62 biscayne 409 project

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I might be able to come and haul it off for you after work tomorrow night, what size is it?

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Joey, if you're not going to do anything with it except scrap and I would be interested in it., I have a plan for it in the future:rub:think just thought it might save you the trouble. Let me know thanks!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sweet, we'll have to get togather, Thanks!!! I have a Sturgeon address so I'm not too far from you...:good

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Joey upon further research I have discovered that I actually need a 250 cubic inch or a 230 cubic inch later model 6 cylinder. I think the 235 has Babbitt rods and I'm not looking to mess with that. Let me know if you have anything in a 230 / 250 later model 6 cylinder. Thanks

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My friend is dead set on a230/250 block, and yeah the 292 crank but it does need to have a standard bolt pattern for the bellhousing for Chevy transmissions. Thanks Don and James. He's going to build a complete engine out of the 250 block and he is putting a stroker crank in it. It's for a 32 Chevy 2 door sedan.....

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Took a break from cleaning to take a look at the 409.
Had one problem that the engine would turn one way for a bit then it would lock up, then it would turn back the other way then lock up again. :wtf So after some checking I find the front of the pan is crushed in a little from being strapped down on a pallet. Good news!!!
Now another thing, I notice that when I do turn it over(by hand) that the valves are making a creaking noise. :scratch So I put air to one cylinder then remove the valve springs to check the valves. They feel smooth, so then I put the spring in my drill press so I can compress it and the noise I hear is in the spring. Cain't say that I have ever ran into this before.
One other thing I notice is on of the lifters has a very strange pattern on it, goes up and down fine and rotates fine. Not a clue how, why or what caused it.
20191126_142635.jpg

Something tells me this lifter didn't come from this engine.