'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
See this post were I replied to your exact question with the information on a Richmond 5 speed, were another member (Thoms63SSQB) asked about matching the tunnel cover opening for a factory 4 speed car.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/transmission.40602/#post-435854

I have Richmond in my 62 SS 409 convertible, it is the earlier version 5 speed with a Hurst 5 speed shifter.

The difference with the Richmond you posted is that the shifter used (Long 5 speed or Long 6 speed) and the shifter location moves to the rear (note my table of shifter locations). Also note that a friend of mine had a 6 speed in his 62 bubble top (that is noted in this post link from above with some pictures of that 62)

I have pictures of the bottom of a 1961 Chevy Belair Bubble top with a Richmond 6 speed - that matches the 5 speed you posted "without the transmission installed" , to show were the factory 4 speed tunnel cover with the round hole, has to move to fit around the shifter.

I have to get the 6 speed pictures copied to my computer, since I could not find the original post from a another member on this site from the state of Washington who had a 61 Chevy with a Richmond 6 speed (& 5 speed ) overdrive transmission. Note my comments on the 3 different Richmond transmissions. That member sold his 61 Chevy with a 409 and the Richmond transmission as did my friend who sold his 62 Bubble top 409 stroker motor with the Richmond.

Paul

sycsteve

Well Known Member
See this post were I replied to your exact question with the information on a Richmond 5 speed, were another member (Thoms63SSQB) asked about matching the tunnel cover opening for a factory 4 speed car.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/transmission.40602/#post-435854

I have Richmond in my 62 SS 409 convertible, it is the earlier version 5 speed with a Hurst 5 speed shifter.

The difference with the Richmond you posted is that the shifter used (Long 5 speed or Long 6 speed) and the shifter location moves to the rear (note my table of shifter locations). Also note that a friend of mine had a 6 speed in his 62 bubble top (that is noted in this post link from above with some pictures of that 62)

I have pictures of the bottom of a 1961 Chevy Belair Bubble top with a Richmond 6 speed - that matches the 5 speed you posted "without the transmission installed" , to show were the factory 4 speed tunnel cover with the round hole, has to move to fit around the shifter.

I have to get the 6 speed pictures copied to my computer, since I could not find the original post from a another member on this site from the state of Washington who had a 61 Chevy with a Richmond 6 speed (& 5 speed ) overdrive transmission. Note my comments on the 3 different Richmond transmissions. That member sold his 61 Chevy with a 409 and the Richmond transmission as did my friend who sold his 62 Bubble top 409 stroker motor with the Richmond.

Paul

Thanks. That's a lot longer than I figured. Hope to get one and swap it out before spring if work is steady.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I am not sure what you mean by a lot longer. 4 speed Muncies and 4 speed Borg Warner(and PG) transmissions are the same length as the Richmond 5 or 6 speeds. Only the shifter moves on the Richmonds.

I found these pictures of a 6 speed (or a 5 speed with overdrive) installed in a 62 Impala convertible from this site)
My friends bench seat 62 bubble top with a 6 speed -not my pick for a Richmond (picture in my link above) has its Long 5 speed/6 speed shifter fit in front of the bench seat.
For the link with these 2 pictures below -- the member who did it confirmed moving the 4 speed tunnel cover to the rear about 2 inches around the Long shifter in the picture(s). I am sure it fits in front of the stock floor pan brace that runs on the front raised edge of the 2 front floor pans.

You will have to make a new rear transmission mount. I had a really nice curved mount made for the Richmond 5 speed and I "did not have to move the factory frame transmission mounts"
Paul

20180419_104519.jpg20180418_122824.jpg

sycsteve

Well Known Member
From your chart of measurements it looks to be 3" further back to the center of the shifter from the muncie?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I think from looking at my actual pictures posted on Dec 13th, in the link and the above picture I think it’s more like 2.5 inches - these measurements that I posted I think might not be to the same location on the shifter body.
I had to measure my Muncie 4 speed in the car - the other Richmond shifter locations are from factory manuals.

With the pictures confirming actual visual Richmond 5/6 speed overdrive locations, it’s more important that the shifters fit 61 to 64’s floor pans and long brace under the floor and tunnel cover without modification to the stock parking brake and the seats in the cars.

You need the tunnel cover for the boot to cover the shifter properly - to fit over the shifter. A square medium size folding type hurst shifter boot is probably needed. Hurst boots come in different sizes. I have a Hurst medium sized boot inside the opening in my 62 SS chrome shift plate.
I would replace the vertical chrome Long shifter handle with a bolt on curved handle. There are numerous hurst handles available ( at least 10 curved ones ). I researched the handles available and purchased a different handle that I checked for fit in the car when shifting on my 62 SS 409 ( the blue interior SS pictures on my Dec 13th post has a curved handle ). I also switched the 5 speed knob from the one that came with my Hurst shifter.

My friend with the 62 Chevy 409 bubble top actually modified the shifter rods on his first Richmond 5 speed Hurst shifter to move the shifter to fit the factory 4 speed location tunnel cover round hole. This arm modification could be considered including possibly lowering the Long shifter mount. With the pictures I posted of the of the 2 - 5/6 speeds w/overdrive Richmond transmissions in the 2-62’s these possible shifter modiifictions “should not be necessary”.

Paul

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I think I am going to buy a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit instead of changing everything I have already done. Seems like a good thing then I will have an 8 speed lol. Then all I really need to modify is my drive shaft.
Has anyone used these billet hood hinges or are they a waste of money? I'm tired of my hood not shutting all the way in the back and it moves side to side and chipped my paint. I have two sets to have rebuilt but kind of like the billet look lol.

https://www.impalaparts.com/61BHHRMF-D/

sycsteve

Well Known Member
If anyone knows of a Biscayne rear bench seat lower part in decent shape let me know. My nice one disappeared over the years and moving 4 times.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
YOU asked
"Has anyone used these billet hood hinges or are they a waste of money? I'm tired of my hood not shutting all the way in the back and it moves side to side and chipped my paint. I have two sets to have rebuilt but kind of like the billet look lol. "

Here is a comment on the billet hinges.
Rebuild original factory hinges with new rivets are just as good and are 1/2 the cost or less than billet hinges.
See the attached pictures of 61 hinges with new rivets I just sold -the hinges are as good as NOS original hinges that have never been on a car.
PaulIMG_0039-004.JPGIMG_0040-005.JPGIMG_0041-005.JPGIMG_0042-004.JPGIMG_0043-004.JPG