels/1/4 panel - to much margin for error trying to assemble interior door &1/4 panels. You could ruin your unassembled door panel material...
In fact I checked Cars Inc and Ciadella and neither one of them list unassembled door panels (kits).

Ciadella has a number of non original door panel options that they sell pre assembled

Use only Cars Inc or Ciadella materials(NO OTHER COMPANIES) -Ecklers lists their companies with the interiors they sell (the Bond Street address to send top rails is Cars Inc)
You need to check that its only one of those two companies.

Paul

sycsteve

Well Known Member
  1. Use only the original metal top rails -do not use repros -repros "do not fit" You also need the full metal edge rails with the nails on the metal edge rails to correctly install your door panels to your doors (with new plastic push in piece in the doors for the nails).. The fold over nails that I see on "other door panels " are junk and don't work.
  2. you also have to install fuzzies to the interior edges of the door and 1/4 panels by the windows. Repops is the best brand like the originals.......they were originally installed with staples to the panels
  3. The door panels "with the paritally stamped door cardboards -with partially stamped in the cardboard -door handle holes, arm rest holes, vent window handle holes" --- I have seen boards sold without the holes marked (they are junk..)
  4. When door panels are made by Cars Inc are "stamped by a giant machine to the metal top rails" similar to the the original panels on the cardboard. I am not sure how Ciadella does their door panels to the cardboard.
  5. I was just at Cars Inc and toured their interior door panels and seat covers section. I saw how they do door panels -installation of the metal edges, top rails etc.
  6. The Assembled door panels Kit come with windlace for around the doors (to staple to the cardboard pieces in the door jambs), cardboard kick panels under the dash for the 2 vents (installed with rivets to the cardboard ) and windlace for the underdash cardboard vent kick panels -that windlace was originally sewed to cardboard pieces that are attached to the painted metal pieces that hold the cardboard. They also come with arm rest cover material.
With all these items listed above, I decided a long time ago after six to - eight --- 1961 to 1963 interiors that I have done that its not worth the extra effort without the right tools to do unassembled interior door panels and 1/4 panel pieces . "years ago " I had a local interior shop install my door panels for about the same cost as pre - assembled panels if not more cost.

There is not that much difference in price with quality materials between unassembled door interior panels/1/4 panel - to much margin for error trying to assemble interior door &1/4 panels. You could ruin your unassembled door panel material...
In fact I checked Cars Inc and Ciadella and neither one of them list unassembled door panels (kits).

Ciadella has a number of non original door panel options that they sell pre assembled

Use only Cars Inc or Ciadella materials(NO OTHER COMPANIES) -Ecklers lists their companies with the interiors they sell (the Bond Street address to send top rails is Cars Inc)
You need to check that its only one of those two companies.

Paul

I'll take that into consideration. Thanks. I have done much harder with less tools. I'd be more worried about ruining the material I put on the card material than the card they are cheap. Pneumatic staplers are not expensive and I was thinking I could use 1/8" X 3/8" rivets for the top rails to the card material if I have to or even 6/32 screws and nuts.
Neither of those companies have any pictures of their 61 or 62 door panels. I'll give them a call next week and see what they offer for custom interiors. I have only spoken to one local guy in DeKalb so far.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Ciadella has lots of pictures on their web site of various types of custom door panels -not close ups but the different options. I counted about 8 to 10 different options - don’t put in a year when you open their web site - just page down to review custom pictures.
The harder installation is the fuzzies on the top inside of each panel.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You are asking about the two large J nuts for the front bumper bracket mount on the rear bumper and the front bumper round support bracket mount to the frame J nuts(they are slightly smaller than the rear ones) ?
If these are the large J nuts you are asking about, I have not seen any reproductions that are sold.
Paul

sycsteve

Well Known Member
You are asking about the two large J nuts for the front bumper bracket mount on the rear bumper and the front bumper round support bracket mount to the frame J nuts(they are slightly smaller than the rear ones) ?
If these are the large J nuts you are asking about, I have not seen any reproductions that are sold.
Paul

I was asking about both. The rear I think would be nice to have. It's kind of a pain getting it together while trying to hold it all together. I found a few on Ebay but wasn't sure if they were the right size.